Slow Internet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Slow Internet

Hi everyone, 

I'm living in a house with 5 other people and we are experiencing such slow internet connection, currently we have the express package from Rogers.
Basically I can't stream video without pausing every few minutes or so, and watching a video and browsing the internet on another tab is nearly impossible. 
The internet is still slow even if not all of us are using it. We have called Rogers before and all they did was switch modem channels or something ... and that didn't do anything at all to make the situation better. Note that we are all students and use the internet frequently. Any ideas of what is wrong?

Thanks!

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Slow Internet

The express, while a decent internet package.. if you have 5 people on there at once.. COULD slow it down a fair bit.

Alot may come down to WHAT people are doing on there.  If everyone is just downloading/browsing, it could be fine.. but if ANYONE starts uploading anything.. pictures to facebook.. skype video chat... etc.. these things will eat up the small upload, and can greatly effect the performance across the board.

This being said.. it still could be a rogers issue.  At a time when only ONE person is on it.. you need to run a speed test, and see what you are getting.  If its restricted then, then likely yes its an overall issue with the connection, but if you are getting the advertised or higher.. then its likely just a usage issue.

I Plan to Stick Around

There's a total of 6 of us. 

I find the upload speed so slow especially, for instance I usually not even able to change my profile picture on facebook unless I'm really lucky - its that slow sometimes.

I tried the internet speed test while no one else was on the internet
ping: 78.4ms
download: 3.7mbps
upload: 0.38 mbps

These #'s were averaged ... I did the test about 5 times. The download speed fluctuated around a lot ... which seems accurate because whenever I stream video on youtube the video may sometimes stream fast in some spots then I'll have to wait around a few minutes and another burst of video comes after letting it pause. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

that does seem low.. but again from where (your location) to where on the speed test?

I Plan to Stick Around

I finally got the speedtest to work on speedtest.net

I live in London, ON ... the speed test was Hamilton, ON ... so about 1 1/2-2 hr away?

The results were:
43ms ping, 2.20mbps download, 0.17mbps upload

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, yeah, that would probably be your best one to use.. so it is comming way slower than it should.

Now, is this on a modem an a seperate router? or is it one of the gateway modems?

It COULD be a signal issue.. if the signal into the building is poor,  You could get a tech to come out and take a look.  (well, whoever the account holder is would.. guessing your in a place rented by multiple students? Dont know if the internet is in the landlords name, etc).

Its POSSIBLE its a back end issue.. but i havent heard anything specificaly on here from users in that area about issues.

I Plan to Stick Around

I live in a normal family sized house, since my roommate's parents own the house. The modem set up is right by the tv ... so its two boxes one I'm assuming cable and one cord for the internet from the other box. Both white cords one from each box go into a connector and then the wire follows through as one into the carpet. 
I can sit by where everything is set up and still get horrible connection. 

Sorry this was the best way I could describe it, and the issue has been going on since about September :/. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Might be worth getting a tech out, could be where it is, a signal issue, split the wrong way.

I've Been Around

I have been having the same issue with the same plan but here in Mississauga. Removed the router and even left everything off for an hour to make sure it was all reset. My speed tests even at 2am are barely over 1mb with a quick boost to 3-4 if I am lucky though the upload is fine, net has been like this for almost 2 weeks and still nothing. Have had rogers since '95 but shopping for a new isp since my 30% off deal runs out in November, tired of paying so much for not even close to the proper speeds plus an extremely small bandwidth of 80gbs which tbh is a pretty pathetic amount. Easy way to check your connection though is just power down your pc and unplug your modem and wait 45min to make sure any p2p throttling that might have been going on is gone then plug it directly into your pc(ie no router to test) plug it in again then turn on your pc and check your speeds. If you don't get within 4-5mbs of your offered speed with the closest server then I would complain to have it fixed.
I've Been Around

Like many others on this forum, I have been experiencing extremely slow download speeds on my "Extreme" Rogers package.  Every time I'm on the internet or using email, I expect to hear that old static and electronic beeps that my dial up modem used to make - 20 years ago!  After quite a bit of searching, I have yet to find anyone on here that has had this issue satisfactorily resolved, despite going to level 2 tech support, referrals to "engineering" and even the Office of the President.

Has anyone had their speed restored to advertised levels (or even half that)? 

What's New
UFC 231: Holloway vs. Ortega Live
LIVE: Saturday December 8, 2018 10PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of Dec 6 at 4pm ET.
UFC 231: Countdown Promo

UFC returns to Toronto on December 8th with a championship double-header as undisputed featherweight champion Max Holloway defends his title against unbeaten Brian Ortega. Also, a new UFC women's flyweight champion will be crowned when Valentina Shevchenko takes on former strawweight queen Joanna Jedrzejczyk for the vacant title. Saturday, December 8, live on Sportsnet Pay-Per-View from Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, Canada.