Slow Internet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Slow Internet

I have an issue that began yesterday...

I have rogers ignite 100, yesterday i noticed there was a buffering issue on netflix so I ran a speedtest..

7 megabit! What?

Unplugged my hitron cg3, wated and plugged it back in...

Unplugged my dlink dir-880L..

waited and plugged it back in...

Same result, It was fine until yesterday

Is there currently an issue in the Brampton area?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

ROGERS INTERNET WIFI VERY SLOW

rogers ignite 100u wifi speed very slow on my laptop and some time i lost connection .anyone have any idea?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@alm450, have you checked in with Tech Support to see if there are any issues in your area?  If you're interested, you could log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS.... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upsteam tables and paste them into this thread.  Those are the cable signal levels and signal to noise ratios, which might be of interest at the present time.  If you are talking with tech support, you can ask the CSR to run a signal check on the modem, to see if anything is up, but, pasting them into the thread will allow us to have a look at them and give you an opinion as to what sort of shape they are currently in. 

If you have a CGN3ACSMR as seen by the product sticker at the back of the modem, you can use 192.168.100.1 to log into the modem with the router in place.  Using that address allows you to use a pc or laptop which is connected to the router, so you don't have to rip your network apart.  If you have a CGN3 or CGN3AC, then unfortunately you will have to run a factory reset on the modem by depressing the recessed reset button at the back of the modem for thirty seconds and releasing it.  That will initiate a reset and reboot.  After the reboot, you will have to connect directly to the modem with a pc or laptop, then log into 192.168.0.1 and copy the tables from the STATUS.... DOCSIS WAN page.  After that, navigate to the BASIC .... GATEWAY function page, disable the Residential Gateway Function, hit Save Changes and the modem will reboot back into Bridge mode, where you can reconnect your router and pc.  Done....

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@njeya, there are two possible issues, cable signal problems leading to the modem, and wifi problems, which might range from running on a crowded channel to owning a laptop which only has one antenna for transmit/receive, and as a result suffers from slow wifi data rates.

To check for cable issues, you would need to connect to the modem directly via ethernet.  When you have done that, check the connected port LED at the back of the modem.  If its amber, that means that the modem and device are connected at 1 Gb/s, which will allow you to see approx 130 Mb/s on a speedtest with Rogers speedboost kicking in.  If its green, that means that the device only has a 100 Mb/s port on it, or, that the ethernet cable isn't connecting properly or that the cable itself only supports 100 Mb/s.  People have "Fast Ethernet" cables hanging around their home which have been around for a while.   At one point they were fast, but, in reality they are built to only support 100 Mb/s.   The end result with a green LED port light showing is a max download rate of 100 Mb/s.  You won't see the slightly higher data rates with speedboost kicking in.

With the device connected via ethernet, run a speedtest at http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html and at www.speedtest.net using the Toronto Telus server and let us know what your results are.

Log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS.... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into this thread.  Those are the cable signal levels which might be of interest, given your comments on slow data rates.

For the wifi, can you let us know the exact model of the laptop.  And, can you drill down the Device Manager to get the model of the wifi adapter from the Device Manager list.  This is where things get interesting as many time we determine that the laptop wifi will not support high data rates.  We had this come up yesterday for a brand new HP laptop.

Lastly, you can load inSSIDer onto the laptop and have a look at your wifi environment.  On a dual band laptop, 2.4 and 5 Ghz, this graphic will show both bands and the networks that are operating in those bands.  It will show your network and who you are competing with, which might also explain the slow data rates, especially if you are running into interference from other networks.  This is the last freebie version and does not show the 802.11ac networks in the 5 Ghz band.  There is a new pay version out that does, and which runs on a normal 802.11 b/g/n laptop by reading the transmit headers and presenting the total 5 Ghz picture.  The graphic zero point is at the top, and the scale descends from there.  What you want to see is your network as the highest network on the 2.4 or 5 Ghz display, and any other competing networks in the vicinity of 40 to 45 dBmW lower, or below that level.  Anything less, in terms of power separation between your network and any competing network can result in your network running slower.  You want to avoid overlapping network, but on the 2.4 Ghz band, that could be difficult if not impossible depending on where you live.  You might decide that the 5 Ghz network is the place to operate, if you laptop can use that band and you can see it on the display.  If that area is totally blank, that would mean that the laptop doesn't have a dual band wifi card and can't see or use the 5 Ghz band.  Normally there is always someone around who is running a 5 Ghz network.  

You might be able to determine that there is another less crowded channel that you can use, and if so, change the modem channel to that specific channel.  That might offer some temporary relief, as modems and routers operate on auto for channel selection, so, what might be less crowded at one point can be occupied shortly thereafter due to the auto channel selection.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Ok.  Give that a go, and let us know what you find to this point.

I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers internet is so slow and NOT reliable that it makes me want to punch myself in the face.  FIX YOUR INTERNET, I have had enough of this.  It is only fast in the very early AM then from noon its a bloody nightmare.

I am dumping this company and other should as well.  This was my speed test tonight on my 100/u service.  Dispicably slow.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5106156599

Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Hello @RadioStar,

You mentioned in the thread here that you were going to escalate to a manager. Have you already called in regarding this issue and escalated it? Please let me know, I can look further into this issue for you. 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

I'm a Regular

Hi, is there someone from Rogers who can PM me please?  I have a ticket open from almost 2 weeks ago for Internet performance issues almost nightly between 8pm and 11pm.  I have the ticket # which I can share in the PM.  I've called in several times for a status update with today being the most recent call-in.  The technical support agent told me today that Rogers checked their back-end network and couldn't find anything wrong, but left the ticket open.  The agent then told me to use the online chat tonight when I experience the problem again.  So I had the problem again tonight (download maxed out at 28Mbps with 46ms ping and 132ms jitter using the Rogers speed test site).  I got in touch with an agent in the online chat and he confirmed what the very first technical support agent told me - that there's definitely an issue with the network in my area which is impacting many people in my neighbourhood.  I have no idea why the notes in my ticket indicate that the Rogers engineers couldn't find anything wrong with the network when there clearly is a problem, acknowledged by 2 different agents.  If someone from Rogers can please PM me and help me escalate this, I would greatly appreciate it.  I cannot wait much longer for Rogers to fix the problem since I depend on my connection to do my work (I work from home full-time).  If this can't be fixed within a reasonable amount of time, I will have no choice but to switch providers, which is something I would like to avoid if possible.  Thank you.  I look forward to hearing from someone.

Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Hello @toolcubed,

I am going to PM you via @CommunityHelps. Please keep an eye on your inbox and respond to the PM when you are online. 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

I'm a Regular

Thanks RogersHassam. I've replied to the PM.
I'm a Regular

Update. Tech is coming to the house on Saturday morning. It's an area-wide problem (likely the local node) but was told a tech has to come to check connections, etc. Nothing has changed since Rogers installed everything years ago, and pings/speeds are fine during the day. I doubt the tech will find anything wrong inside. I have saved speed tests and ping plotter tests to show the difference between day and night. This was tonight a few mins ago (again, I'm signed up for 100/10)...

image.png

image.png

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.