Slow Internet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Slow Internet

I just recently in the past two weeks upgraded to the Enhanced Wi-Fi modem and I am having to reboot the modem every day lately sometimes twice in a row to resolve my issue.

The issue randomly during no specific time of day is that every website I try the pages are taking forever to load. I did a speed test and the download speed reaches a max then drops to 3mbps  and takes forever to complete and I’m on the  Hi-Speed Express package.

Is this a common issue with the modem or is the one I have faulty and needs to be returned?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, no and maybe all at the same time Smiley Sad

Some people, have had that issue.. and exchanged it, and its fine.

Are you using the built in wifi on it?  Many have found by switching it to bridged mode, and using your own 3rd party router, fixes it.

The last part.. seems to be localized, to specific areas.   While there are many that can use the gateway just fine.. there are some places, where people get almost hourly disconects on these devices.

I Plan to Stick Around

Ever since I switched to Cisco 3825 (from old motrola surfboard), my internet is very slow at night time. Can't even load a a webpage properly.  

Is rogers messing with me?

I'm a Senior Advisor

They messed with you by providing you with a D3 gateway modem. Do a search, both on here and across the Internet. There are complaints galore. I keep hanging on to my old Motorola Surfboard  - precisely because I have no complaints at all with the performance. Of course, I am getting ripped off because Rogers absolutely refuses to upgrade my speed or my usage allowance because I will not upgrade to one of their cr*ap D3 modems.

I Plan to Stick Around

I knew it, it's sum conspiracy within Rogers. I even tried 2 other Cisco modems and same results. The only reason why I changed the Cisco cuz they said it's gonna be faster and/or higher bandwidth.  

Idk if this it true but I think it's slow cuz everybody around my neighborhood is using the same modem? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Other than the d3 wireless being crap, and a few issues with discoonect in SELECT areas, it's not a conspiracy.
I do have a d3 modem, and my area I do receive full speeds every night. I do get faster speeds than on my old modem.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Gdkitty wrote:
 I do get faster speeds than on my old modem.

One of the reasons you get the faster speeds is because Rogers is providing a higher speed with the D3 modem. I know that as far as the Express plan is concerned, that the D2 modem is perfectly capable of attaining the 18 Mbps speed - just that Rogers will not provide it! The same thing goes for the usage allowance as well!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I know that IHR.
I was stating for the fact of the other poster, saying that they were getting slower speeds with the new modem. I was saying it as fact and proof you CAN get those speeds with the new one (but yes run into other problems, potentialy)

I've Been Around

our internet service as of late has been awful lagging cutting out slow to load. Wondering if there is work being done and this will improve soon or need to get tech again. really bad after rain

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi,

It really sounds like you have external cable or connector problems, given your comments about the rain.  The one thing to remember is that the cables and connectors don't last forever, and usually die a slow exasperating death, instead of just going all at once, which would be much easier to fix. The same applies to above ground and underground cables.  I suspect that you need to call in a tech to check the cables.  In the mean time, can you go to the following page and have a look at the DOCSIS WAN Downstream / Upstream data tables from my CGN3.  I'd like you to log into your modem and copy the same DOCSIS WAN tables and paste them into this thread.  Don't copy the IP address and other data above the Downstream table, just the tables themselves.  With that we can have a look at the signal power and signal to noise ratios. 

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/176...

Which modem / router do you happen to have:  DPC3825, CGN3 or CGN2?

What service plan are you on, Hybrid Fibre 10, 30, 60, 150, 250 or ultimate?

What device do you connect with normally, to the modem / router, and how is that done, wired or wireless?

And, where are you located?

What's New
UFC 231: Holloway vs. Ortega Live
LIVE: Saturday December 8, 2018 10PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of Dec 6 at 4pm ET.
UFC 231: Countdown Promo

UFC returns to Toronto on December 8th with a championship double-header as undisputed featherweight champion Max Holloway defends his title against unbeaten Brian Ortega. Also, a new UFC women's flyweight champion will be crowned when Valentina Shevchenko takes on former strawweight queen Joanna Jedrzejczyk for the vacant title. Saturday, December 8, live on Sportsnet Pay-Per-View from Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, Canada.