Slow Internet Speeds - Check your Security Software

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Slow Internet Speeds - Check your Security Software

I have been experiencing slow speeds on Gigabit service for some time.  I had a awesome maintenance tech come by and replaced some hardware and was able to get speedtests in the 900 Mbps range.  After he left I still had some speed issues and never cracked the 400 Mbps mark.  On a whim, I decided to turn off my Avast protection and do a test again. My Speed DOUBLED to over the 860 Mbps mark.

Here are the suggestions I tried:  https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB203

So for those who have speed issues, look at your security software and see if that is the culprit.

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Slow Internet Speeds - Check your Security Software

Wow @mahomed  Good catch 

We often hear how security heuristics will slow down data flow as it is constantly testing computations for things out of the norm and that we are often advised to disable the security software when doing installs, or software that requires a high demand on read writes, and in particular if it touches the boot sectors or MBR at all.

So it is a good thing to be aware of - the details on the Avast page explain very well what is going on and the workarounds, but it certainly leads to a compromise on the functionality of the product.

Another reality of the issue of whether some of our computing is really up to high speed and at the end of the day, no matter the speed there is a level to the speed of our computing system.

Definitely good information.

Bruce 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mahomed, here's something to consider.   Running an Asus router with the AI Protection enabled will leave IPV4 alone and slow IPV6 packets with additional scans.  The scans are conjecture on my part, but, that would explain why the AI Protection kills IPV6 data rates.  

So, just for experimental purposes, try a test run with the modem in IPV4 mode only.  Change the DUAL (stack) setting on the BASIC .... GATEWAY function tab to IPV4 only.  Save the setting.  The modem will take a couple of minutes to switch to IPV4 mode.  I usually reboot the modem as well, ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot. 

After the reboot, with the Avast security enabled, see what you end up with in terms of speed test data rates.  I'll be interested in the results.  

@Datalink

I tried that and noticed no difference in speed. The big difference is turning off Avast and running the speedtest from the http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html site:

Avast on: 440 Mbps
Avast off: 863 Mbps

HUGE difference.

Now I just need to find some software that provides reasonable protection but does not cut my speed down by 1/2

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mahomed wrote:

Now I just need to find some software that provides reasonable protection but does not cut my speed down by 1/2

I've had good luck running the built in/default Windows Defender protection. I enable Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, and Microsoft Smart Screen Filter in EDGE. I also run Windows 10 and keep it updated. 

I uninstalled Avast and just using the Windows Defender along with Malwarebytes.  I reran the Rogers Speedtest and now am getting the speed I should be getting for a Gigabit package

speedtest.jpg

How to get faster Internet speeds on my older PC

I ran a Rogers speed test  on my faster PC (Intel Core i7-2670QM @ 2.20GHz) and able to get 945 Mbps on the Rogers Gigabit service.  On my older PC (Intel Core2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.50GHz with 4 GB ram and 256 GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD), I can't seem to get back 645 Mbps.  I tried to do a file transfer between systems and can get around 121 MBps to 125 MBps so I know the network card can handle gigabit. 

I also removed the Antivirus and using Windows Defender so I know nothing else Is the bottleneck. I know that 645 Mbps is decent speed but would like to get the max speed from the Internet connection if possible.

Any suggestions?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mahomed wrote:

How to get faster Internet speeds on my older PC

@I ran a Rogers speed test  on my faster PC (Intel Core i7-2670QM @ 2.20GHz) and able to get 945 Mbps on the Rogers Gigabit service.  On my older PC (Intel Core2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.50GHz with 4 GB ram and 256 GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD), I can't seem to get back 645 Mbps.  I tried to do a file transfer between systems and can get around 121 MBps to 125 MBps so I know the network card can handle gigabit. 

I also removed the Antivirus and using Windows Defender so I know nothing else Is the bottleneck. I know that 645 Mbps is decent speed but would like to get the max speed from the Internet connection if possible.

Any suggestions?

@mahomed

The 4GB of Ram may be a bottle neck, how many programs are open when you run the speed tests? Also have you tried different web browsers? My work laptop has similar specs and struggles doing the speed tests too.

@gp-se

I turned off my Samsung SSD software and some scanner software running in the background.  The system is using 30% of the ram at idle.

I just tried Chrome and seem to max out around 655 Mbps.  I will leave it be as this is still very fast speed.  I laugh when I think that I used to have Teksavvy 25/2 internet package for years and now I am complaining about 655 Mbps.  How times have changed.

I Plan to Stick Around

We still need to get to the bottom of it, as so many ppl with older PCs and laptops are affected for no explained reason. I've a similar issue, stack at 650Mbps with one PC, tried several PCIe ethernet cards, direct modem wired connection. Much better speed on other PCs. I tried TCP Optimizer, uninstalled Traffic Monitors and similar programs from PC, got fast A/V, and was able to increase speed from 150Mbps to 650Mbps in Win 10. But not above that despite CPU at Rogers speed test loaded at 75%, and RAM at 50%, including flash or HTML5 speed server WebUI overhead.

Looking for network specific Performance Analysis tools that would reveal where on the PC the bottleneck is? Any specialized forums discuss that? It might be the older adapters use drivers designed for earlier OS versions and having certain optimizations not valid anymore in Win 10. It might be how the adapters offload calcs, which decreases CPU load at high speeds but may increase latency a bit. What tools network pros are using to find bottlenecks?