Slow upload speed at night.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Slow upload speed at night.

I recently noticed i'm getting very slow upload speed at night. During the day I never get below 8mps and mostly run at over 9mps but after 7pm it drops consistently and when it is around 9 to 10 pm I only get 1.5 to 3 mps. I called Rogers technical service and they don't know what is going on and they say tehy have open a ticket for this and that they will check into that but I wanted to know what was your thought about it. The download speed is fine.

I have 3 PC's in the house and they all show the same result. 

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Slow upload speed at night.

obvious question.. nothing else is running? 🙂
Make sure to do the test, when only ONE thing is connected, just to make sure (one isnt stuck doing a icloud, skydrive, etc sync)

Otherwise, i would likely say, its congestion 😞  (too many people going through the one node)

I'm a Senior Contributor

@wowsers53 wrote:

I recently noticed I'm getting very slow upload speed at night...... The download speed is fine.

I have 3 PC's in the house and they all show the same result. 

Well, it's definitely NOT congestion. Unless the issue is related to Rogers ongoing upstream channel network maintenance then YOU should look at signal issues within your home network. Do a complete analysis of your cables,splitters and associated gear. As a last resort have Rogers do a signal strength test where the line enters your residence.

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
I'm an Advisor

I agree it's probably not congestion. I've noticed for the last few days that I'm getting upload speeds of about 2mbps, regardless of time of day, when I'm supposed to get 4mbps on Extreme Plus. Download speeds and ping are fine. I'm using speedtest.net with 2 different servers, plus the Rogers cable one, and they all give exactly the same results.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sorry, you guys are likely right..
(posted that reply just after i got up.. with only 3 hours sleep last night... my son is sick).

Congestion likely usually is only seen effecting download speeds...

The upstream changes may be more likely..  i did notice some wierd upstream issues in the last two days.

While i was getting my full 2 on express, i was running some torrents.. at maybe only 300k up which shouldnt choke and hasnt in the past... and noticed it was choking the whole connection.. stopped the torrent, and the internet resumed just fine.

I noticed when i was checking/reseting the gateway, that i currently only  have 1 upstream channel bonded at the moment.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks all for replying. Yeah, only one PC is running during the testing and like GD said I too experience the poor speed when d/l torrents. Never did that occured before. I always get steady d/l and upload speed and never get below 8mps. The tech guy told me it almost seems like something is haunted inside my house lol. I am on Lan and not wireless on this PC and this is a brand new one with very high specs. The first thing the tech asked me was if I was on wifi. It almost seemed like he was wanting me to say yes so he could blame this on the wifi. When I told him I was connected directly he paused for a moment and seemed confused. I am sure this is something going on with Rogers in my neighborhood but another person here also said they noticed the same thing as me. I'm in Northern N.B. by the way. Why is the speed flawless during the day and things start to go bad around 7pm is weird. We can blame traffic but last week (and never before) was I experiencing this. It only began last weekend so something is definately not right on Rogers part. Just hope Rogers comes up with a valid answer in the next few days or better yet, that this problem get fixed asap.

I Plan to Stick Around

Im getting slow donwloads and uploads.

Between the hours of  9-1 (Usually) I get ~1Mbps Down and Up. This is very very frusturating because i can barley even load a youtube video. Its just recently (this week) That this has started happening..

I Plan to Stick Around

Where do you live Jodi? My d/l speed is always great it's just the upload after 7pm. Sure enough, last night it happened again. Here in N.B. we have different packages. I'm on Extreme and have 10mps uploads where in Ontario to get that you need to have the most expensive package (Ultimate if i'm right) I just checked about a minute ago as it it now 6am here and my upload speed is at 8.5mps. When I went to bed at 11pm last night it was at 1.5 to 2mps.

I Plan to Stick Around

Im in Toronto. Ontario

Yes, my usual package is 35 Down and 4 Up i believe

But usually after 9 i just get ~1 mbps down and up. Very very frusturating

I'm an Advisor

Just checked my upload speed again today on the Extreme Plus service and still getting slightly over 2mbps, which is half of what it's supposed to be. Also tried my iPhone and it's also doing just over 2mbps. Downloads are still excellent, though. I'm also in Toronto (East York). My home computer has a wired Ethernet connection, not wireless.