Slow Internet and Latency Spikes, Need Help!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Slow Internet and Latency Spikes, Need Help!

Hi,

I have been experiencing a lot of internet issues concerning speed and latency, for approximately a month. I have frequently contacted Rogers, in which two techinicans came to my house. The first technicain came to my house because my internet was offline for extended periods of times (aprox. a few hours each time). Maintenace also came to improve wireless signal. Afterwards, my internet did not imrpoved but was extremely slow where it was impossible to watch even just two minute YouTube videos. A second technican came and reset my modem and said that if problems persist, get a new modem, and I did, however the internet was still slow. Recently, multiple devices were able to connect to my wifi, but there was no internet connection available except for YouTube, no other website. I called Rogers, and my Modem was reset twice which temporarily resolved my internet problems, although a day after the reset, my internet is still slow despite all the technical assistance.

Main problems I am experiencing are:

- Generally Slow Internet
- Fluctuating ping/latency in online games, that makes them very laggy

Internet Plan: Hybird 30 & Techxpert

Modem Model: CGN2-Rog

Device Information
System Time Fri Jul 22 06:31:48 2016 (UTC+0)
System Uptime 001 days 08h:30m:39s
Model Name CGN2-ROG
SW version 3.1.6.11
HW version 1A
RG Status ON
Wifi Status ON
NAT Status ON
DHCP Status ON
Firewall Status ON

CM Status:

Downstream
Port 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Frequency (MHz) 603.000 609.000 615.000 621.000 357.000 363.000 369.000 375.000
Modulation 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM
Signal power (dBmV) 1.915 2.111 1.742 1.783 -1.10 -1.08 -1.35 -1.00
Signal noise ratio (dB) 36.174 36.174 35.972 36.174 36.386 36.609 36.386 36.386
Channel ID 33 34 35 36 9 10 11 12

Upstream
Port 1 2 3 4
Frequency (Hz) 30596000 23700000 38596000
Bandwidth (kbps/KHz) 6400000 6400000 3200000
ModulationType ATDMA ATDMA ATDMA
Signal power (dBmV) 45.2500 44.7500 44.7500
Channel ID 4 5 6

Speedtests:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5495011153
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5495039771
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5495057402

Pingtests:

http://www.pingtest.net/result/149179248.png
http://www.pingtest.net/result/149179844.png
http://www.pingtest.net/result/149180208.png

inSSIDer:

http://imgur.com/a/ffHTM

***Edited Labels***

I'm Here A Lot

Re: Slow Internet and Latency Spikes, Need Help!

I have the Ignite 250u package and for two months, the maximum download speed that I am able to achieve is ~15mbps. Upload speed is 22mbps always.

Here's the weird part, if I run a speedtest for Toronto (my closest server), I get 310+ mbps. If I choose any other server location or any other test site, I get a max speed of between 3-15mbps. When doing file transfers from sites like microsoft or apple, I also hit a maximum of 15mbps. This result is achieved connected with ethernet directly to the modem.

I'm desperate to find a resolution to this problem.

Modem:

Hitron CGN3ACSMR

FW: 4.5.8.22 (upgraded yesterday, no fix)

Speed tests:

Speedtest.net (Toronto) 297.51 Down | 21.7 Up

cira.ca (Toronto) 5.2 Down | 20.4 Up

speedtest.shaw.ca (Winnipeg) 16.1 Down | 21.61 Up

bandwidthplace.com (Montreal) 1.52 Down | 20.39 Up

bandwidthplace.com (NY, NY) 4.08 Down | 19.98 Up

speedof.me (closest setting) 2.17 Down | 19.8 Up

Streaming Tests:

Youtube 480p - Plays without buffering

Youtubte 720p - Barely plays - buffers lots

Youtube 1080p - Not playable

Youtube 4k - Forget it

Twitch Low Quality - Plays

Twitch HD - No playable

Netflix 720p - Plays with ocassional buffering

Netflix 1080p - Not playable

File download tests:

Download Windows 10 ISO from microsoft.com - 1.1MBps

Download movie from iTunes - 1.3MBps

Things I've tried:

My modem has been replaced, no change.

No splitters or filters on the cable.

Modem is on newest .22 firmware now, no change.

Calling tech support 4 times (3.5 hrs total time), no change

Tested bridged and non bridged. 

Here's my modem stats.

Connected to a Casa Systems CMTS-MAC=00:17:10

Retired Moderator RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator

Hi @Jamie1995

Thanks for posting on the Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Are you experiecing this on a direct connection or over WiFi?

Maybe one of our Resident Experts can provide some insight here, @Datalink @Gdkitty ?

