Slow Internet and Latency Spikes, Need Help!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Slow Internet and Latency Spikes, Need Help!

@Datalink or any other tech wizards 

See above post for info on my current issue

So I just checked my DOCSIS WAN and was very surprised to see my signal noise ratio at 37dB on all frequencies 1-24 for the first time in over a week and signal strength levels at around 6dB with no huge spikes between frequencies Yay!!!

Then I took a closer look as I have been taking a ton screen shots of my DOCSIS WAN over the past month or so since this issue started.  Every time my Internet as been working perfectly my channel ID numbers are much lower as shown in this picture http://i.imgur.com/E4TMf6h.jpg  When my Internet is Bad the channel ID numbers  are always much higher as shown in this picture http://i.imgur.com/pchL351.jpg

I also know that I had higher channel ID numbers a few hours before making this post and was experiencing random video freezing while watching twitch.tv. Then for whatever reason all the channel ID numbers lowered 15-30 min ago and everything is great. 

Given the amount of screen shots I have taken over the last month I don't think this can be just a coincidence 

What causes channel ID numbers to change?

What do channel ID numbers do? 

Is there anyway I can ensure that my modem always uses lower channel ID numbers?

Thanks to anyone who can offer any insight on this 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Bromoran, just to let you know, I read your previous post from today.  What a load of ....  Was that a contract tech or a real Rogers tech? 

In any event, just a quick response for now, looking at your last two screen shots.  It looks like you might have a case of noise injection into the cable system by one of your neighbors, causing problems for all of your neighbors.  It alternates between good and bad, thats obvious.  The trick to this is call into tech support when you see the bad signal conditions.  Ask the tech to run a signal check and look for packet loss and noise.  Also ask the tech to check the noise history for the last 24 hours and check the neighbors modems for the same high frequency roll-off, packet loss and noise.  The effect is seen across all of the channels but most noticeable in the high frequency ranges.  So, put tech support on speed dial. 

In support of that, you can look for packet loss and latency as well.  The latency  cannot be addressed by tech support as thats an issue that exists between the Casa Systems CMTS which is new, and the Hitron modem.  Rogers, Casa Systems and Hitron are working on this issue.

Any packet loss however, if detected, can be address by tech support and the field techs. 

Can you load pingplotterpro from www.pingplotter.com.  It will run in PRO mode for 14 days before it kicks down to Freebie mode if you don't buy the intermediate or advanced licence.  When you have that loaded, and started, right click on the top title bar to bring up the column menu.  Select MAX and JTTR to display those columns and drag those columns right so that their sitting beside the MIN column.  In the Focus drop down menu on the upper right, select ALL for now so that it holds and displays the extreme values of the MIN, MAX, Jitter and Packet loss data and averages the ping times from the time that its selected.  This will show if at some point you have packet loss problems, even if that comes and goes.  Then start a test session out to something like google.ca. and hit the green "Go" button.  Drag the bottom area up to the bottom of the data area to expand the scaling for that lower data area.   Right click on the lower area and set the display time for 5 minutes.  Let that run for five minutes, filling the lower display area.  Then, select Edit .... Copy as Image.  Dump the clipboard contents to something like MS paint, wipe out the line 1 address as it will most likely be an IPV6 address for your modem and then save that image.  Run another test but this time change the Focus time in the upper right to 30 seconds.  To start that, hit the down arrow next to the pause button and select "Reset and Restart".  Let that run for a minute or two.  This will show if you have ongoing packet loss problems as the data lookback for the upper data area is only 30 seconds instead of all of the data.  Then run the same Edit .... Copy as image routine......  If you see any packet loss shown in the packet loss column at any time, copy that image and save it and post that data.  Thats what I'm interested at this point.  

Insert those images into a post and indicate which Focus time is applicable..

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink

5 minute test focus ALL

5 minute test focus ALL.png

5 minute test 30 second focus

5 minute test 30 second focus.png

Here are the 2 images you requested I hope I did everything correctly. I'm guessing I shoud run the same test again when my internet decides to fail correct? or was I only to do this test when I was experencing internet issues.

Thanks again

P.S. I'm not sure how to tell if the tech was contracted or a real Rogers tech

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Bromoran, reviewing your image posts, I see what you mean when you indicated a difference between the lower and higher frequencies.  When your modem is operating on the lower frequencies, your signal levels are good.  The downstream signal levels are within a 2 to 3 dBmV range which is what I would expect.  When the CMTS shifts the modem up into the upper frequencies, the highest frequencies exhibit a signal level roll-off and drop about 13 dBmV.  The DOCSIS 3.0 limit for a signal slope is 12 dBmV, so that limit is broken.  Rogers might use a different limit, not sure at this point.  

The other item to note is that when the frequency shift upwards occurs, your signal levels which start at 615 Mhz drop by about 1.5 dBmV.  As the frequency increases, those signal levels do pick up to previous levels, and then drop right off at the end, dropping 13 dBmV.  For some reason the CMTS is forcing your modem to operate at the higher frequencies, and my guess is some type of noise on the network or a cable condition is causing the CMTS to react.  I suspect that your modem isn't the only one forced up into the higher frequencies.  That upwards shift would be an automatic reaction and there isn't anything that you can to prevent that.  The CMTS is most likely reacting to that noise or cable condition and simply moving the connected modems to some frequency set where both CMTS  and modem are reasonably happy and can continue to operate.  The roll-off at the higher level is somewhat mystifying as both CMTS and modem are capable of operating at those frequencies.  

