cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup XB7 (Gen 2)

os3rules
I plan to stick around

Hi All,

I just got a XB7 router and I want to set it up correctly.  I have not yet hooked it up and I don't plan to until I can figure out whether it will work for me or not.

Firstly, can I change the Private LAN base address?  From what I have read the XB7 used 10.0.0.xxx while my network is using 192.168.2.xxx.  I also have a large number of devices with static IP addresses so it would be difficult to change everything.

Secondly, I have heard that port forwarding is a bit of a bear using the new modem and the APP.  I have a bunch of ports forwarded to my servers so this might be a problem.  I also read the some of the user control for doing this has been removed - true?  And that the "cloud" based function of the APP is slow so changes can take a long time to come into effect.

Thirdly, does this modem support DHCP reservations?  I have some devices that I can assign static IP addresses to but I would like to.  Currently, every time there is a power outage I am not sure whether these devices will have the same IP address, and when they change it causes problems.

Lastly, would using bridge mode with my own router resolve this issues?  I would rather bear that cost than have to change everything in my network.

Thanks for your attention.

**Labels Added**

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Setup XB7 (Gen 2)

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

1. Yes you can change the private IP from 10.0.0.x to 192.168.x.x 

2. Sorry I don't know about the port forwarding on the App. Yes I hear it is not friendly

3. Set the IP range to a smaller range and you reserved IPs outside of that 192.168.2.x range.. So DHCP range 192.168.2.2 to 192.168.2.100 and your reserved IPs to 192.168.2.101 and higher. As long as your default gateway is the XB7 ip your will be ok

4. you can also bridge it and use your own router for better control including reserving IP by mac, port forwarding, and DNS override. (XB7 will not allow you to change default DNS)

You you also have Ignite TV? if so then just name your Wifi same as what you had in the XB7 before bridging and split your 2.4 and 5g Wifi by naming them differently. Some older Wifi devices have a hard time connecting when using Wifi band steering.

Good Luck.

PS: Have a XB7 bridged with my own router and ignite TV, local LAN is 192.168.1.x

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@os3rules wrote:

Hi All,

I just got a XB7 router and I want to set it up correctly.  I have not yet hooked it up and I don't plan to until I can figure out whether it will work for me or not.

Firstly, can I change the Private LAN base address?  From what I have read the XB7 used 10.0.0.xxx while my network is using 192.168.2.xxx.  I also have a large number of devices with static IP addresses so it would be difficult to change everything.

Yes.  You do this by editing your "Local IP Network" settings and changing the "IP Address (IPv4)" to 192.168.2.1

The easiest way to do this is using your web browser after you perform the initial configuration to bring your Gateway online.

Secondly, I have heard that port forwarding is a bit of a bear using the new modem and the APP.  I have a bunch of ports forwarded to my servers so this might be a problem.  I also read the some of the user control for doing this has been removed - true?  And that the "cloud" based function of the APP is slow so changes can take a long time to come into effect.

Yes, you need to use the Ignite HomeConnect app (it used to be called the Ignite WiFi Hub app) to configure port forwarding.  See the FAQ for more information.  Numerous people have also reported problems getting Port Forwarding to work over the last few years, in several threads, especially with some more complex configurations.  If you should run into any difficulties, please feel free to post here in the Forums and we will do our best to help.

Thirdly, does this modem support DHCP reservations?  I have some devices that I can assign static IP addresses to but I would like to.  Currently, every time there is a power outage I am not sure whether these devices will have the same IP address, and when they change it causes problems.

Yes, it does, and it's fairly straightforward to configure reserved IP addresses.  Again, it's easiest to do this using your web browser.  Log into the gateway and go to "Connected Devices > Devices"

You can also configure static IP addresses.  However, the problem with doing so is that those devices will almost certainly NOT appear in the Connected Devices list, and that will prevent you from configuring Port Forwarding and will (I think) also prevent the Port Forward from being active if the gateway does not see the device online.  This should not be a problem if the device is assigned a reserved IP address through DHCP.

