Slow Internet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Slow Internet

Absolutely.  In fact, if you ever do find it, throw it out.  I crashed a CGN3 experimenting with it, and ended up replacing the CGN3.

Once you have completed the reboot, the first thing you should do is reset the CGN3 password and turn off both wifi networks until you are ready to reset the SSIDs, encryption settings and Passphrase for the networks.

The first page that you see when you log in will be the status page which will show the firmware version.   Can you confirm that you have 4.2.4.3 ?

I Plan to Stick Around

yes, that is the SW version I have.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, that is the latest version out.  When the CGN3 password is changed and wireless turned off, we'll have  a look at your power levels and signal to noise ratios.  These are found on the DOCSIS WAN page.  Here's an example from my CGN3:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/176...

I'd like you to copy the same DOCSIS WAN tables and paste them into this thread.  Don't copy the IP address and other data above the Downstream table, just the tables themselves.  With that we can have a look at the signal power and signal to noise ratios.  These are the cable signal level data, which can tell us how good or bad the incoming data might be.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, your power levels and signal to noise ratios look fine, both inbound and outbound.  Can you have a look at the back of the CGN3 and tell me what colour the port LED is, for the pc connected to the CGN3.  Yellow / orange indicates a 1 Gb/s interconnect, Green indicates 10/100 Mb/s.  If its yellow/orange, you will see the full data rate thru that port.  If its Green, you will run into a firmware bug which throttles down the download rate.  Do you happen to have more that one device plugged in, and if so are they all gigabit or 10/100 Mb/s interconnections ?

I Plan to Stick Around

color is yellow and it is blinking. the other device plugged in is a Linksys phone adapter. also have a yellow blinking light
I Plan to Stick Around

I am not sure of what interconnections it is
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, looks like two working gigabit/s interconnects.  The interconnects are the device to device connection between the CGN3 modem and your connected pc or laptop.  That yellow / orange LED indicates that the connection between the two is running at 1 Gigabit / second, and that the cable between the two devices also supports that rate, ie, its not damaged to the point of causing any problems.

Can you do a speed test with the rogers site, just to see what you get?

http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html

What do you normally connect with, pc or laptop, and how much memory is on that pc or laptop?

I Plan to Stick Around

right now the speed test results looks good at 64.84 download and 11.14 upload speed. last night I got a 34 download and the upload timed out. I usually use 2 laptops, 1 is 679 GB with 313 GB free and another with 3.25 GB
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What version windows are you running? Windows 7?  Just trying to make sense of the memory numbers. 

But, so far, cable signals look ok, and speed test checks out.  The next thing to do is run a pathping test, which is where we need Gdkitty.  One point to remember is that the internet essentially broke this week, as the number of possible paths grew larger than the memory storage limits of some of the routers used by the big internet interconnect and transmission companies.  So that has been challanging this week, which in part might explain some of the issues that you have been having.  So, let me have a quick look at the pathping test and I'll get back to you.

I Plan to Stick Around

1 laptop is using Windows 7 and the other is XP. both are affected similarly so far. hopefully that reset will make a difference as it has so far. Thank you so much for the help. this is really awesome. I'll wait for that pathping test