Second DOCSIS 3.1 Modem being released mid-2017?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Second DOCSIS 3.1 Modem being released mid-2017?

If this X1 platform is the exact same as Comcast platform then it entirely uses iptv. So the extra bandwidth they are freeing up would be needed. Unless it's going to be some kind of hybrid version. Only time will tell
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Datalink

Yeah I won't quote you on that one, but yeah it should be 500 nodes/home.  I'm really eager to know when OFDMA will be released so hopefully @RogersBob will update us on the status on that.

Latest reply was from @RogersDave in November,  at that time he said Q1 2018 but perhaps @RogersBob have a more accurate date of the D3.1 Upload Rollout?

I'm a Senior Advisor

This presentation makes sense along with the notification for Q4 that they are going to put TV, Internet, Phone, Home Security and Business (small I believe) under one reporting line, as that would then put their operating costs under one umbrella, breaking out where the income is coming from pooled all together under that one expense category for the transmission system.

So, more customers, lower cost per customer, will that allow them to be more competitive on price?  Definitely will really justify them to push as much bundled services as possible and competitively hopefully lower cost than the competitors.  One can hope. Smiley LOL

And yes, let's do hope that with the push that they don't try to just paper over old product creating a very complex product mix, with the risks of compatibility.  By the way, Comcast/XFinity is trying to do the same in the U.S. on their own networks, but there are so many different set top boxes and modems in their system that it is not moving fast.  Rogers may actually be in a better position from the sound of things, as long as they don't try to cut corners to expedite getting it out there.

All sounds promising, and as I mentioned in  another post, they seem to be on target with the TV side of things, other than some unexpected glitches they are working around, it sounds like the network side is well on its way to bring everything under a pure IP Fiber based backbone and to the neighborhood and taking best advantage of the last mile of Coax.

Will be interesting to see - my only hope is that it rolls in at a price I can handle, because it is not the only technology and service mix out there, but that is a completely different discussion, which will probably proceed for me before this even comes available.

New technology is neat, but my budget takes priority.

Bruce

With regards to the invest Rogers is putting into their network for cable, they have mentioned in their analyst call that they are continuing node segmentation to pull fibre deeper, AND this year, they will begin to migrate to a PON (passive optical network) architecture in order to prepare th themselves for FDX DOCSIS. The speaker did note that it is a NODE by NODE investment, so this will be a slow gradual process. They will focus on upgrading neighbourhoods first with greater data demands. This is inline with what Dave previously  has said about the potential for a midsplit on the upstream.

I'm a Regular

Once the upload is up and running on 3.1 would that benefit us gamers ? will it lower latency?

@lethalsniper It will help for sure.

I'm a Regular

Any idea when it’s being released?
I Plan to Stick Around

I hope they have some type of beta program because I want to be part of it!

I'm a Regular

When is the D3.1 Upload Rollout date ? Will the coda modem support it @RogersDave @Datalink