Lastly, would using bridge mode with my own router resolve this issues?  I would rather bear that cost than have to change everything in my network.

Yes, that is also an option that some have had to resort to.  However, if you also have Ignite TV, it will probably run fine over your own network gear, with the Ignite Gateway in Bridge Mode... but Rogers will not provide any official support for that configuration.

os3rules
I plan to stick around

Thanks very much for this information.  I'm sure that it will help with my setup.

I must clarify what I mean by DHCP reservation.  Currently I have a number of devices (servers, cameras, etc.) that I have assigned static IP addresses to.  These are devices that I can "sign on" to and manually modify.

I also have a number of devices that I cannot assign an IP address to; some cameras, TV's, etc. because they just don't allow it.  The cameras, for example, can change IP address after a power failure.  The software that I use to monitor the cameras look for a specific IP to access the camera.  When a new IP address is assigned I need to a) find the new IP address, and b) make changes to the monitor program.

DHCP reservation, as I understand it, sets a specific IP address in the DHCP range of the router to a specific MAC address, say - the address of one of the cameras.  That way the camera keeps the same IP even though it is not the same as a "static" IP.

Question is, can I do this with the new modem?  I know some routers (even cheap ones) have this ability.

os3rules
I plan to stick around

Thanks Biollw.  That is almost exactly what my current cofig is - DHCP from 192.168.2.10 to 192.168.2.100 with my servers using static IP addresses below 10.

I don't have Ignite TV - I cut that cable a long time ago and haven't looked back since.  I actually run an antenna where I get about 60 over-the-air channels.

You say I can't change the DNS - what about if I have a different DNS in my computers' LAN setup?  Will the router use that DNS or it's own?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@os3rules wrote:

DHCP reservation, as I understand it, sets a specific IP address in the DHCP range of the router to a specific MAC address, say - the address of one of the cameras.  That way the camera keeps the same IP even though it is not the same as a "static" IP.

Question is, can I do this with the new modem?  I know some routers (even cheap ones) have this ability.

Yes, you can do this with the new modem.  When configuring the reserved IP address, you enter the Hostname, MAC address and IPv4 address.  When that device connects to the network and does a DHCP Request, it will get the IP address that you configured.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@os3rules wrote:

You say I can't change the DNS - what about if I have a different DNS in my computers' LAN setup?  Will the router use that DNS or it's own?

You can still configure an alternate DNS server in your computers.  That will still work as long as you do not enable Parental Controls or Advanced Security in the Ignite Gateway.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@os3rules wrote:

Thanks Biollw.  That is almost exactly what my current cofig is - DHCP from 192.168.2.10 to 192.168.2.100 with my servers using static IP addresses below 10.

Do you plan to configure Port Forwarding to any of these systems?  If so, that will be a problem.  With static IP addresses, the gateway probably will not "see" them or display them in the list of connected devices, and they will not show up in the app when you try to configure Port Forwarding.

os3rules
I plan to stick around

Actually, I do plan to use port forwarding on one of these computers which is a web server.  This system has a static IP address outside the DHCP range.  The setup works fine with the current modem (the Hitron one).  I usually just need to forward port 80 on this machine (HTTP).  Hopefully this will work the same on the XB7 modem.  Looking at the port forwarding on that modem it looks like only computers with fixed IP addresses have port forwarded currently.

os3rules
I plan to stick around

Hi,

I just updated to the new router and most everything is ok.  Remote desktop, home assistant, security cameras, PLEX, and more are all working fine.

Only thing not working is my web server (Apache - a really old one).  In the old router setup I had port 80 forwarded to the machine running the server, but I can't seem to figure that out on this new one - it assigns a IP address at random.  Is there a way that I can assign the port to a specific IP address?  If not, how do I get access to my web server?

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation