Sick and tired of Rogers home Internet dropping every half 'n hour

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Sick and tired of Rogers home Internet dropping every half 'n hour

Just for the heck of it, can you log into your modem and copy and paste the DOCSIS WAN Signal to noise ratios, signal levels and channel numbers for both the downstream and upstream signals.  Do that for when your internet is up and running and then when the internet goes down, do it again. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@shum99 wrote:

Yes, when I say re-plug the cable, I mean the cable into the modem. Power off the modem doesn't help at all. I don't need to power off, just take off the cable and put back. Sometimes, just screw it looser or tighter then the signal is back. Since both the new modem and old modem behave same, I don't think it is the modem issue. And I have changed to new cable with new split and it is still same. I doubt it is the cable itself. At night, it can stay till 3-4 hours (9pm - 12pm) and then drops at the midnight. Rogers told me the whole street is fine. Then it must be my house. I didn't change any configuration for a long time. Can't be my settings' problem.Having a slow constant DSL internet is better than on/off all day long.

I didn't try to swape the cable from the modem to the PC. Can I plug the cable right into the laptop or PC? I didn't know that.

Another technician will come over tomorrow and I will have him sit till my internet goes down.

If, all that you are doing, is removing the cable connection from the wall to the modem... that is forcing it to re-establish a connection... its very unlikely a modem issue directly.. and more signal/what is getting to that box.

As datalink sugested... showing the modem channels when its up/down.. may show that its not being able to keep those channels bonded/in communication.

It might still be an overall street issue, etc.. not necessarily just your house.. it just doesnt become evident until under a certain load, etc.

If it was YOU that put a splitter in, etc.. that could be part of it.. as not all splitters are at the right ratings for the signal, etc.

Hopefully the next tech, can figure it out.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

NEVER had connectivity issues until recently (last 3-4 months).

Your theories are sound...something has changed.

Switching out the modem hasn't rectified the issue.

Step two is to contact them directly.

I'm not looking forward to that call.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Personally I wouldn't call them until your internet service has failed.  At that point, if tech support can't communicate with or manage the modem, that at least proves to some degree that a problem exists.  It could be the cable leading to your house, or it could be something further upstream.  It can be extremely difficult to track down an intermittant problem, so, troubleshooting with tech support at the right moment is important.  Having tech support or an onsite tech look at everything when all is okay doesn't do much to solve the problem and probably adds to your frustration with the situation.  Do you happen to have a Rogers home phone or cable tv, and if so, what happens to the phone or tv when the internet service goes down?

If you log into your modem and look at the DOCSIS WAN signal levels and signal to noise ratios, you should see, on the Downstream channels, 0 dBmV for received signal strength and 40 dB for signal to noise ratios.  On the upstream channels, you should see a signal strength of approx 37 to 40 dBmV.  I am still interested in seeing that data for your modem for all channels, just to see what the numbers look like, normally and when the internet service fails.  That will also tell us if there is a channel bonding problem. 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you guys for the replies. I have been trying all different combinations tonight to figure out the problem without luck. The weird thing is if I move the modem to downstairs living room with the tv cable in, the lights are always solid even when the internet dropped. It becomes more frequently now, like 10 minutes. I have to write everything first and then post it here when Internet is on.

I have rogers tv as well. TV is always fine even when Internet dropped. I am exhausted. I will post my connectivity data tmr. If the tech can't figure it out tmr, I will go for bell. I know bell doesn't share bandwidth with neighbours and has its own cables. But I have contract with Rogers, not sure if I get penalty for this situation.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

TV, phone and net while come in on the same cable, are on different frequencies, so one can be effected and not the other.

That you get different results in a different outlet, almost makes me really think its a signal related.
Not enough or too much signal can effect things. (Eg putting off a wall connection which has a cable power booster off of it)

A 'shared' connection is not your issue here. Now a days, with the d3 modems and especially with the up to 24 channels, congestion should be non existent.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@shum99 wrote:

I have rogers tv as well. TV is always fine even when Internet dropped. I am exhausted. I will post my connectivity data tmr. If the tech can't figure it out tmr, I will go for bell. I know bell doesn't share bandwidth with neighbours and has its own cables. But I have contract with Rogers, not sure if I get penalty for this situation.

That makes me laugh. Bell may have its own cables, but DSL traditionally has been extremely sensitive to i) cable length, and ii) cable quality. And if either is bad, it can't be fixed.

Then again, maybe I am still unimpressed that 15 years ago, when the DSL at my parents' house started getting flakier as the weather got warmer, Bell literally said 'your distance to the CO is too high, we can't fix this, go and sign up with Rogers.'

Then my aunt had DSL a few years later in downtown Montreal, it worked fine. She moves to a smaller town, Bell tells her it's available, but it was ridiculously moody (and slow when working). My late uncle called up Cogeco and basically begged to be the first house connected when they finally launched cable Internet in that area...

At least with Rogers, I have never heard of a physical plant problem that was unfixable. Yes, it may take a bit of aggravation to get the big red Rogers vans (rather than the subcontractors) to turn up, but once they do, the problem eventually gets fixed.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Just an update. Issue seems to be fixed. This morning my internet was totally gone regardless what I did which made the issue obvious to detect. This tech is good. We checked everything line by line, room by room. He replaced everything that could lead to the problem. Then.... Modem started be on and off again...finally, he traced down to the box outside of my house. The signal is always good whenever he measured it but inside it kept dropping. Finally he replaced the connector on that cable outside of the house and it works so far so good. My guess is whenever he put the cable into his machine to measure it is like my re-plug my modem which made it work a few minutes. Any movement around that cable made the difference. The only thing still mysterious to me is no one ever opened that box before and it is a new house just 2 years and how could the connector broken so soon? Thank you guys for all the replies. I really appreciate.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Excessive moisture in the air, corroded it early.?
More than likely, could have been a spike of power across the line, fried it.

The one out there, is usually grounded to the elec box, so if it got hit it wouldn't likely have traveled inside the house.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I've been having issues over the past month and they've only been getting worse. Constantly the connection will drop/go off and on, off and on, off and on. 

I took my SMC modem/router into Rogers this past weekend and they gave me a new one (a Cisco). But that didn't do anything. 

It's been getting worse every few days. It's come to the point where the Wi-Fi doesn't work AT ALL during the day. Then, up until aroud 3-4pm in the afternoon it might work. But only for 20-30 minutes if I'm lucky. Then it will stop working for another half hour to an hour. This goes on late into the night.. But by midnight it's working flawlessly! Makes no sense and it's beyond frustrating. I should point out that I'm the only one in the house using the internet, with the occasional connection from someone else (friend or family member). 

What could possibly be the problem!?