Setting up mail server (MX records) to send email to external addresses (ie: gmail)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Setting up mail server (MX records) to send email to external addresses (ie: gmail)

Hi there,

I just setup smartermail at home and now need to setup my MX records and DNS to allow me to send email from the mail server to external recipients as per below. Does anybody have instructions on how to do so?

Configure DNS for the Domain

There are three major things to set up on your DNS server for each site you add to SmarterMail. How you set these up is dependant on who hosts your DNS, and what DNS software is used. Check your DNS server documentation for instructions on how to set up the following records (replace example.com with the proper domain name).

Also, please bear in mind that your DNS may need to be set up differently. This is only a guideline that is recommended for most installations.

WebMail URL - Add an A or CNAME record for mail.example.com that points to the IP address of the webmail interface. This will allow users of that domain to access the webmail by typing in http://mail.example.com or http://mail.example.com:9998 in their web browser (depending on whether you use the included web server or IIS).

Mail Pointer - Add an MX record for example.com that points to the IP address that you assigned when adding the domain to SmarterMail. This will allow other email servers to locate your mail server.

Reverse DNS Record - Add a reverse DNS record for IP addresses assigned on the server to provide extra assurance to other mail servers. Also, it is recommended that the primary IP address of the server also have a reverse DNS record.

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Setting up mail server (MX records) to send email to external addresses (ie: gmail)

The issue has been resolved by Rogers support. All they required is the hostname of my mail server and made modifications to the mail flow. All is working now.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Setting up mail server (MX records) to send email to external addresses (ie: gmail)

Hello @supadups1,

Welcome the Community Forums.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe in order to update your MX and DNS records, you'd have to do it via your Registrar. 

However, this isn't my expertise, so I'll tag in some of Resident Experts who may be able to further assist you with this.  Community, also feel free to chime in :).

@Gdkitty @VivienM @Datalink

Cheers,

RogersCilio

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@RogersCilio wrote:

Hello @supadups1,

Welcome the Community Forums.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe in order to update your MX and DNS records, you'd have to do it via your Registrar. 

However, this isn't my expertise, so I'll tag in some of Resident Experts who may be able to further assist you with this.  Community, also feel free to chime in :).

@Gdkitty @VivienM

Cheers,

RogersCilio

Yup, that's mostly right. DNS set up is done through your DNS provider for the domain; nowadays, for most people, the registrar also provides DNS. This is different from how it used to be - in the old days, you gave your DNS provider's servers' name to your registrar and that was it. 

Getting inbound email working is mostly a function of getting that DNS stuff right. And then, to get outbound working, you'll need some work around for the fact that Rogers IIRC blocks outbound port 25 to try and cut down on malicious emails... 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you both for the prompt response. Since I am new to this who would be the appropriate resource(s)/team(s) to engage? I opened up a support case and was told by the support resource that adding the hostname of the mail server to my MX records would resolve the issue. I currently have smartermail installed and running on a Windows 2008 R2 virtual machine (VMWare workstation 9). Is someone available in support, etc to walk me through the process?

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@supadups1 wrote:

Thank you both for the prompt response. Since I am new to this who would be the appropriate resource(s)/team(s) to engage? I opened up a support case and was told by the support resource that adding the hostname of the mail server to my MX records would resolve the issue. I currently have smartermail installed and running on a Windows 2008 R2 virtual machine (VMWare workstation 9). Is someone available in support, etc to walk me through the process?

Quite bluntly, setting up email servers is way outside the scope of the support Rogers or any other residential/small business provider can offer. Trying to open support cases with the vendor of your email software may get you somewhere (or may get you false diagnoses).

In this particular case, if you are having issues emailing outbound from your mail server, that's caused by Rogers blocking outbound port 25. You basically will need a commercial outbound SMTP relaying service...or in theory you can relay through Rogers Yahoo's SMTP but that will be very tricky to set up due to their anti-spam measures.

Honestly, though, I think you have two options:

1) Spend hours and hours reading about how this stuff works, and then try and look for wrinkles specific to your setup. (e.g. most documentation on mail servers will assume you are using a serious business connection that does not block relevant ports. So you would need to educate yourself about the implications of port blocking and practical workarounds for that separately...)

2) Hire some kind of consultant with the expertise to do this.

(or 3) give up on running your own mail server and sign up for something like Office 365, Google Apps, etc.)

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

The issue has been resolved by Rogers support. All they required is the hostname of my mail server and made modifications to the mail flow. All is working now.

View solution in original post