Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standalone Internet With The XB6 Modem

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

XB6 modem without Ignite TV??

Okay, this is new:  Instructions on how to install the XB6 gateway... and the self-install video suggests that it it no longer exclusive to Ignite TV.

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/how-to-setup-your-ignite-gateway

However, I have not seen any announcements yet about the XB6 being available to a broader customer base, nor anything about a self-install option for Ignite TV.

*** Edited Labels/Title ***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Standalone Internet With The XB6 Modem

Hello @lethalsniper,

This is a great question and I'd like to clarify for you. 😊

If you are presently on a legacy internet option, you do need to migrate over to our new Ignite platform in order to swap out your CODA modem for the new XB6 modem as it is housed on a different platform. You wouldn't be able to simply swap out your CODA for the XB6 at the store.

This doesn't mean that you have to bundle your internet with TV as that is optional. You can still have an 'internet only' service if you'd like. The choice is yours. 🙂

If you are interested in moving over to a new Ignite internet option with the XB6 modem, you may reach out to us using any of the following avenues of support:

By Phone: 1-888-764-3771

Monday to Sunday: 7 am-midnight (ET)

Live Chat Online: (click the link below and select 'Ignite TV Inquiries')

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/support/contactus#

Message us on Twitter @RogersHelps or send a message on Facebook.com/Rogers

24/7

Send us a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please CLICK HERE.

Cheers!

RogersLaura

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Raveneire
I plan to stick around

It's a bit odd they would make a self install video with no option to actually self install the equipment, might be something coming down the pipeline as they seem to be making quite a bit of changes to areas that already have the Ignite TV services (rebuilding nodes/network uplift)

The area I live in is known to be beta testing grounds so maybe I'll inquire with customer service/Rogers Store for more information throughout the month.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As I mentioned in another thread, Comcast also started rolling out the XB7 gateway in select markets roughly six months ago.  However, I haven't seen any signs of it coming to Canada yet.

Raveneire
I plan to stick around

So it looks like they are offering Ignite Internet with the XB6 standalone from the website, but you must live chat/call in for them to process the order to do the self install or you can order the entire bundle and the website will send the order for processing and they will send the XB6 + Ignite TV box for self install.

Looks like the XB6 is available for Ignite 75 and above now.

Includes:

• Ignite WiFi Gateway modem rental
  • Ignite WiFi Hub app and website for easy controls and alerts6
  • 24/7 support
  • 5 email accounts

*Pricing:

Service$74.99/mo
Modem rental$10/mo
Monthly total$84.99/mo

Plus applicable taxes

One-time fees:

Installation:$49.99
 or no charge self-installation
 Plus applicable taxes

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/easy-installation-guide-ignite-stb

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/internet

https://www.rogers.com/web/consumer/ignite-bundles/tv-internet

Webster01
I plan to stick around

This really makes me chuckle.  When I got Ignite TV last September self install was not an option only the professional installation by one of their highly trained technicians at $150.00 per.  Because so much knowledge was required to do this work.

Let me tell you about my install....I like my guy who usually services my community.  Same guy who installed Rogers for us three years prior.  But as they say I digress..he shows up we chat a bit...he unscrews my old modem and installs the Ignite modem(almost said new modem but then they are not new but used).  Unscrews my old PVR and Digital box hooks up and plugs in my Ignite boxes.  Programs the new(used remotes).  Shows me a couple of things that are different but can't show me anymore as Rogers doesn't service the area where he lives so he hasn't had the opportunity to play with the new service like a lot of his colleagues have.  He says you will just have to play with it.  Then suggests I leave the cabling in place and simply just pull it down into the basement "in case I ever go back to satellite". I took his advise and  we say so long and that's it.

In the interest of full disclosure I did get $50.00 of my install and a $50.00 refund on my old PVR(which is how I know all the Ignite stuff is used ...comming up from Comcast in the US...our old digital stuff gets resold to some area just moving to the digital system. 

So can I get this modem without ignite tv ? Can I swap my coda for it at any Rogers + store ?

@lethalsniper wrote:
So can I get this modem without ignite tv ? Can I swap my coda for it at any Rogers + store ?

I can't answer that.  I also wouldn't rush to switch to the XB6 either unless there's a HUGE compelling technical reason to do so.

If you plan to use the XB6 in gateway mode, one of the advantages that comes with it is the ability to deploy Pods to extend the Wi-Fi coverage in your home and manage that end-to-end with apps on your mobile device.  It also readies you for a transition to Ignite TV and other future connected home offerings.  I think it makes sense to standardize on a single modem/gateway across all platforms going forward.

The Arris and Technicolor gateways look identical on the outside and have almost identical admin UI's but inside, they very different hardware-wise and are based on a completely different software stack.  The Arris and Technicolor XB6's each have their own advantages, disadvantages and quirks.  I don't think that either version is significantly better than the other.

The CODA modem has configuration options (e.g. for alternate DNS providers, support for a Guest Wi-Fi network and explicit configurable support for VPN pass-through) that the XB6 does not have.

If you plan to use the XB6 in bridge mode, keep in mind that it DOES NOT have a true bridge mode; it only bridges the WAN and LAN ports.  The gateway service remains active to support other functions (VoIP for the telephone ports and (I think) some additional support for (future?) home security services) and you cannot completely disable Wi-Fi; several hidden networks continue to remain active.

(As a "bridge mode" user, I would prefer to have the CODA modem over the XB6.  Better yet, I would actually prefer to have a Technicolor TC4400, if Rogers should ever offer it.)

