Second DOCSIS 3.1 Modem being released mid-2017?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Second DOCSIS 3.1 Modem being released mid-2017?

Docsis 3.1 upstream should be rolling out later this year, date TBD.  The CODA-4582 should support that.  Don't know if it will require a firmware update or not, or if its just a matter of 3.1 upstream being enabled at the CMTS and in the modems.   Fwiw, NBN Australia is supposed to be field trialing 3.1 upstream right now, for larger deployment later this year.  I haven't seen any news on the results to date. 

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Datalink

I know that they announced D3.1 in 2017 and then pushed it to Q 2018, and now it's sometimes in 2018.

However, I think it won't be until Mid to Late 2019, it involves a lot of work and I would be very surprised to see it happening this year.

I've Been Here Awhile

Someone from rogers told me not too long ago that a new modem should be released in March 2018...

We are in March now...So does anyone have any idea about this?

Hello @MF1408,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! =)

I know how important it is to have the most up-to-date hardware for your service especially when it's regarding your Internet.

At this time, we do not have any updates regarding a second DOCSIS 3.1 modem but we will keep the Community updated once we have more information on this.

Cheers,

RogersTony

I'm hoping OFDMA comes soon enough. Bell is putting much more pressure by upgrading residential customers in different areas to symmetrical speeds. For instance, gigabit users have been upgraded from 100 upload to 1Gbps for free. 

Meanwhile, we are still stuck with 30Mbps upload and lots of node congestion. Smiley Sad

Starting this year Bell will also be starting to deploy FTTH to users in municipalities surrounding the GTA. Work has definitely started in Vaughan as I spotted crews deploying conduits to the neighborhoods in close proximity to the vivanext program.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Also if you go to new subdivisions from last few years in GTA and you find the neighbourhoods provisioned already right to the house and other area they have the conduits installed providing 150 down on ADSL2 and just waiting for them to core the cable runs. In East GTA they completed the runs to every corner and next step is to pus down the streets to the homes. The race is on for sure.
I'm a Regular

Bell is also been digging and installing new cables since last fall in our north york Donmills and leith hill area can’t wait till it’s done. We are tired of congestion issues Rogers.
Highlighted

The race is definitely ON, and FTTH will always beat FTTN. Hopefully Rogers will consider this in a near future before Bell is getting too far ahead.

I'm a Senior Advisor

My brother's area in Agincourt near Brimley, they laid the Fibre connections down about a year ago.  Also almost all the multi unit complexes in that same area have all been provisioned with Fibre - goes up the outside walls in conduits, and then they drill in through the outside wall into each unit.

And now the latest advertising by Rogers is making the claim that you are connected by WIFI throughout your home. Guess that is the response to the the blue company with the Mesh Home WIFI.  Notice they have also started profiling Ignite Internet as the name again, probably to make it consistent with the new moniker Ignite TV.

As the changes come, it will be up to the customer to be very careful to understand just what they are being sold and costs.

With the race comes somewhat difficult to understand advertising claims (we still hear how the copper Telephone is better than the Home Phone from Rogers to protect us from power failures - learned that one the hard way recently that claim is still valid - my phone modem got unplugged by accident, 5 hours later, we had no phone).

For me, it will still come down to cost and my needs, but for those who want the fastest, most stable, the race and claims are on full steam ahead.

Bruce

I've Been Here Awhile

When will Docsis 3.1 upstream be available? Also is there a new modem in the pipeline?