Somewhat odd issue with internet on my desktop.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Regular

Somewhat odd issue with internet on my desktop.

Hi guys... This isn't specifically a Rogers issue (since it doesn't affect all of my PCs, just one) but it does have to do with Internet. So I hope its okay to ask here 🙂 I've tried other places and no luck yet so thought i'd try here. Anyways, I have 2 PCs, a desktop and a laptop... Ever since I got the desktop in Feb 2015, i've been noticing internet speed issues, but always too lazy to deal with it. Finally i'm tired of it now lol. So the actual physical internet connection isn't the issue, I get anywhere between 50-200Mbps over wifi on both, and the key thing is once I am connected to a website things work fine, and things like downloads work fine once i connect to the download server. but on the desktop it just takes very very long to open up a webpage. I've noticed this across multiple OSes, from Win7 to 8.1 and 10, and i've noticed it while connected via ethernet to a wireless bridge, and while using a usb wifi adaptor. And to keep my sanity I connected the laptop to the ethernet-wifi bridge (using a usb3 to GigE adaptor, lol) and it still opened lightning quick compared to the desktop, so the dlink wifi-ethernet bridge isn't the problem. I put a video of the desktop and laptop side by side opening the same webpages to show the issue: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D843DCF65E2E750F!97633&authkey=!AJtB-BAGo9Hf92s&ithint=video%2...
The desktop has the following specs:
Intel i5-4690K
24GB RAM
120GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
1TB WD Blue HDD
500GB WD Black HDD
Gigabit Ethernet connected to DLINK DAP-1650 Wireless ethernet bridge which runs over WiFi AC 867Mbps to my main router.
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
Gigabyte Z97-DS3H mobo
750W CORSAIR psu.
Windows 8.1 Pro (but have noticed the issue on Win7 ultimate and Win10 Pro)
The laptop is an Early 2015 Dell Inspiron 7548 series with
i7-5500U
16GB RAM
250GB 850 Evo SSD
Intel 7265 AC wifi
Windows 10 Pro
Both computers are running the latest Chrome x64 edition. Oh, and the problem occurs with Firefox too. I tried switching to it for a few weeks to see if it would make a difference but it did not. And as for the rogers-specific details, i'm on Ignite 250u Unlimited with a CGN3ACSMR in bridge mode bridged to an ASUS RT-AC87U router. I'm convinced it may be a PC hardware issue as i've noticed it across multiple browsers and OSes but the issue is isolated to the one PC.

Any help would be appreciated

***Edited Labels***

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

Re: Somewhat odd issue with internet on my desktop.

Right of the bat.
@Gdkitty & @Datalink are being tagged. o__o

Hi Jack,
I'll throw my question your way; Could it be specifically the network card that's causing the lag?
Have you tried a dedicated network card? (They are dirt cheap too).
Though Wifi adaptor is seperate no? hmm.
Riddle of the week. >__<

But I am truly gonna have our Resident Experts interrogate you on this one instead. 🙂
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just to clear up...

This happens on the one PC using BOTH the wireless connection, and wired?

Trying to rule out any say specific card issues... if its effecting BOTH, a lot less likely.

Both cards are set up DHCP?
Or via reservasion or manual addressing?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Your motherboard has a Realtek® GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit) onboard.  We've seen issues with Realtek ethernet adapters before.  

Edit:  Just for curiosity's sake I would connect an ethernet cable directly to your main router to determine what the Realtek adapter will do and bypass any wifi issues.  If you have to buy a 50 foot Cat 5e cable to do it, it won't be a waste.  Its always an idea to have a long cable around for test purposes and just in case you ever need it for real.  A direct connection will clear the air as to whether this really is a pc issue regardless of the connection, or if the issue is the wifi path. 

Edit #2

You could go directly to a non-Realtek ethernet adapter, or test the onboard Realtek adapter with a long cable and determine if the Realtek is the issue.  If so, buy a non-Realtek ethernet gigabit ethernet adapter and disable the onboard adapter.  When you're running the desktop,, right click on the internet symbol on the lower right hand side of your monitor and select Network and Sharing Center.  Select the right hand link beside the "Connections:".  In the case of an ethernet connection it will say Ethernet.  For a wifi connection it will say Wifi.  Select that link to bring up the Ethernet or Wifi status.  The speed that is shown is the connection rate with whatever the pc is connected to.  So, thats not the data rate that you might see on a speed test, but simply the port to port connection rate.  The question is, whether you are connected to ethernet, or wifi, are you getting the connection rate that you are expecting.  You would have to know the connection rate of the extender, and the max connection rate of the USB adapter.  The problem with USB adapters is that, there are adapters, and then, there are (better) adapters.  Some are single antenna, single data stream adapters and some are dual antenna, dual data stream adapters.  You would have to do some research to determine the max connection rate.  The laptop could be using a dual antenna, dual data stream wifi card, and if the pc only has a single data stream, then yes, the laptop will have better wifi performance.  If you look at the following 802.11n chart, you can see the difference between the single antenna, single data stream and dual antenna, dual data stream data rates.  If you look at the connection rate that the Wifi Status shows, you might be able to match up exaclty what is indicated on the chart. 

