cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second DOCSIS 3.1 Modem being released mid-2017?

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

I was reading up on Rogers' Q4 2016 results, which were released on Janurary 26, and I happened to catch my eye on to something that points to a release of a SECOND DOCSIS 3.1 modem:

"Our adoption of the X1 platform not only includes access to the most advanced IPTV solution, but also to Comcast’s state-of-the-art customer premise equipment, including advanced DOCSIS 3.1 Wi-Fi gateways, Wi-Fi extenders, and wireless set-top boxes as well as the ability to send video to other third party companion devices (such as tablets and smartphones).

By mid-2017, Rogers plans to bring its customers the new advanced DOCSIS 3.1 Wi-Fi gateway, which is capable of delivering up to nine gigabits per second over Wi-Fi within the home, supports voice, home monitoring, and automation applications, and can act as the core in-home gateway for video and data applications."

Sounds promising! Smiley Happy

***Edited Labels***

87 REPLIES 87

Re: Second DOCSIS 3.1 Modem being released mid-2017?

BS
I'm a senior advisor

Yes, now the Internet side of things, we are in the dark.  This was the one beta process that was well informed and kept us all up to date on where things were going.

Hope he is doing great things in his new job.

Bruce

prince7272
I plan to stick around

I also wonder about the Docsis 3.1 Full duplex.  

Rogers has to understand that the upload speeds are really low.

With the normal Docsis 3.1 the max theoritical upload can be 1 to 2 Gbits and the download 10 Gbits

while in Docsis 3.1 Full Duplex the max download/upload can be 10Gbits.

I have the 500 where the upload is only 20Mbits and I don't even get that.

Does anyone know when Rogers is planing to increase the upload speeds and transition to 

Docsis 3.1 Full Duplex for symetrical speeds?

mcsandy
I plan to stick around

@prince7272

From what has been said on the forums and from the rogers CEO/CFO, its looking like docsis 3.1 on the upload later this year possibly. *obviously nothing guaranteed*

Full duplex was quoted 12-18 months from now so I wouldn't be getting too excited about it yet.

They are still working on getting docsis 3.1 on the downstream fully working properly before they even get into upstream.

prince7272
I plan to stick around
Hopefully Rogers moves fast enough this year for the upload because Bell is already moving too fast.
Today Bell is installing Fiber optics to my appartment and i am in Scarborough.
Let's see
Topic Stats