Sending emails from my own domain

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Sending emails from my own domain

I have my own domain through EasyDNS.  I have forwarding set up so that email from <me>@<mydomain>.com are automatically forwarded to my Rogers account (I don't have a mailbox with EasyDNS - just email forwarding).  When I respond to those emails I'd like them to show up the the recipient as being from <me>@<mydomain>.com instead of from my Rogers email account.  How can I set things up so that works?  The Rogers server rejects messages if I just change the email setting in the properties because it doesn't match the email accounts I have with Rogers.

Is there a way to do this?  I'm using Outlook (2007?) as the email client.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Sending emails from my own domain

About only thing that rogers looks at, is the incomming/outgoing for the addresses.  So in that part of the settings, you will have to keep your rogers email address there.

But in the initial part of the setup, where it shows your display name and email, you SHOULD be able to change that part and be able to send fine, as it doesnt authenticate off that part.. its for display only.

By default, most receiving email programs, should use this to reply to, etc..
The only thing is if you went into the VIEW SOURCE, they may see it comming from your XYZ@rogers.com address.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

most hosting providers which host your domain name give you a mailbox already.  its highly recommended to setup the email directly with the domain and dont bother with the rogers one,  after all, the rogers one has nothing to do with your domain.   you will need to get the mail server settings for incoming and outgoing from the domain hosting provier, usually they give you a C Panel to log into and you can manage the settings and even the mailboxes from there.  its highly recommended to do this; often cheaper hosting providers cut corners and do not do this so if u have one of those you might be sol.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Pauly, just because someone has a registered domain doesn't mean that they always have hosting & therefore the capability for the email host there. 🙂

Myself for example. I have two hosted domain names... and domain names ONLY. They point to hosts elsewhere (one on my personal server, one elsewhere). These ones like the OP, have the option for forwarded email address, but do not provide the hosting for it at all

I've Been Here Awhile

GDKitty is exactly right.  The whole point of having the domain separate from any hosting is so I have the freedom to move the hosting around easily and just redirect the domain to wherever I happen to be.  I've migrated my website between a few different providers already and this scheme lets me establish a new hosting platform, bring it up, test it, and then just redirect my domain without having to retire the old one ahead of time.

The only option I saw in Outlook 2007 was the ability to specify a different reply address.  I swear I did this before (before my computer crashed and I had to set everything up again).  I seem to remember there was something I had to do on the Rogers side to validate that I was the owner of that email address (i.e. they sent a message that I had to reply to verify that I was the owner) so that they'd allow that email to be used.  But I can't find how I did it before now.

If anyone else has any ideas please feel free to forward them along.  Otherwise I'll have to find some time to give tech support a call to see what my options are.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Been a while since i have done outlook & pop (unfortnately, i normaly deal with exchange on outlook.. and primarily lotus notes).

Just opened my Outlook 2013 at home.

Tried to add a new account.

They must have changed it at some point.. i am sure you could set it otherwise before... but you are right, the email in the main account setting, does need to be set to your rogers one.

While the replyto, will work, when they hit reply, it will send it to your other address... generaly people will be able to see your rogers address.

Its worth a call, and see if they can do anything, but may not be able to. 
I am guessing, this is likely there on PURPOSE.. to help stop SPAM from being sent from rogers accounts... otherwise it would be very easy for say me to steal your login info, they put a false email on it, and away we go, much harder to trace.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks.  I'm figuring the same thing.  I know I was able to do it before without too much trouble and it does seem to be different.  So I'm also guessing this was intentional.  I'll see what I can come up with.  I took a look at my current plan and I do have a few mailboxes from EasyDNS so that may serve as a temporary solution.  I was hoping to have a little more flexibility on where my email actually lives through (as I do with my website).

Thanks for the support.  I appreciate the quick responses.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No problem!

Good luck! let us know how it goes.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I used to do this before I dump Rogers mail and went to Gmail for everything (even third party domains). I just checked and it's still possible although you have to go through the most retarded way Rogers could have thought of.

Go to mail.rogers.com and it will send you to Yahoo. Click the Mail login in the top right corner. Log in there with your @rogers.com address. From there choose Options. On the left hand side under Advanced Options is Mail Accounts. Click Add and enter a name for it and then the full address you want to send out as. Click next, and then Skip.

Now in outlook when you change the outgoing e-mail address enter that address you want to send out as, and under advanced settings, SMTP, make sure you enable authentication and use the @rogers.com address you did all the other crap with.

**UPDATE**

Hey everyone, 

Here are some additional links to help with the setup process of verifying a third party email address to send through the rogers server, and also a quick setup guide for Outlook 2007.

Set Up Third Party Email in Rogers Yahoo! Webmail

Modify Third Party Email Account Settings in Microsoft Outlook 2007

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Oh really? Never figured to look there.
Must validate against that.

Worth a shot to try!