Slow Internet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Slow Internet

Ok, you're downstream DOCSIS 3.0 signal levels are all higher than normal, within spec, but they're still high.  The signal to noise ratios are ok.  Those levels are normally around 0 dBmV with a signal to noise ratio in the 36 to 40 dB range. Those levels are also a moot point as the modem is using DOCSIS 3.1 on the downstream side which is a different modulation and encoding scheme allowing higher data rates.  The OFDM channel data as presented in that tab isn't correct, but, tech support has access to the correct data.  

If you have time, call tech support and ask the CSR to run a signal check on the modem.  Also ask if the modems OFDM channel signal level is within spec.  For now thats the most important part in all of this.  

Fwiw, you could ask to join the trial firmware program to see if the latest trial firmware builds will resolve the data rate issue.  There have been changes made to the portion of the firmware that controls the OFDM channel processing, so, perhaps that might make a positive impact.  DOCSIS 3.1 use in North America is relatively new, so, some of the bugs are still being ironed out.  Beyond loading the trial versions, I'll have to ask one of the Rogers engineers for more advice on this.  

If you're interested in joining the trial version program, follow this link @CommunityHelps to navigate to the @CommunityHelps page when you are signed into the forum.  On the right hand side of the page is a link titled "Send this user a private message".  Use that link to navigate to the next message composition page. It will already be addressed.

1. Fill in the title with CODA-4582 Trial Firmware Request.
2. In the text area, include your request, including the modem MAC address and Serial number. The modem MAC address and serial number can be found on the sticker at the back of the modem, or copied from the data located in the Status page of the modem when you are logged into the modem.

Send that info to @CommunityHelps and you should see a reply later today.

When you're logged into the forum, watch for a number overlaying your avatar at the upper right hand corner.  Follow the avatar link down to the message inbox to acknowledge the waiver that is required for the trial firmware.  When that is acknowledged, you should see the firmware loaded later today or tomorrow. When you know that the firmware has been loaded, reboot or restart the modem by pulling the power from the modem, and plugging it back in 10 to 15 seconds later.  Don't run a factory reset as that will return the modem back to the current network wide production firmware, which is what you have currently loaded.

Edit:  Almost forgot, the upstream DOCSIS 3.0 channels are higher than normal for a modem that is running 3.1 on the downstream.  Normally they're around the 30 to 32 dBmV range, so, the fact that they're higher than that indicates that the modem has to transmit at a higher power level for some reason.  That could indicate an issue with the cable system or connectors somewhere along the path to the CMTS, which the modem connects with. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink If anything, will doing a modem swap at the Rogers Store will help if nothing helps as much or keep the current modem after calling?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Naeng stay on your current modem.  I believe at the present time that the only modem that will be issued to customers on unlimited accounts is the CODA-4582, so, there isn't any point at this time to swapping one modem for another one of the same model. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Ahh I see @Datalink, thought it would fix up changed etc with the internal hardware or whatever is affected for my issue. Unless it's just the current firmware that my modem is on for this matter

Though, I'm tending not to go on the trial firmware since I see people giving feedback with the reboot issues.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Naeng what you could do is sign up for the trial firmware to see if it resolve the slow data issue.  At the first sign of any reboot issues you can simply run a factory reset which will result loading the current production firmware, which is what you are running now.  And if that was the case, you could then send a message to @CommunityHelps to remove your modem from the trial modem list. 

It would be interesting to see if the latest trial build resolves cases such as yours, or, if there is other work that is required.  Adding your modem to the list also provides the necessary modem data for @RogersDave to have a look at the CMTS to modem path to determine if there is anything that requires a tech or maintenance crew to sort out. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Hey @Datalink a tech just came in and I've explained almost everything and he just told me it looks fine when he goes on Rogers Speedcheck. (I know I'm getting 600mbps download), but when I showed him live results of downloads via steam, blizzard, ftp, direct download over 2MB/s using FDM etc.. they all show a limit of 200mbps.

He told me there's nothing "he" can do even when I showed him your forum post replies... is there any possible way on fixing this slow data speed... like I'm literally in a bad mood that he only came in for 15-30 minutes doing a comparion speedtest on OOKLA and Rogers and he doens't know what he's doing jesus...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What did the tech get for speeds, if he ran a check with his laptop?

FDM?  Can you clarify that for me? 

I Plan to Stick Around

The tech was getting 600mbp/s via speedcheck.rogers.com and 250mbp/s via speedtest.net (Directly wired with his laptop into my modem)

FDM is Free Download Manager, it's just a application that bursts the download depending on my internet speed (using the highest download speed possible) since Chrome or any other browser will throttle download speeds at 2.00-5.00 MB/s

I've Been Here Awhile

Super laggy ignite 100u

Hello all,

I've been lagging with 50 ping (not server side's issue) since I moved to this location in Kitchener near Victoria and Westmount, when others in this city should have ~25 ping. This had recently gone up to constantly 60-120 ping even though there are only 2 people (most of the time just me) in our house with the 100 down 15 up service. My ping only goes to normal ~25 at 3am in the morning -- I guess when everyone in the neighborhood is essentially sleeping. I've previously tried the Rogers Hi-speed internet forum, tried calling, tried getting the modem updated to the white CODA one, but none seemed to be of any help resolving this problem. Is it time to upgrade the cable line in the area since it's likely unable to support this area with stable internet connection. Thanks

Retired Moderator RogersCilio
Retired Moderator

Hey @Paulander_Drive,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums Robot Happy!

I can definitely understand how annoying it must be to deal with intermittent internet and laggy internet, especially while gaming or streaming!

By the sound of it, it could be a noise issue, but if you can kindly log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS>DOCSIS WAN tab, copy the downstream/upstream tables and paste them into a post, so we can review your specs.

I'll also tag in a couple of our Resident Experts to assist you further. @Datalink @gp-se

Cheers,

RogersCilio