Start Offering more to Rural Communities

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Start Offering more to Rural Communities

I was once a Rogers cable, cell and internet customer. I moved for a wonderful job opportunity, but was told I could not get all my services transferred because I live a mere 10 minute (max) outside of town. Now I have a stick, and a hub (because the stick just wasn't offering enough GB for the price) the hub still costs me a fortune.

I would like Rogers to step up their game and provide full service to more areas. I see your ads on TV all the time, but I have yet to see the disclaimer where it shows that the services advertised will not be available to everyone. Not "may not" but "will not" . 

I am tired of having to pay more for less service than those who live within a town do. Your solution of the hub was a great idea, but should only have been a temporary fix. You would find many customers happier with your company and willing to switch if you spend more money into expanding your service availability areas and offering your services to all. Quite frankly, other providers are offering the same set-up so there is no real incentive to switch. It would be the same problems just with a different company.

Please expand further out from the towns and cities some more. Your rural customers would rather direct access than using cell phone towers. This one customer in particular would like to take advantage of your cable internet. Now if only your cables came out this far.

Please work on this.

***edited labels***

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Start Offering more to Rural Communities

Oh man you are barking up a dead dog's  thinking Rogers will do any of this.

Cable is out and so is wireless fixed.   This company is not going to spend money to service one customer in the country.  Xplornet already has systems all over the place with the help of gov't grants and the lack of customer sign ups and so do a lot of small operations, but they all had a promise of customer sign ups before spending any money to provide the service.   Rogers jumping on the wagon now is unthinkable.  Shop around and pick another provider if it's possible.   

I too think Rogers should at least compete for the hub market with lower costs and higher usage but I'm also barking up the dead dog's .

**edited for content**

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@RMeadowhawk:

you are truly a "voice crying in the wilderness"!

The powers to do something for the "rural" areas of our great country rest with those who truly do not care about your priorities.  The communications companies have actively practiced "cherry picking" for years.  They rush to provide service to the well-populated areas of the country, but, for "economic" (i.e., profitability) reasons, they under-serve the less well populated areas.  I know of areas as little as twenty miles outside the larger centers such as Toronto which do not have DSL service let alone cable TV, even today.

I remember building a house just outside of Ottawa in the 1970's where we still had telephone service through party lines at that time.

At one time the federal government through agencies like the CRTC had a policy of providing at least basic telephone services to "all" Canadians.  Local telephone access charges were kept artificially low by allowing the monopoly telephone companies to charge higher long distance rates.  There is no reason why a similar approach could not be used to prod/encourage the current crop of telecommunications companies to provide services to the more rural areas of Canada.

Such a strategy would inevitably result in higher Internet access and usage charges to a large proportion of the Canadian population.  Just like there is no free lunch, there is also no free Internet access.  The politicians just do not have the stomach for the debate such a change would cause.

The current conventional wisdom in Ottawa is that the profit motive should reign supreme.  And there is proportionally very little profit to be made in the rural areas, as compared to Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, etc.  So, my friend, I am afraid you will be waiting a long time for any significant changes to occur.

skinorth

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I wasn't meaning just for one customer. I do know other people in rural areas who would like this. My mom is still using dial-up because she can't get any other internet.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

Would be nice if rural customers weren't discriminated against by being under serviced and over charged.

I pay far more for 5G of data then those in the city pay for unlimited.

I don't understand the rational behind it since once the towers are constructed and the connections established ( a few measly thousand dollars I'm guessing) , the only hurdle to cross would be band width availability and in rural areas the towers aren't likely to be that congested.

Economist have a term. I think it's called "price gouging" as there's virtually no competition.

Of course the CRTC isn't of any help at all as they state they do not control pricing so I don't know what they do.

Only other option is to have no internet as dial up is virtually useless these days except for email as web sites are now packed with graphics that take forever to download.

Forgot to mention that in our rural area , Telus won't even put in a land line anymore and if they can , it will take up to 2 years to get it in.

Maybe one day Rogers , Telus etc. will develop a conscience and treat us all fairly.

Probably not in my life time though.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I certainly agree with you, however, services like rogers, cogeco, and bell are capable of providing services in rural areas. Yes, as crazy as it sounds, they can, every house has an electrical box. In the city, majority of their big green junction box are located somewhere easily accesible for technicians where the whole block or area gets the service. For those who dont, that being us rural area guys, what rogers can do is connect a junction box to your electrical box. Its then "wired", meaning your area is servicable but just never has been active. You will have to call them, and "harass" them and let them know what you are talking about. I tried for 2 years, and was being continously rejected, till 2 days ago. I was informed by 10 people in one day, 6 telling me it is serviceable, gurnteed, while 4 tell me its not. I had two reps who came clear i would say or knew what they were talking about. Majority of the times internet providers tell you to buzz off, in polite words, you are out of the territory because we are on the border lines of their territory and they dont wantt to "Wate"/take a risk by setting you up due to legal issues if the territory belongs to cogeco or bell. You have to contunue on and bother them, bring up the junction box and about a referal form. This is a long process form for them, that they can fill out, but try not to due to the long procedure. What this form states is that your area is serviceable but due to being on the borders the system overthroughs the option of letting them set up an account for you. This special department sees that you are within their territory and will send a technician out.

P.s If they cant, then it means its cogecos territory, and they certainly can. Not too sure if this is new, but any cable internet provider can service but dont want to go through the hassel of confirming that you are within their territory or have technicians sent out so far "out" of their territory.

Best Lucks !

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Your post is a little confusing.

YEs, some more semi rural areas (like where i live) do have service..

But not all.. MOST of the people described here are in even more rural areas (farm areas where you are a good 5-10 mins walk from your neibour)... they do not have that option.

Your explanation about the exectrical box.. has nothing to do with cable.
Cable TV, while yes, often comes into the house, in the exact same location as your electrical box, etc... they are completely separate.  On the street they have their own boxes, down the streets they are their own cables, etc.  They  have nothing to do with electricity.

Many houses in very rural areas, will obviously have power out there.. but there are NO cable lines that go around that area... therefore, they can not get service.

Could an area, have the infrastructure there but not have service for a period? Yes..  But that is not a fairly common scenario.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I'm happy that you mentioned that, because you just described my "neighbourhood" I have only 2 neighbours one being 2 mins away by walk and the other being about 15-20, It mind sound a bit confusing, but no, if you are on the "borderline" they won't even bother processing it through till you harass them
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Rogers doesn't get direct cable into your house from their towers or anything, the minute you have an active cable line then any provider can service you if your within their jurisdiction...coming from experience, some one who wasn't "eligible" to get service, and I have no cable jacks running through from a junction box into my house, the one I do have is my personal that Rogers set up, now if I want any cable provider who's jurisdiction I fall under can provide, a lot of rural areas including me till a month ago have no wired cables going into their house in general...I didn't even have a cable jack
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Oh and about the electrical box and cable, yes that's exactly where the cable service comes from 🙂