Slow Internet and Latency Spikes, Need Help!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Slow Internet and Latency Spikes, Need Help!

Yup, exactly.  Thats not looking too bad at this point.  I'd be interested in what it looks like when you have problems on the go.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink

Here is a better pingplotter image 

Pinging CMTS August 29th 30 minute test 5 second focus

Pinging CMTS August 29th 30 minute test 5 second focus.png

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Very good !!  This is a perfect example of what I'm looking for, a two hop plot, modem (IPV6 address removed) and CMTS, looking for any signs of packet loss, and, voila, here it is, as shown on the bottom portion of the plot.  Very good indeed.  This is a great example of packet loss on the modem to CMTS path which is caused by either cable noise or cable condition of some type.  That packet loss will kill any traffic that has to go beyond the CMTS or return back to the modem.

The trick at this point is to get on the phone with tech support when you see that it has started (speed dial plus option 2 for tech support I believe), and have tech support ping the CMTS from the modem and just stay on the line for a few minutes when that runs.  If you can see the packet loss with Pingplotter running, then tech support should be able to see it as well.  The question at this point is, "Is this a singular line issue, as in your cable feed, or, is it an issue for your neighbors as well"  If its a neighborhood issue, that points towards a noise issue or a cable issue between the neighborhood node and the local tap which sits very near your home.  Ask the tech to check the current line noise and noise history to see what turns up. 

Is this occurring when the CMTS is using the higher frequencies?

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink

Yes my modem is currently using the higher frequencies 

Good morning @Bromoran,

Once the work order for maintenance in your area has been completed, this issue should be resolved.

I apologize for any inconvenience but we are aware of the issues in the area.

RogersCorey

I Plan to Stick Around

Unfortunately I don't have a date that I can share at this time. Once again, I do apologize.

RogersCorey

I Plan to Stick Around

The problems that I've detailed previously in this thread have come back. 

Granted it's not as bad as before (where it was basically an issue all day long for several weeks).

It happened again between 1AM-2AM EST this morning.  I'm not going through the process of doing extra work that a paying customer should charging Rogers back for.

Can I get the number of customer relations?  I really feel at this point that the thieves at Rogers should just let me out of my contract so I can move on.

Hi @scratchieepants,

Customer Relations doesn't have a direct number. You have to request to be transferred to them.

Rogerscorey

I Plan to Stick Around

Alright!

Thanks Corey.

I'll give them a call.