Slow Speeds With Ignite100

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Slow Speeds With Ignite100

Scratching my head on this one... need some help.

The only device in my home that hits the promised 100mpbs download speed is my desktop in the basement (wifi)

I have even hard wired my AppleTV directly into the modem and barely hit 40... do I need to change something possibly in the modem settings.

iPad and 2nd Apple TV is only getting 40 as well...
Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Slow Speeds With Ignite100

MIGHT have some ideas, but we'll have to look at a few things.

Firstly... which modem do you  have?

The Advanced modem? (CGN3) or the newer ROCKET one?
Either way, are you able to log into the modem, and check with firmware version you are on?

If for whatever reason it hasnt quite updated to the latest firmware (can take a few days) there was a bug on the older firmware, where 10/100 linked devices (not sure which apple tv you have), would only get about 35ish speeds.

The wifi, on these units is not GREAT.. especially over distances, etc.  Even when closer to the modem, the ipad is only getting 40ish speeds?

Are you able to post what your wireless settings are.. might be able to make 1-2 tweeks which may help a LITTLE.

Beyond that.. its just generally a failing on that the WIRELESS part in the gateways, is really only on par with your lower end cheap wireless routers.  To really get better performance you need to use some more heavy duty (and unfortunately not cheap) hardware.

I've Been Here Awhile

4.2.4.5 is the software. Cgn3 modem.
Hardware version 1a
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you list the devices that are connected via wired connection and how they are connected, ie, house ethernet, short Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable.  Where is the modem located and where are the hard wired devices located? And can you also list the wireless devices and whether they are running on a 2.4 or 5 Ghz network. 

I've Been Here Awhile

Hardwired device is located next about 3 feet away from the modem on a yellow ethernet cable that came with the device.

I've moved all other devices to the 2.4g and my Desktop which breaks 100 is on the 5g, however when I use 5G for the ipad or 2.4 it makes no difference in speed... which doesn't particularly matter. 

I would like to have ideally 75 or more on the ethernet connected device, as I use it for netflix and nhl gamecenter. Don't really want my hockey pausing up during playback...

I can live with 40 on an ipad or phone....

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you have a look at the back of the CGN3 and see if the connected port LED is amber or green?  Amber denotes a 1 Gb/s connection with the connected device.  Green denotes a 10/100 Mb/s connection.

Edit:  Can you also try the following experiment if you have a laptop with an ethernet port.  Disconnect the ethernet cable from the back of the Apple TV and plug the cable into the laptop.  Run a speedtest with either the Rogers speedtest, or the speedtest.net Toronto Telus server.  I'll be interested in what you see on a laptop versus what the tv has shown (40 Mb/s).

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

And while you are at it, can you list what the network card is?

You should be able to find it in Device Manager.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here is something else that I hadn't thought about earlier.  It might be an issue here if you are running a mixture of single antenna (single data stream), dual antenna (dual data stream) devices which also have single channel or dual channel capabilities on the 2.4 Ghz band. 

The CGN3 is known to have problems with mixed device capabilities and it will restrict both, the number of data streams in use and the co-channel bonding required for 40 Mhz wide channel operation.  That restriction limits all device data rates to the rate of the slowest device on the network.  That can be easily seen if you use a USB Wifi dongle in a mixed network.  Low cost dongles can or will be single antenna (single data stream) single channel only with limited data rates, as opposed to dual antenna (dual data stream) dual channel laptops, capable of running at much higher data rates. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Ignite 100 WIFI download speed issue

I'm having a WIFI downloading issue with my Ignite 100 plan. It's a CGN3 modem and the problem occurrs both in bridge and gateway modes and at 2.4 and 5ghz. (I'm using a Asus RT-N66U router). The fastest I can download with WIFI is 40/11 (upload speed is not a problem). With a hard wired desktop I get a very good 135/11.

I've adjusted my Asus modem to different frequencies with the help of inSSIDer as well as fine tuning other settings. Makes no difference.

According to Rogers tech support this is all perfectly normal. Changing to the Rocket modem  (AC model) won't make any difference. Advertised speeds are for hard wire only.  If that's the case I might as well stick with the Ignite 30 plan since most of my useage is wireless.

Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?

-clammydog
I'm NOT a Rogers employee, my comments are my own.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Could you post a screen shot from inSSIDer, with your MAC addresses removed.  Are you using the 2.4 or 5 Ghz networks mainly, or using both.  

For the purpose of monitoring the 5 Ghz band, are you using the freebie version of inSSIDer, or the licenced version 4 which displays the 802.11ac networks that are in use.  The freebie version doesn't display those networks so it doesn't present the whole 5 Ghz picture.

I use an RT-AC68U so the interface should be the same I believe.  Log into the router and navigate to LAN ... Switch Control and ensure that the NAT acceleration is Enabled.  If you use QOS, traffic monitoring and a few other functions, that will typically kick off the NAT Acceleration, dropping the throughput rate.  When you step up to 100 Mb/s and beyond, functions that you typically used in the past can now cause a reduced throughput as the CPU has to process the data according to the functions that are running.  You should take a tour through all of the functions of the router and disable any functions that you are not using.  Of course you would want to leave the firewall up and running as well as the Trend Micro protection if that is included in the 66U firmware.

Is the CGN3 running in Bridge mode with the router in full router mode, or are you running the CGN3 in Gateway mode, using the router in Access Point mode?

And... what are you downloading to, as that can make a huge difference in the data rates?