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/829158/image-id/1128i1B0D5B8474F8D75B

Here is one USB adapter that we've recommended before, and haven't seen any complaints about:

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/USBAC56/

If I had a desktop hidden in the back corner of the home I would consider something like this for a wireless adapter:

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/PCEAC68/

That gets the antenna up from behind the desktop and gives you multiple antenna with 802.11ac capability as well.  The result of that is the possibility of 802.11ac beamforming giving you better signal to noise levels and better data rates.  The beamforming applies to both adapters, and multiple antenna will definitely help out.

So, have a look at all of this and let us know what you find.  We can keep digging from there.

I'm a Regular

@Gdkitty

Yes happens both wired and wireless, so shouldn't be the card itself.

I'm a Regular

Wow, thanks for the detailed response!! Kudos 🙂

Well instead of doing that I just disconnected the modem from downstairs, brought it up (there's a cable outlet in my room) and plugged it directly into the desktop, and the issue still persisted. Also my laptop gets perfect speeds/latency in the same spot on 802.11ac so the wifi path seems like it should be OK.

In terms of a non-Realtek adaptor I have a Kensington USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet lying around so I plugged that in and disabled the onboard card and the same thing happened...

As for the laptop yeah it has a 2x2 chipset, the desktop is connected to the DAP-1650 access point/ethernet bridge which has a consistent 2x2 867Mbps link to the router, and again like I said when the laptop is connected via ethernet to the DAP-1650 it still works well.

Now, the interesting thing is, I reinstalled Windows last night, and as seen with any other time i've reinstalled, the internet is fine now, but within a few days once I've everything set up, it will slow down again... Again thanks for all this!! Cheers... 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As you reinstall applications, run speed tests after the install and reboot is complete.  Use the same server, I would recommend the www.speedtest.net Toronto Telus server.  Take it slow with the reloads and watch the speed test results.  Perhaps there is some  application in particular that is a resource hog, which is causing the internet slow down.  Anything with Windows .Net framework comes to mind, but there might be something else.  It doesn't make sense that on a clean install it works and eventually slows down.   Have you checked out the latest version of Samsung Magician.  If not, that might update the firmware for the 850 Evo, which has a problem with slow downs for older data.  I wouldn't think that it would affect internet performance, but, who know's.  So that might be something to look at if you haven't done so already.  If you run a google search for "samsung 850 evo slow down" you will see numerous links come up.  I'm assuming that the 850 Evo is your main boot drive:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-fix-a-slow-samsung-solid-state-drive/

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

I don't know if Samsung Magician will run on a Chrome pc.  You might have to use a Windows Laptop, connect to the SSD via connector or remove the SSD and place it in a hard drive dock to run any firmware updates.  What about Trim support on Chrome?

I'm an Advisor

@jackthecompguy wrote:

Now, the interesting thing is, I reinstalled Windows last night, and as seen with any other time i've reinstalled, the internet is fine now, but within a few days once I've everything set up, it will slow down again... Again thanks for all this!! Cheers... 

What is 'everything'? Does it include, say, any security software? 

I'm a Regular

Hi

Well, as predicted, i've had windows (7 Ultimate x64) reinstalled for about 2 weeks, and the issue is now back... The list of programs installed is as follows:

Chrome x64

7zip

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC

Office 2016 Professional

Adobe Premiere Elements

Adobe Photoshop Elements

Obviously I have more installed but they are little things like 7zip, OneDrive, Google Drive, AnyDesk etc.

For antivirus I use ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9.0.349.0

The thing is, I have this exact set of programs and the exact setup replicated on 2 other systems and this issue doesn't occur. Only the desktop has this issue and still with multiple network cards, on multiple OSes, and even multiple HDDs!! (The reason I reinstalled was due to a new SSD)

Speedtest to Toronto/Telus server looks normal, 225 down 21 up. Thats normal for me over 802.11ac (which this desktop is connected to via Gigabit ethernet to a wireless ethernet bridge that is a 5Ghz AC)

I dont know where you got that i'm using a Chrome PC, this is a windows box 😉

I did the Samsung firmware update as well as a new BIOS and made sure the latest ethernet drivers were installed from Realtek's site, and that made no difference 😞

I'm a Regular

Yes, ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9.0.349.0... The odd thing is I use this program on my other PC's so i wouldn't think it an issue...