Sportsnet One not streaming Blue Jays?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Sportsnet One not streaming Blue Jays?

I'm logged on to Rogers Live but streaming quality of Sportsnet One is so choppy I can't even watch with out it stopping every few seconds.  Internet connection is fine.  I can stream HD quality from any other site.

***Edited Labels***

Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Re: Sportsnet One not streaming Blue Jays?

Hello @Undubbed,

Welcome to the Community Forums Smiley Happy 

Sorry to hear about the issue you are having watching Sportsnet One online. Are you using your computer to watch it? Are you hooked up via ethernet or Wifi? We haven't gotten any reports of a known streaming issue on Sportsnet One. 

Is anyone else in the Community able to replicate poor streaming quality on Sportsnet One? 

@Datalink@Gdkitty@ShakTiburon@OLDYELLR?

Thanks,

RogersHassam 

I'm a Senior Advisor

Works okay for me.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Here Awhile

I've been having the same trouble for about 3 weeks, in my case trying to watch Blue Jays games on the "Sportsnet Ontario" link via the Anyplace TV site, using my mac computer. This particular streaming has been inconsistent since Spring 2015 -- sometimes it has worked fine, and other times very choppy, with the playback sometimes freezing up for several minutes, in which case I just turned it off as it was so frustrating. The past couple of weeks have been terrible.

In addition to my problems viewing Jays at this site via the 'Sportsnet Ontario" link, I've also had similar problems watching using the "Blue Jays on Sportsnet" and "Blue Jays Live" links (this one, I think, ties to mlb.com even though the link is on the main image at rogersondemand.ca). 

I checked with my ISP, plus did an online speed check, and it turns out that my speed is fine, as is my modem and router connection.

By the way, I have no problems watching other streaming services  (e.g. Netflix) or watching video on other websites (e.g. Youtube).

To troubleshoot, I tried:

• watching the game on other computers in my home to see the issue is only on my mac

• lowering the Anyplace TV playback resolution (from 1000 to 400kbps)

• watching in different locations within the home

• asking other family members to turn off their streaming while I'm watching the game

• clearing my browser cache

None of the above has fixed the problem. My ISP support rep suggested that the fault has something to do with the website itself (rogersondemand.ca). Any thoughts? Having to miss Jays games on my mac is particularly disconcerting.

Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Hello @jpk77,

Welcome to the Community Forums! 

I read your post regarding poor quality watching the game online. Is this issue only happening on your Mac? Can you try connecting an ethernet cable from your internet modem to your Mac and test watching it with a direct connection? Let us know if you notice any improvements. 

Thanks,

RogersHassam 

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

Hey @jpk77 - Little confused in the troubleshooting steps you did. I just want to understand it better, as the wording threw me off.

• watching the game on other computers in my home to see the issue is only on my mac <-- Is that a statment? as in MAC is confirmed only one with the issue?

• lowering the Anyplace TV playback resolution (from 1000 to 400kbps) <-- did it provide any 'better' response? or stayed the same?

• watching in different locations within the home <--- what was the result?

• asking other family members to turn off their streaming while I'm watching the game <--- unless you had 3+ people I wouldn't see this make a different, but... just to be fair and ask... did it make a difference?

• clearing my browser cache < Great was there any difference? less lag?

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you. See below for answers to your questions:

Hey @jpk77 - Little confused in the troubleshooting steps you did. I just want to understand it better, as the wording threw me off.

• watching the game on other computers in my home to see the issue is only on my mac <-- Is that a statment? as in MAC is confirmed only one with the issue? A: I tried to watch the game using rogers anyplace TV on the two other Mac laptops (same model as my own) we have in our home. The Jays game was just as choppy with long buffering and freezing as it was on my own mac. 

• lowering the Anyplace TV playback resolution (from 1000 to 400kbps) <-- did it provide any 'better' response? or stayed the same? A: The choppiness/laboured buffering was the same despite lowering the resolution.

• watching in different locations within the home <--- what was the result? A: Same problem -- froze up when I was just a few feet from the modem/router (no obstruction between my mac and the router) but also froze up when I was one floor up and 2 floors up from router.

• asking other family members to turn off their streaming while I'm watching the game <--- unless you had 3+ people I wouldn't see this make a different, but... just to be fair and ask... did it make a difference? Not really. I even turned off the Wii console power (our Netflix device) and that didn't help much.