For those of you who have had a bad experience with Intel Puma 6-based modems, you may have emotional reasons for not wanting a Puma 7-based modem; that's understandable but the Puma 7 is not a bad chipset.  There may be reasons for preferring the Arris or the Technicolor XB6, but I wouldn't make that decision purely on the chipset alone.  They both seem to perform equally well.  The Arris has a better telephony implementation.  The Technicolor XB6 may have better Wi-Fi (certification documents show that it was tested at higher power levels on some 5 GHz channels) but I have not noticed a significant difference in real-world testing.  I also don't know whether either version of the XB6 has a superior DOCSIS 3.1 implementation or if either has any advantages over the latest CODA modem.

I'm not bashing the XB6.  I'm just saying that if the CODA modem works for you and you don't need any of the features that only work with the XB6, then I don't think that there is any reason to replace your current modem with the XB6.

Hello @lethalsniper,

This is a great question and I'd like to clarify for you. 😊

If you are presently on a legacy internet option, you do need to migrate over to our new Ignite platform in order to swap out your CODA modem for the new XB6 modem as it is housed on a different platform. You wouldn't be able to simply swap out your CODA for the XB6 at the store.

This doesn't mean that you have to bundle your internet with TV as that is optional. You can still have an 'internet only' service if you'd like. The choice is yours. 🙂

If you are interested in moving over to a new Ignite internet option with the XB6 modem, you may reach out to us using any of the following avenues of support:

By Phone: 1-888-764-3771

Live Chat Online: (click the link below and select 'Ignite TV Inquiries')

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/support/contactus#

Message us on Twitter @RogersHelps or send a message on Facebook.com/Rogers

24/7

Send us a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please CLICK HERE.

Cheers!

RogersLaura

I tried to get this new modem but I need to wait 60 days .. ? Just to clarify I DONT need to get the ignite tv/ phone with this modem correct?

@lethalsniper wrote:
I tried to get this new modem but I need to wait 60 days .. ?

What modem do you you currently have?  Is there any particular reason why you are trying to get the XB6?  If you only have Rogers Internet, I would strongly recommend sticking with the Hitron CODA.

lethalsniper
I'm an enthusiast
Coda .. why because I hear it’s better and it’s not a puma .. and supposedly it’s better

@lethalsniper I've said this to you before, but I'll say it again, I believe that you have cable issues in your apartment building and I suspect that no amount of changing modems will help.  Until the building owner decides to spend the money to rewire the building, or Bell shows up with fibre optic cabling, I suspect you're stuck with poor internet performance.  Its possible that the introduction of DOCSIS 3.1 upstream will help as it will be using the lower frequency spectrum below 200 Mhz.  3.1 upstream should make a considerable improvement in upstream latency.  I don't know if all of the Rogers 3.1 capable modems (CODA-4582 + XB6) will make that jump simultaneously when the engineers decide that everything is in place to enable 3.1 upstream at the CMTS.  Maybe @RogersIan can shed some light a possible date when we'll finally see 3.1 upstream.  I wouldn't bet the house on seeing any potential enable date.  

Also take into consideration the problems that have been seen on the network since January which include slow data rates, latency and packet loss.  There seems to be no end in sight for these problems. 

@lethalsniper wrote:
Coda .. why because I hear it’s better and it’s not a puma .. and supposedly it’s better

If you are getting it purely for the Broadcom BCM3390 chipset, you'll be in for a HUGE disappointment.  If you are a gamer and are currently experiencing problems with excessive latency, latency spikes/jitter or packet loss, the XB6 will not fix any of these issues.

Remember that the XB6 was designed by Comcast to be the hub for their Connected Home offerings.  If you just need a good, simple cable modem, the Hitron CODA is, in my opinion, the better choice.

If you are using your own modem, the XB6 kinda has a bridge mode that you can enable but be forewarned you cannot disable all gateway functionality and reduce the CGM4140 down to the equivalent of a Technicolor TC4400.  If you plan to use the XB6 in gateway mode, you will likely find that it has a bunch of missing and broken features by comparison.

One positive thing that I can say about the XB6 is that the connection status page does include codeword error counters in addition to the usual power level and SNR values.

@Datalink from what I was told they have split our node in our area and have replaced cables underground and Also I think in basement of building.. so still don’t get why the poor internet so I guessing it’s the modem that’s why I’m thinking of switching

rafaeel
I plan to stick around

I have been having Wifi Issues and technical support informed me you are eligible for an upgrade from White Hitron CODA to XB6. However, we don't have one in stock but we have put a note on your account to swap it at the Rogers store. 

I called two Rogers store in my area and they said we only have CODA. XB6 is not available at the store. Can someone advise what to do?

Hey @rafaeel!

Given that you're having WiFi related concerns with the CODA modem, a change to the XB6 isn't likely to "resolve" any concerns you may be having so I wouldn't recommend the change at this time. That said though identifying what is causing your WiFi concerns would be a priority so a more optimal solution can be provided. Can you tell us a bit more about what you're experiencing?

@RogersAndy

rafaeel
I plan to stick around

Thanks Andy. The tech support mentioned the dual bands are interchanging as my office is on the second floor and router is on the main floor. Their recommendation was that XB6 will have a bit better range and as I am eligible for an upgrade, I should give it a try. 

It’s out of stock I’m also waiting for one

I have the Hitron CODA modem with Rogers Ignite Gigabit internet. When I spoke to the representative today, she told me I would need to upgrade to the XB6 modem which would allow me to improve my Wifi. Are you saying this was incorrect? She also made me renew my Rogers contract to do that and said this plan is pricier. I'm starting to wonder if I was mislead. 

Topic Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 9 in conversation