So, don't change modems.  This isn't a modem issue from what I can see.  

When the modem is operating in the upper frequency range, what do you see at your end that tells you that?  Are you seeing a slowdown in data rates, or other effects, and if you have Rogers Cable or Home phone, do you see any effects on those as well?

You pingplotter images are actually pretty good.  The high MAX times are most likely due to the Casa CMTS - Hitron modem issue that the engineering staff are working on.  Were those plots taken when the signal conditions were good, or bad?  Just want be clear on that.

To narrow down the display on pingplotter, when its up and running, right click on the line 2 IP address and select the 2nd choice in the pop-up menu to copy the IP address.  Paste that into the address bar, then select the down arrow on the right hand side of the address bar to bring up the drop down menu, select "Reset and Restart".  Now you're pinging the CMTS only, so the bottom display will display only the data to and from the CMTS, which is what we're concerned about.  Select 5 seconds for the Focus time and right click on the bottom display to select the time frame of your choice.  You can scroll back and forth on the bottom if you select a time like 5 or 10 minutes and have left pingplotter running beyond the selected time.  If you do have any packet loss occurring when you notice the high frequencies in use, that should show up in the bottom display.  Unless its an ongoing condition, it would not remain indicated at the top as you have 5 seconds selected for the Focus time.  

I would encourage anyone using pingplotter for the first time to play around with it and explore the right click menu choices. 

If I remember correctly you have 100 Mb/s unlimited.  If thats correct you could just leave pingplotter running so that you can scroll back thru the history on the bottom display.  If you have no packet loss, what you will see should resemble the images in the first two to three rows of my image library, which illustrate the Casa CMTS to Hitron modem latency issue.  In my case I don't have any packet loss, just an ongoing series of high time pings to the CMTS.  

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/829158

What you could do for starters is call tech support and ask the CSR to look at the noise history for your modem and your neighbors.  Explain what your seeing in terms of a frequency shift between the lower and upper frequencies and also indicate what you are seeing in terms of effects on your internet, cable and / or home phone services.  You never know what will turn up unless you ask the question.  Then, if and when you see that your modem is back on the upper frequencies, and you see the same signal levels as you have posted, start pingplotter if isn't already started so that you can see the modem to CMTS path displayed and call tech support.  Advise the CSR what is going on, (it might not be indicated in the notes on file) and ask him or her to run a modem signal check, and look for packet loss and noise, and check your neighbors as well.  If you have packet loss indicated on pingplotter, the CSR should be able to detect that as well  I'd be interested in knowing if you see any packet loss with pingplotter.  

Ok, that should do it for now.  Please keep posting.....

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink

Not sure if you wanted me to post this

Here is the Pinging CMTS 10 minute Focus 5 seconds Aug 21st (modem using lower frequencies good internet)

Pinging CMTS 10 minute Focus 5 seconds Aug 21st (modem using lower frequencies good internet).png

I will post more pingplotter data when and if my modem decides to switch back to the higher  frequencies and my internet starts failing.

Thanks so much for your help @Datalink you're the real MVP

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink

My Internet was acting up yesterday so I took some screenshots / pingplotter data for you to look at

First image is modem still using the lower frequencies signal strengh numbers much higher then they normally are as well as lower signal to noise ratios accross all frequencies  (usually all 37 on lower frequencies) http://i.imgur.com/KPdswUm.jpg

Shortly after modem switched to the higher level frequencies. Still had high signal strength numbers but signal to noise numbers  were more in line with what im used to seeing on those frequencies http://i.imgur.com/frfkm8f.jpg

Here is pingplotter image Pinging Google.ca 6 hour test 30 second focus ( modom using high frequencies)

Pinging Google.ca 6 hour test 30 second focus ( modom using high frequencies).png

I'm still not 100% sure on how to read this but i'm guessing the red lines throughout the graph are bad.  Are the red lines packet loss?

Thanks again

Hi @Bromoran

I think we should troubleshoot this one further. Please PM us @CommunityHelps and we will troubleshoot!

RogersCorey

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yup, the red lines are packet loss.  Given the problems that you're having, can you do this.  Instead of pinging google or somewhere else, ping the CMTS so that we can see the performance of the modem to CMTS path.  To do that, right click on the IP address in line 2.  Select the 2nd option to copy the IP address and then paste that into the address bar and restart the ping test.  Now you're pinging the CMTS only.  So, the question at this point is whether or not you see any packet loss occur between the modem and the CMTS.  Running pingplotter in this fashion will separate any downstream network issues and keep the data focused on the modem to CMTS path for now. 

Your signal level images are pretty odd.  There is either something wrong with the CMTS or there is a fault somewhere between the CMTS and the modem.  The signal levels shouldn't be bouncing up and down 10 dBmV.  They should be flat, across the board and grouped around 0 dBmV. 

Hopefully @RogersCorey can do some meaningful troubleshooting and get the ball rolling.  In the mean time, if you can run the pingplots between the modem and CMTS that would be useful to see.

I Plan to Stick Around

I think it's also important to update when things improve.

So for the last week or so, things have settled down for me and service is quite good again in the M3L area.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink

Here is a 2 plus hour test pinging the CMTS onlyPinging CMTS 2+ hour test.png

Packet loss occued 2 times from what I can tell