@RogersPrasana

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Jamie1995 your modem power levels are fine, both Downstream and Upstream.  Same for the signal to noise ratios.  The problem is the wifi channel usage.  Your inSSIDer image shows two higher power networks running channels 6 and 11.  Yours, and another network with a higher received power level.  Essentially that means that the second unidentified network is potentially jamming your network causing very slow upload rates.  If you look at the image, you can see your network outlined in blue.  There is a second network with a higher received power level in orange, just above that.  Below that, also in orange is a another network CIK007 running channels 6 and 11 which will provide a lower level of interference with your network as well as at least three other networks operating on channel 11, also causing a lower level of interference.  The scale of the display has zero at the top, and descends from there.  The data in the top left display can be sorted by selecting any of the data column title, causing that column and associated data to be sorted top to bottom, and then reverse sorted bottom to top if the column title is selected again.  If you sort the signal column or channel column that can help compare your network against any other network with the same power levels or channels

There are a couple of scenarios to consider:

1. That the second network is transmitted by your modem.  Do you happen to have Rogers Home monitoring running, or perhaps a guest network? That would explain the second network.  If the answer is no, or not to your knowledge, and if the CGN2 was following the rules, it would not transmit a 40 Mhz wide channel, using channels 6 and 11 to do so, as the secondary channel, channel 11 is already occupied.  The CGN2 in that case should be using channel 6. If the channel setting was set to Auto, it should select channel 1 as that channel offers the least amount of overlap.

2. That the second network does belong to someone else and the CGN2 is not following the rules and restricting itself to channel 6, as it should.

How to determine which scenario is applicable: Start inSSIDer and when the networks are displayed by the application, pull the power for the modem, which will cause the modem, and the networks transmitted from the modem to cease operation.  The inSSIDer display will take about three to four minutes to fully update, but when it does, your network will drop from the display.  If only your network drops, leaving the top unknown network up and running, then yup, it belongs to someone else and the CGN2 is not following the rules.  If both networks drop from the display, then the modem is transmitting a second network for some reason.  Home monitoring or Guest networks come to mind as we've seen similar occasions such as this in the past.

If it turns out that you have Home Monitoring, running on channels 6 and 11, that should be provided from a Rogers supplied Netgear router from what I understand. Maybe that has changed recently?  I'll leave that for others to comment on.  If you have a Netgear router running for Home Monitoring, call tech support and ask the CSR to change the channel bandwidth on that router to 20 Mhz and change the channel to channel 11 to reduce the conflicting channels.  If you don't have a Netgear router and the service is provided thru the CGN2 then you should probably call tech support and find out what the current configuration rules are for running Home Monitoring. If you should have a separate Netgear router, then a tech visit is in order to install one.

If you don't have Home Monitoring, and that second network stays up and running as it belongs to someone else, you should change the channel bandwidth for the CGN2 to 20 Mhz and change to channel 1.  Take the Channel selection off of Auto. Auto doesn't necessarily work very well all of the time, so you may have to keep an eye on what channels are occupied by using inSSIDer.  The Hitron manual for the CGN2 shows a WIRELESS....ADVANCED page which contains the channel bandwidth setting, 20 Mhz or 20/40 Mhz.  That should probably be set for 20 Mhz.  I suspect that the ADVANCED page is not accessible by the user, so you will probably have to call tech support and have the CSR change the channel Bandwidth to 20 Mhz. Once that is done, you should be able to change the CGN2 channel to channel 1.

If the second network dies, along with your network, and you don't have Home Monitoring or an "intentional" Guest network running, then the CGN2 is running a second unidentified network, which could be a guest network setup by the previous user of that modem or a misconfigured Home Monitoring network which should not be running.  Best thing to to is run a factory reset.  On the WAN/LAN Backup page, there is a Factory Reset function.  You can use that, or there should be a recessed reset pin at the back of the modem that you can depress for thirty seconds and then release.  Both will reset the modem back to Factory settings which should, in theory wipe out the second network.  You will have to reset all of the modem settings again, unfortunately.  Fwiw, on a CGN3, I have seen problems where the Rogers USB setup key has been used to setup a Guest account.  That Guest account and any other settings made by using the Setup Key were beyond the Factory Reset capability, and could not be wiped out.  That might also be the case here. You would need to use that key, which I personally discourage, or call tech support to have the Guest account turned off. After the factory reset, when you have reset the modem settings, changed the wifi channel to channel 1 and changed the channel bandwidth to 20 Mhz (thru tech support if necessary), have a look at the wifi networks with inSSIDer. If you only show one network (yours) on channel 1, you've been successful.  While you are talking with Tech Support previously to change the Channel Bandwidth to 20 Mhz, ask the CSR to check for a Guest Network and ensure that it is disabled.  Ask him or her to enter a random string of characters for the passphrase to ensure that if it does go active, that it can't be easily hacked.  At the same time ask the CSR to check for a Home Monitoring network.  If you don't subscribe to that service, then it should not be operational on your CGN2.  If it turns out that it is enabled for some reason, have it disabled.

