Slow Internet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Slow Internet

I would think that should work.
The frequency range should be high enough... thats the problem with sometimes CHEAP splitters, etc.. their frequency range is much too low and can actually not transmit some of the freqencies needed.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, that will work.  The min freq range required is 0 to 1 Ghz, so that barrel connector ranging up to 3 Ghz is fine.  If you have other cable outlets around the house I would recommend replacing them at the same time. 

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Thanks for the help guys! Smiley Happy That might have done the trick. If I got any other issues with internet speeds, I'll be glad to update.

I Plan to Stick Around

my internet is fast 100 down and 10 up when i download stuff my internet is slow browsing and everything else is fast when i download stuff on dedicated servers i only download speed 500 - 1000 kb and my friends its 3.4 mb the same download file

Retired Moderator RogersArthur
Retired Moderator

Hi @Jasonkandola,

Thank you for your post, I can imagine how frustrating and a little confusing it must be to have fast Internet speeds except for when downloading.

• When did the issue start?

• If it's worked in the past, have there been any recent changes (equipment relocated, weather, account/plan change)?

• Is it happening connected to Ethernet cable and/or over Wi-Fi?

• What's your current setup, meaning are are you running the modem in Gateway or Bridge mode?

•  Do you have another router connected, if so which one?

• What have you tried so far?

I would suggest power cycling the modem to start with if you haven't done so. You mentioned your Internet is 100 down and 10 up, could you please confirm your current download speed by completing an online speed test using the Rogers SpeedCheck tool:

1. Go to http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html.
  2. Click Begin Test.
  3. The test results will be displayed when the test is complete.

Maybe one of our resident experts @Datalink or @Gdkitty could jump in anytime to assist

Thanks,
RogersArthur

I've Been Here Awhile

Slow Internet Every Night!

My family is using Hybrid Fibre 60 and every night when we play video games the ping is ridiculous! Every night its 3 times the norm and it's making the experience horrible. Paying for a top tier and for what? So I can lag when I'm actually home to use the internet! I understand its peak time so if it's not at the best performance but 3 times worse?

Port 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Frequency (MHz) 669.000 675.000 681.000 687.000 693.000 699.000 705.000 711.000
Modulation 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM
Signal power (dBmV) -8.98 -8.96 -8.71 -8.78 -9.02 -9.05 -9.09 -8.97
Signal noise ratio (dB) 35.972 35.595 35.972 35.972 35.972 36.174 35.972 35.972
Channel ID 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I wouldn't mind seeing the upstream channels as well just out of curiosity.  By looking at the downstream I can tell that you have problems with your external cable or connectors or both.  The downstream levels should all be at 0 dBmV ideally, with a signal to noise ratio in the 36 to 40 dB range.  Yours are fairly far down, although not at the bottom limit of -15 dBmV, but its typical to see problems when the levels reach +/-  7/8   dBmV.

You should have three upstream channels with a signal level of 36 to 40 dBmV. If you have less than three, or the signal levels are up in the 51 dBmV range, which is the max for three upstream channels in operation, you do indeed have cable and/or connector issues.

Call tech support and ask the CSR to run a signal check on the modem.  Indicate to the CSR what your signal levels are like and the problems that you are having.  The signal check should lead to a tech visit very soon to inspect and replace any cabling and connectors that are causing the signal problems.  The CSR runs a check that yields bit error rates, which is similar but not exactly the same as the signal levels.  Ask the CSR to check the node as well, which is the next upstream device that the modem communicates with.  Its always worth a check just in case something is going one that effects the neighborhood as a whole.  

Typically as the cable and connectors age over the years, the downstream losses go from zero or near zero to a point where the modem has trouble decoding the signals.  The modem output power back to the node is pushed up to the max.  If that is insufficient to communicate with the node, then one channel is dropped and the power is pushed up on the two remaining channels.  If that doesn't work, the modem drops down to one upstream channel.  If you're there, then your date rates would slow right down.

When all is said and done, can you repost both the downstream and upstream levels again.  That way we can check to see if they are where they should be.

I've Been Here Awhile

My Upstream Channel looks like this.

Port1234
Frequency (Hz)385960003059600023700000 
Bandwidth (kbps/KHz)320000064000006400000 
ModulationTypeATDMAATDMAATDMA 
Signal power (dBmV)46.750046.750046.7500 
Channel ID123 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No surprise there.  Downstream is dropping and the modem is pushing up the upstream output power to maintain its communication with the node.  Thats very normal for a cable or connector problem.

I've Been Here Awhile

So I should call Rogers and have someone look into this?