Slow wifi on Hitron CGNM 3552 but normal on the guest wifi (using android phones)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Slow wifi on Hitron CGNM 3552 but normal on the guest wifi (using android phones)

Hello,

First post ever.

I upgraded to the Hitron CGNM3552 6 months and all was  fine but three days aga my wife and I noticed that many apps on our android nexus 4 and nexus 6 phones are slow to load now.

Netflix, Gmail app, Google music, News and Weather app, Destiny app

We got a new router and the same thing happen. A tech came and checked things out and cleaned the lines but the problem persists.

The only time it's fast is when wifi is turned off or when I connect to the the guess wifi. Both 2.4 and 5 ghz are slow but not guest...

Does anyone know how to fix this? Have not had a problem for six months and now it jusy suddenly started.

Thank you

Sernik

*Edited Labels*

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Slow wifi on Hitron CGNM 3552 but normal on the guest wifi (using android phones)

@Sernik, can you log into the modem and check on the firmware version that is currently loaded.  Its displayed on the STATUS page that comes up when you log into the modem, shown under "Software Version".  Have you by any chance requested the updated trial firmware version for your modem.

Your observation of seeing higher data rates on the guest account is actually pretty interesting.  Normally on a guest account on a router, that account doesn't have local access unless specifically allowed.  I'm assuming its the same for the Hitron modems.  I'll forward the link to your post to one of Rogers engineering staff to have a look at.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Slow wifi on Hitron CGNM 3552 but normal on the guest wifi (using android phones)

Hello @Datalink

The firmware is 4.5.8.19

No I didn't think of asking for firmware.  I just asked a few minutes ago but I'm not sure if I will get it.

Thanks for your interest in my problem

Sernik

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Sernik, have a look at message # 471 (top post) on the following page for instructions on requesting the trial version, 4.5.8.22.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/348...

When you are sending the private message as indicated in that post, also log into your modem and copy the HFC MAC address and modem Serial number and paste that into the message. The HFC MAC Address and modem Serial Number can be found on the STATUS page that is displayed when you log into the modem. The Cable Modem MAC Address and S/N can also be found on the back of the modem.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

hello

I already sent it before my previous reply to you  but without the extra info you provided. Should I send another PM to them including:

- HFC MAC Address

- modem Serial Number

- Cable Modem MAC Address and S/N

All I provided was the version of the modem, my firmaware number and the subject line they asked for: Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Thanks again

Sernik

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi @Sernik, no problem.  One of the moderators will send a reply, probably asking for at least the MAC address.  You can respond to that request when it arrives.  

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I got the firmware. No improvement. It's been actually worse the last few days. It was worse before I got the new firmware so I cant blame it on that. Now most sites are horrible. Not just apps. The only thing that is fast is guest wifi. I am close to throw in the towel and go elsewhere with my business.