Other considerations:  The encryption settings for the wifi network should be as follows:

Wireless Mode:  set to 11N only, unless you have a need to support older B or G devices.

Channel: 1

WPS:  Disabled    This is no longer secure and should not be used.

Security Mode: WPA-Personal

WPA Mode: WPA2-PSK           Use WPA2-PSK only, not Auto or WPA-PSK

Cipher Type: AES only. Do not use TKIP as this is no longer secure and it restricts the data rate to G rates (54 Mb/s)

Looking at your inSSIDer screen shot, there are overlapping channels for all of the 2.4 Ghz channels, so, there is no way to get away from the interference from other modems and routers.  Channel 1 offers the best selection according to the image. That is something that you will have to keep an eye on.  Switching to Channel 1, changing to 20 Mhz bandwidth and getting rid of that secondary network if it belongs to you will definitely help, hopefully to the point where you have reasonable performance.  If that doesn't help, you will have to consider buying a router with external antenna which will provide better wifi performance, and / or move up to the 5 Ghz band.  The 5 Ghz band on the inSSIDer screenshot is empty which indicates that your laptop doesn't support the 5 Ghz band, so, if you have another laptop or wifi desktop around with 5 Ghz capability, it would be worth looking at that band to see how busy it is, if at all.

Also note that Rogers has recently been switching its CMTS equipment from Cisco to Casa Systems, which has resulted in latency spikes, in my case up into the 200 to 300 ms range, just to the node beyond the modem, which is the CMTS.  Rogers is currently working on this, but there is no resolution date from what I know.

Ok, that should do it for now. Let us know what you find.

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm hoping it's this switch from Cisco to Casa that is causing these issues.

On 250/20 plan for over a year. Never had problems until recently, my contract renewed on July 5/6.

CSR noted that July 14 was when there was first signs of interference in the area. Can't tell when my problems started but was definitely after July 6-7.

0.19MBps/down (this was done few days ago before I reached out to CommunityHelp, always wired connection)
http://i.imgur.com/SQeRbhK.png

Technician came over today at 9:30am and said it was my splitters being bad but I took it with a grain of salt. 

Internet starting showing heavy signs of lag/heavy packetloss at 1:30pm

Internet went down around 1:50pm. CSR said it was only a select few houses with internet down and they will send a technician in the area.

Internet back up at around 2:15pm but still very slow that i'm getting disconnected in my game.

Even http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html is unable to do a speedtest, just times out.

Pingplotter:
http://i.imgur.com/kCX7bFd.png

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You have 20% packet loss just getting to the first node beyond the modem.  Thats the CMTS.  So, something is amiss.  If this is still going on, call tech support and ask the CSR to run a signal check on the modem, looking specifically for packet loss and check your neighbors modems as well.  I suspect that its not just you.  You might have to keep calling in, everyday, until this is resolved.  Same for your neighbors.  The more people who complain about it, the higher the likelihood that it will be resolved sooner rather than later.  The latency due to the Casa CMTS is another issue altogether.  From what I have seen, it doesn't result in packet loss, just straight out high latency to anywhere.

Just for the heck of it, assuming that you are running the modem only, without a router, run an IPV6 test at http://ipv6-test.com/   If the IPV6 portion of the test fails altogether, run a factory reset on the modem and reset all of the parameters.  Then run that test again.  In theory you should see 19/20.  The one failure will be due to the DNS name for your address, which Rogers is not supplying at this point.  I've seen poor speedtest results from modems that have been updated to 4.5.8.21, but, have not had a factory reset run on them.  So.... thats a possible contributor.

Retired Moderator RogersCilio
Retired Moderator

Hello @Datalink,

I have merged @carsonperrotti post to this thread as well (message 1).  Can you take a look see and provide any input to assist him, would be much appreciated.  

Cheers,

RogersCilio

I'm Here A Lot

Thank you @RogersCilio and hello @Datalink,

This sounds very very similar to my situation as well. You may see my post that was merged in above. I will do extensive testing to see if my ping and packet loss match the original posters situation and report back my results. Hopefully together we can get to the bottom of this. 

I recently had a tech out as well who confirmed this issue, but was unable to help due to it being out of his scope. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@carsonperrotti did the tech indicate that he or she was going to raise a ticket for maintenance to look at the situation?

I'm Here A Lot

@Datalink Yes, the tech referred it to maintainence. Two days later, the ticket was closed and marked as resolved with no explanation as to why, but the issue persists. Very frustrating. I had to call and have a technical supervisor open a new ticket. Here is the case # C113608588