Start Offering more to Rural Communities

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Start Offering more to Rural Communities

i suffer from 10 mins outside of big town syndrome too,no cable pay the prices some would for fibre when i get just above dial up speed on the HuB, 20 Gb a month is a joke

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

the Hub is usually fast enough when placed in certain areas of my home, in window or whatnot i dont even care that much about the speed, its the 20Gb a month for $100 plus is insane too me, if i had a reasonable data cap things would not be so bad

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Sorry folks, don't ask me to subsidize your internet.  Living in a rural or urban area has pros and cons.  I live in and inner suburban area of the city of Toronto and I can get very fast internet service.  But I have to put up with lots of hassles living in the city, including congestion, pollution, affordability of housing, etc.

I would argue that rural areas already get subsidized in may ways - like phone service, electricity and mail delivery.  These services are way cheaper to develop in very dense areas.

If you want service from Rogers then you may be able to get it if you pay the freight.  It might cost $50,000 or more but that is what it takes to run the cables or fibre to your house.  And if there are only a couple of homes in the area then there aren't many folks to pay for that capex.  Don't ask me to pay for that.  If it was economic to do so then I am sure that Rogers will be happy to do it.  Or start your own ISP and do it yourself.

I have no issue if Rogers wants to improve service in rural areas - but make those who will benefit pay the cost.

You might want to look into constructing a tower and point to point wifi with directional antennas.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Having paid for at work, the cost to pay for a Fibre line to be burried/ran only a mere 300m, under one road and one driveway (and then the connection and termination, etc)... it cost us almost 30k just for that.

There has to be enough of a RoI for rogers to run a line to somewhere 😞

(though overall, i do agree that data caps are way over priced)

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I have been extremely local to Rogers since leaving Telus years ago. I love everything about them EXCEPT the cost for mobile internet leaving in a RURAL area. It's unbelievable the cost to obtain internet in a rural location. It's time they step up and start competing with their competitors or they will start losing many customers. Customers = money. Does that not matter to them? Hurry up Rogers or the ship will be empty! 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

If they gave you a decent amount of usage per month (100 or 250 GB, maybe), mobile internet over LTE would actually be a viable option for rural areas, but the prices charged for even 20 GB is out of reach and unreasonable for most people.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think thats the key.

The USAGE needs to a lot cheaper/more affordable on the wireless.

WIRED internet in all rural areas?  May never come.  The cost of putting in the equipment and running all the new lines for everything? Not worth the money.. they would loose too much money.

DSL is a little more available in some rural areas, due to the infrastructure of the phone lines being there already.. but is even still not available to many.  

Cellular, generally at least gets SOME coverage in the more rural areas.

But as you said, the usage costs are very high.

Unlimited sure would be nice.. but even if just more on part with the other comparable wired plans.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Time to get better rural rates. Will lose customers if you don't hurry up and get competitive 

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I love dealing with Rogers which is why I am giving them a bit to get in line with what the competitors are offering. I currently use the hub and reception and speed is excellent. 

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Their prices are insane. Hope they start to compete soon or I will have to leave.