Setting up a Hitron CGN3 - Username, SSID and Passphrase issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Setting up a Hitron CGN3 - Username, SSID and Passphrase issues

I have just moved from a legacy internet service to an Ignite one and the modem swap provided a CGN3 (dual band). 

In setting it up I discovered a couple of anomalies and thought I would share them. I have got around each of them but thought a thread might help someone else.

Username: I have been unable to change the username from cusadmin. On the screen it shows a dropdown list of that one only and I cannot select the text or type in anything new. Not a major issue, but odd.

SSID: I was hoping to create a "replacement" wireless network from my old one that was running on DD-WRT in a TP-Link router. My SSID included "2.4" to distinguish it from the "5.0" that I was hoping to add! There were other letters ahead of the "2.4" (the quotes were not part of it). Hitron does not seem to like the "." and told me there were invalid characters in the SSID. Removing the period/fullstop solved that

Passphrase: Using the available WPA2 with AES my old network passphrase included some spaces. The Hitron does not allow the spaces. Removing them fixed that. There should not be any restriction on "space". Some special characters are acceptable for the Hitron and some are not. Brackets, slash seemed to be OK but space and double quote were taboo.

Otherwise I seem to be up and running

Rick 

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Setting up a Hitron CGN3 - Username, SSID and Passphrase issues

Yup, the Hitron modems, for some reason have their own set of rules as to what character is acceptable and what isn't, unlike the majority of modems and routers that will accept everything.  Annoying, but one can work around it.  It should be considered as a security issue as it limits the number of characters that can be used in either case, making an attack on the wifi side simpler to carry out.  Still not easy, but not as difficult as having to deal with the whole character set.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It wouldnt be the first one that i have seen that didnt allow a space.
I think it was on this forum even, with one of the older rogers one, where it wasnt even the router that it didnt work on, it was on the PC side.
User has a space in the password.. worked on all devices but one.
Removed space? Worked fine.

As for the username.. there is no way to set another user name.  CUSADMIN (and the rogers admin logins) are the only names.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks GdKitty - I suspected that the username could not be changed. It is always a shame when the available "Help" text gives the impression  Smiley Indifferent that you can change something

"You can Change your username and password,just mso user can change all user's username and password!" 

So it appears as though one should be able to change one's own username and password. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If they were running STOCK and every feature was open, etc.. sure you probably could.

But the MSO login (rogers one) has a section where they can enable/disable just about any feature on the modem from us doing them or not.

On one of the older ones.. the SMC i think? I used to have an MSO login >.>

And there was a TON of stuff more available there.

Its unfortunately we do not have access to it.

I've Been Here Awhile

can i use Chinese characters for ssid on hitron CGN3AMR router?

Hello, @policeman0077

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for posting the interesting query in the Community. Have you tried adding the Chinese characters? Most likely you will get an error message that special characters are not supported, has anyone in the Community successfully used special characters in the SSID?

Thanks,

RogersMoin

I've Been Here Awhile

I tired chinese but and saved the changes but the router just went back to the previous setting