Slow Internet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Slow Internet

Thanks for the reply, but I did all these modem signal stuff before, and it didnt help at all. I have a tech coming in next week, hopefully that'd solve anything.  It's very likely just the cable's problem. I've tried everything.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hey @Meowmix regrading on my 3 week post ago with my internet, so apparently the maintenance crew and techs fixed the neighborhood issue with the noise signal strength and I'm still around the 6-8 dB range.. I was asked to swap modems via tech support on the phone cause they told me that there's no signal problems in my area and there's nothing wrong with my wiring etc. So should I swap the modem?

I've Been Here Awhile

Incredibly slow internet speeds even over ethernet

The past few days my 500/20 plan has dropped the ball hard. It takes forever to download games, visit pages, load images... everything. =

I ran many speed tests many different times and found that i'm getting ~5 mbps download most of the time. At it's worst it was <1 mbps. From time to time I get back to 500 mbps but it doesnt last more than 5 minutes before dropping back down to 5.  This is on my main desktop... connected via ethernet.... don't get me started on what speed my phone gets on WiFi. What the heck is going on.

Here's the downstream overview.

internet.PNG

I Plan to Stick Around

Similar problem here. Downloads fluctuate widely. Will show 500-600 Mbps then after a few mins drop to 20-30 and sometimes down to 2-3 Mbps. Also getting occasional pixelation on tv. I had an onsite tech visit today.  Fortunately was able to demonstrate the problem while he was here.  He said he would report the problem to Rogers Maintenance. Said the problem was at the box on the street. We have a lot of construction going on on the street so likely some damage to the main lines. 

Now the fun starts. He said there should have a crew out in 48 hours but with the long weekend that might mean Weds. 

Hello @prfct2

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

Topping out at 5Mbps download on Ignite 500U is definitely not right! I can imagine how much of a chore it is to do anything online with speeds like that. =(

The signal levels you've posted are within the specified range for your service. Since it is affecting numerous devices on both Ethernet and Wi-Fi its possible there could be an issue in your area that is causing the slow speeds. We'll need to run some tests on our end to be certain of what is going on. Please send us a Private Message to @CommunityHelps so we can pull up your info on file and take a closer look at this. Please click here if you are not familiar with our Private Messaging system.

@Sailorman, Keep us posted on how things go after our maintenance teams take a look at this. We have maintenance technicians available on-call 24/7 so it's possible the work may get done even with the Long Weekend going on!

We look forward to hearing from you!

RogersTony

I Plan to Stick Around

Here's an update on my situation as at Weds: 

Spoke to a Home Tech agent after the long weekend on Tuesday pm who was at my neighbours house. Said my neighbour was having a similar problem with inconsistent internet line speed like me. Said a Maintenance crew had attended on the street on Tuesday PM and found some problems at the street hubs where we and my neighbour are connected. Replaced some parts in one of the boxes where he said they found some water damage; said however they determined there was an issue in the main line on the street somewhere connecting the boxes ... so more work required to find and fix.  No indication when it would be completed. Told me to call in if it's not resolved "in a couple of weeks."  

My current download speeds fluctuate between 500 and 5 Mbps. Starts fast but dies quickly. and settles around 5-10 Mbps. TV also continues to show pixelation intermittently.  

Hope this gets resolved soon. 

I've Been Here Awhile

Exact same thing here.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Here's the latest on my line speed issues. It's not going very well. If someone at Rogers is interested in more info please PM me. 

Line speed has continued to be a problem this week with speed fluctuating widely on use. If the modem is rebooted download speeds starts out great at 500 Mbps plus but after use it slows to <25 Mbps and often gets worse until it's not useable and I reboot the modem. I called Tech Support on Friday to check status on the maintenance work that I was told was scheduled on the street, and was told the only maintenance planned on this street was to bury the temporary lines. Not at all what I was led to believe.  

Tech Support said, based on the tests they ran while we were talking on the phone, that they could see that there were problems on the street. After me explaining some of the history, and him reviewing the notes on my file, he suggested that another onsite visit from Home Tech was necessary to run further tests. He said it would be a more senior and "different" technician than the person who attended last week.  

This morning (Sunday) the tech arrived and to my surprise it was the same Rogers tech who was here previously on August 4th. He checked the connections outside and ran speed tests on the modem. Results were positive with speeds up to 500 Mbps. I explained and showed him again how the speed would degrade after use. He swapped the modem out and replaced with a new modem and advised that he would escalate to Maintenance. He gave me his phone number and told me to call him later on Monday if problems persisted. He promised to get his supervisor involved if problems persist.

So far with the new modem, speed has been better but still fluctuates widely. Upload speeds are very consistent ~ 20 Mbps but downloads speeds vary widely. I just ran five tests on wifi and speeds were:  24.7; 22.5; 12.9 and 203 and 11.8 Mbps. Things usually get worse as the day goes on especially in late afternoon and evening, so I'm not very optimistic.  

Something definitely not right here. I understand an intermittent problem can be hard to diagnose and fix, but not sure what 's going on as some mixed signals on work Maintenance is supposed to be doing on our street. The Home Tech reaffirmed today with the modem swap and connection checks that the problem is not in the house.

In the meantime service is not great. 

Hello, @prfct2 & @Sailorman.

Thank you for your diligence and patience. We can certainly run a few tests from our side and take the next step to find the solution. Please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps as suggested by @RogersTony in the earlier post. 

Looking forward to seeing the speed back to normal soon!

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I Plan to Stick Around

PM sent