• clearing my browser cache < Great was there any difference? less lag? A: Nope. Still freezes up.

A bit of news for you, though: I watched Sportsnet Ontario using Anyplace TV on my Mac this morning (10 am) and there was no lag/freeze up at all. I turned on Netflix on another of our home computers just to see if that would affect things, but Sportnet Ontario played just fine. This is in contrast to yesterday evening, when I tried to watch the game on anyplace TV around 8 pm and it froze up. 

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

Hey @jpk77

R = Response.

• watching the game on other computers in my home to see the issue is only on my mac

Q: Is that a statment? as in MAC is confirmed only one with the issue?

A: I tried to watch the game using rogers anyplace TV on the two other Mac laptops (same model as my own) we have in our home. The Jays game was just as choppy with long buffering and freezing as it was on my own mac. 

Response: So this is not a single device issue. I see. Because this is a Mac. I actually have a question; have you checked for known viruses?
I know -HaHa- but I am not joking, MAC have some targetted viruses one that I think might be culprit that bogs down network, after reset it goes away and then comes back on its own. I have been trying to find the name for it.. but can't remember it. (sorry)

• lowering the Anyplace TV playback resolution (from 1000 to 400kbps)

Q: <-- did it provide any 'better' response? or stayed the same?

A: The choppiness/laboured buffering was the same despite lowering the resolution.

R: I am starting to suspect the network itself, rather than the MAC or the service. Have you done a full reset of the modem itself? (Like to default, not power cycle). Do you use your own router / have Rogers Modem in Bridge mode? Time Capsule? AirPort? AppleTV? any of these part of your network?

• watching in different locations within the home

Q: <--- what was the result?

A: Same problem -- froze up when I was just a few feet from the modem/router (no obstruction between my mac and the router) but also froze up when I was one floor up and 2 floors up from router.

R: I don't think it would have made a difference. The distance would only drop the bars by 1 or 2, and the lag or delay would be so minuscule it wouldn't be much noticiable for streaming. (unless we are talking about not in line of sight) - then you dearly need an extender. (I prefer Wireline)

• asking other family members to turn off their streaming while I'm watching the game

Q: <--- unless you had 3+ people I wouldn't see this make a different, but... just to be fair and ask... did it make a difference?

A: Not really. I even turned off the Wii console power (our Netflix device) and that didn't help much.

R: I am more shocked to hear someone use Wii for netflix than anything. (Ok I'll stop joking around). I didn't think it would make a difference regardless. But thank you for answering.

• clearing my browser cache

Q: < Great was there any difference? less lag?

A: Nope. Still freezes up.

R: WHAT IS THIS MADNESS?

A bit of news for you, though: I watched Sportsnet Ontario using Anyplace TV on my Mac this morning (10 am) and there was no lag/freeze up at all. I turned on Netflix on another of our home computers just to see if that would affect things, but Sportnet Ontario played just fine. This is in contrast to yesterday evening, when I tried to watch the game on anyplace TV around 8 pm and it froze up. 

Here is what I am thinking. You either have Network Lag (I seriously wish I could remember that Network Virus name for MACs), or it might not be you at all. It could be SportsNet Server being rammed with multiple users and you got the short end of the stick (Netflix use to have this when they first launched).

How is it now a days?

-- and Sorry I was away for few days.

I've Been Around

Re: Sportsnet Ontario Choppy and freezing feed.

Tried to watch the Jays game today (May 28 16) and the feed was so choppy that I couldn't even watch it without it freezing or cutting out every 2 seconds. Why is this happening? Tried restarting browser/computer etc. internet is working fine too.

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Sportsnet Ontario Choppy and freezing feed.

Yes I've been havng the same problem this week. Terrible freezing and pixelating. I was the one who started this thread months ago, and since then, the problems cleared up. That is, until the past week; during the last few days Rogers' Anyplace TV's Sportsnet Ontario & Sportsnet 1 streaming feeds freeze up after less than a minute of viewing -- even at 6 a.m. so I can't imagine there's a logjam. No problems with any other streaming services -- and, just like ALL my previous posts, I have tried 'everything' to alleviate the situation. Right back where I started, it seems.