Slow Internet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Slow Internet

You keep always beating me to asking all the questions Datalink Smiley Happy

If its especially after the rain, etc, datalink has some great things to check.

(other than that.. if all those are ruled out, the only other thing i can think is some of the intereconnect issues going on right now, with providers across the US, etc)

I Plan to Stick Around

Gdkitty, what are the intereconnect issues going on right now, with providers across the US, etc) that you refer to?

I also have been experiencing general slowness for a few months even though speedtest is OK,  I'm not losing packets and my signal looks fine.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I lost the best link i found for it... but here is one from CBC

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/internet-outages-slowness-spike-expected-with-512k-1.2737819

Pretty much.. some internet nodes, are running into this current roadblock.. there are just TOO many people for the memory and current config.. that its litterally bottlenecking and not being able to do all the routing.

A major one i know that is effected, is Level3, which is a major one in the US, which MANY online games seem to have inbetween them and ISPs.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the info Gdkitty.  Do you think that in general Rogers Internet users are susceptible to these issues in a noticeable way?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Really all depends on WHAT you are doing.

Each time you want to say go to a web page, connect to a game server, whatever... it needs to get from point A to B across the internet.

Depending on where its going.. it might take one of a million different routes, through X many NODES.

Now.. if to get from A to B, that NEEDS to go through one of those nodes, which is effected by this... then YES, it could have an effect on what your doing.

Level3 is one of the nodes i know is having issues.. and ALOT of data goes through that one, for games such as WoW, LoL, etc.. its a major interconnect between the ISP's and where their servers are located.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi, I'm having slow internet as well, in fact while running the speed check from Rogers, the upload check timed out. I tried it a couple of times. I need my internet to be working properly and continuesly because I work from home. I currently moved to an apartment and just wondering if someone could give me points on how and what could be wrong and how to fix or even go around it. I have the hybrid 60 and use the CGN3 router and connect wired when I am working to make sure no wifi issues will be encountered. I am not that techy but I will try anything to make this work. I have to work from home tomorrow and can't afford to be disconnected since we use Citrix for connectivity at work. I never had this issue in durham where I moved from. We do not play online and we only have cable tv from rogers. we use voip phone and during those times that the internet is slow the phone still works well.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That you just moved.. its quite possible that the signal there in the aparment is not quite up too snuff.

We can try and look at a few things to see if things are all up to snuff.

On the first page, let us know what SW version it lists.

on the DOCSIS WAN tab, are you able to give us a cut and paste of all the channel/signal levels from there?

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you Gdkitty for the reply. I tried logging into CGN3 using what was written at the back of my router however it says login failed wrong password. mine shows 192.168.0.1
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You should be using your own password on the router, but if you have perhaps forgotten it, you can always reset the router back to factory defaults by pressing the recessed reset button at the back of the router for 10 seconds and releasing it.  It will reset back to factory defaults and reboot.  Of course the only problem is that if you have wireless SSIDs and Passphrases already set, you will have to reset them after the reboot.

The login after the reset is:  user:   cusadmin

password:  password.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you Datalink. Can I still connect back to the router after the reboot without inserting the initial USB/CD? I don't think I have any of those anymore.
What's New
UFC 231: Holloway vs. Ortega Live
LIVE: Saturday December 8, 2018 10PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of Dec 6 at 4pm ET.
UFC 231: Countdown Promo

UFC returns to Toronto on December 8th with a championship double-header as undisputed featherweight champion Max Holloway defends his title against unbeaten Brian Ortega. Also, a new UFC women's flyweight champion will be crowned when Valentina Shevchenko takes on former strawweight queen Joanna Jedrzejczyk for the vacant title. Saturday, December 8, live on Sportsnet Pay-Per-View from Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, Canada.