Slow Internet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Slow Internet

Thanks Gdkitty! you are right our citrix is located in the US and comes back to Toronto before it comes back to me. I am aware of this however what is bothering me is that I never had this slowness issue while we were in durham even if it has to travel before reaching me. I am switching around to the other outlet and looks like it is working well again. I'll try working at home again Monday and see if this moving around will make a difference. Rogers called asking about how the move to the new place went and the installation, etc and the suggestion is change the modem and start from there. I'll do this as well and will see from there. Thanks again for everyone on this forum. You guys are awesome!!!!

I Plan to Stick Around

Why is Rogers slower these days?

I did the speed check here: http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html

I only get 0.92 Mbps download and 2.15 Mbps upload while I pay for the Express.

Is that a tactic to get me to change to their more expensive newer plans?

Any better company downtown Toronto?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you provide more details on your modem and network, and, are you speed tests done via wired or wireless connections?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you are only getting those speeds, then there may be definitely something up, either internal or external.

But as datalink said would need more info on what you have.

And comparatively to the prev line of plans, they all INCLUDE the modem rental in them, the express tier is the same price, and all the other tiers actually went DOWN in price.

I Plan to Stick Around

ok I did the test again wired and got 28.9/ 2.2

I have Rogers enhanced moded for over a year maybe 2.

Cisco DPC3825

I found a thread with slow wireless problem with these modems but I can't walk around with the laptop wired

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The wired on the units.. are not GREAT.. mostly range though.. Speed not a much of an issue normally.

Are you in an apartment or anything?
Just curious, if too much interfearance might be an issue.

Beyond that.. usualy what MOST do is then get a 3rd party router to serve the wireless.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hey guys,

I recently upgraded to the new hybird fibre 60 plan from rogers but i found that the new modem router only gives me 55mbps max on my phone (right beside my router), and when i step like 30-40 feet away i only get 17-21mbps, i never had this problem with my old smc........... why is this one giving the problem?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, a few things.

Are you able to log into the router, and let us know what version of the firmware its on? Its on the first page that comes up.
Some issues stemmed off the older firmware, mostly fixed in the newer.  Usually takes up to 5 days from install to get it to be pushed out automatically.

The rest of it.. comes down to a few things.

Are you able to post, other than your wireless password obviously.. what all your wireless settings are?
The MODE that its set to.
(b/g/n, or just n, etc).. the security settings, etc. 

Some of these settings, while they can give you more older device support, can limit the speed.

Wireless channel.. could come into effect.  the old one may have been on a better channel..  and this one defaulty not, which might be getting interfearance.

Are you on the 2.4 or the 5ghz band?

I Plan to Stick Around

here it is...

Firmware version:

SW Version

Wireless Status

This menu displays the current wireless status.

2.4 GHz Wireless Status Wireless Status (2.4 GHz) ON Wireless Mode (2.4 GHz) 802.11 b/g/n Mixed Wireless Channel (2.4 GHz) Auto(1) 5 GHz Wireless Status Wireless Status (5 GHz) ON Wireless Mode (5 GHz) 802.11a/n mixed Wireless Channel (5 GHz) Auto(36) SSID Overview (2.4 GHz) Guyanese4life   in service

Broadcast SSID Enabled WMM Enabled Security Mode WPA/WPA2-AES Security Key ********** SSID Overview (5 GHz) Rogers24742-5G   in service

Broadcast SSID Enabled WMM Enabled Security Mode WPA/WPA2-AES Security Key FAD9DRogers

ik for sure channel 1 is the best for my area, because most of the others are on 6 and 11, and odd channels aswell.

i am running on 2.4 ghz, and yes ik there's a phone 10 feet away but i can really do much about that, one of my devices cant use 5ghz thats why i dont use it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It looks like your 5 Gghz wifi is running with Rogers default settings.  Before you do anything, the first thing you need to do is navigate to the 5 Ghz wifi control tab which is under Wireless....Basic Settings......5G to change the SSID and disable the WPS function.  If you never intend to use the 5 Ghz wifi capability, what you should do is fill the SSID with random letters, capital and non-capital, random characters and symbols.  The SSID max length is 32 characters.  Go crazy on the keyboard and fill it.  Disable the WPS and save the setting.  Then, navigate next door to the WPS & Security tab and select the link to the 5Ghz network on the lower right hand side of the page in order to the do the same for the passphrase.  The max length is 63 random printable ASCII characters, or 64 random hexadecimal characters (0-9 and A-F).  Once again, go crazy.  When that is done, change the encryption to AES.  Save the settings.  Once saved, go back to Basic Settings......5G and turn the 5 Ghz wireless off.  Save the setting.  Then, go to the 2.4 Ghz tab and disable the WPS function.  Save the setting.

Right now, with the 5 Ghz wireless running with Rogers defaults, anyone who knows those default settings can use your 5 Ghz wireless.  They would have to be fairly close, but if you are in an apartment or condo downtown somewhere, you are at risk of having someone run up your internet bill.  Filling the SSID and passphrase fields with random characters will ensure that if your 5 Ghz network ever goes live for any reason without your knowledge, it will be very very difficult to crack. 

Now, moving on to figuring out what to do.....

What's New
UFC 231: Holloway vs. Ortega Live
LIVE: Saturday December 8, 2018 10PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of Dec 6 at 4pm ET.
UFC 231: Countdown Promo

UFC returns to Toronto on December 8th with a championship double-header as undisputed featherweight champion Max Holloway defends his title against unbeaten Brian Ortega. Also, a new UFC women's flyweight champion will be crowned when Valentina Shevchenko takes on former strawweight queen Joanna Jedrzejczyk for the vacant title. Saturday, December 8, live on Sportsnet Pay-Per-View from Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, Canada.