Second DOCSIS 3.1 Modem being released mid-2017?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Second DOCSIS 3.1 Modem being released mid-2017?

Interesting concept - this is basically mesh WIFI, - available from various companies such as Link sys, Google, and most other major players.  Plume was one of the earliest players.

What isn't clear is the optimization and impact of interference that is created as we have more signals within close proximity of each other - the router can smart monitor and control what is happening within its own network, but what about the neighbors.  It works well in corportate settings, but the locations are carefully optimized during setup and how close other networks are.

I see it as a solution, I basically have a partial mesh in place for years with a router and two access points, and I had issues with my neighbours, but it did improve my own network, but certain places conflicted.

Most corporate environments do not build their mesh over WIFI, they do it via ethernet to access point, and then segment for optimization for certain departments and greatest demands - plume is doing that, but it is WIFI connected.

Technology is changing so fast, and the risk is that what is a great technology on the higher end, gets dropped into the low end, plug and play without site survey and location optimization, much like the reality of our gateways - which serve two key purposes now - Internet and many connections, along with IPTV, security systems, and the challenge for the user is getting it to all work to optimum.  I see Xfinity's announcement as a move towards recognizing the need for more distributed access points in the house, but do they go plug and play leaving the home owner to flounder to optimize where to plug them in, or do they come in and set it up. Me personally, if I had a large house, I would hire someone to come in and set up the best network for my home and have them support it.

Bruce

Highlighted
Network Architect
Network Architect

@Mythen wrote:

Hi guys;  

I read all your posts and would like to clarify a couple of things.  The X1 Cloud DVR actually does the recording right on the box and then uploads recordings to "the Cloud"  Then you  can login online and watch your recorded show from anywhere.

This is called a hybrid QAM-IP model and is what Comcast uses. They have in the home a XG2 device which acts as a main PVR with tuner along with companion devices Xid and Xi5 that are IP based over Ethernet or MoCA.

In the "all-IP" version of the solution, Cloud DVR is implemented directly in the cloud and there are no local recording at all because none of the STB have a QAM tuner.

--Dave

I Plan to Stick Around

Can't say for sure if I have ever come across the "all Ip" model. Just the one you call the hybrid
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I know that I am in the minority on this but all I want from Rogers is fast reliable internet service to a demarc point in my house and that point is likely to be the worst place in my house for a WAP since it is in a corner of my basement.  I don't want Rogers to provide my network router/gateway/firewall and I don't want Rogers to provide me with Wifi. I will provide my own prosumer devices to do that - my house is wired with CAT-6 and I will put WAPs in the optimal spots in (or outside) of my house.

So just give me a reliable cable modem and leave it at that.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@wayner92 wrote:

I know that I am in the minority on this but all I want from Rogers is fast reliable internet service to a demarc point in my house and that point is likely to be the worst place in my house for a WAP since it is in a corner of my basement.  I don't want Rogers to provide my network router/gateway/firewall and I don't want Rogers to provide me with Wifi. I will provide my own prosumer devices to do that - my house is wired with CAT-6 and I will put WAPs in the optimal spots in (or outside) of my house.

So just give me a reliable cable modem and leave it at that.

@wayner92

The current Rogers Gateways operate just fine in bridge mode. I like having the Gateway, because for a power user like myself I can set it in Bridge mode and run whatever router/access point I want. But for my parents and friends who aren't technical they can leave it in Gateway mode and everything "just works"

I Plan to Stick Around

I think we now know how it's going to look like:

https://www.fiercecable.com/cable/comcast-begins-national-rollout-d-3-1-gateways

http://booredatwork.com/xfinity-night-introducing-xfi/

"Comcast engineered the device. has commissioned two vendors to create separate versions: Arris will build one using Intel silicone, while Technicolor will manufacture another using Broadcom chips. 

The new gateway will  have a 160 MHz-capable 8x8 Wi-Fi antenna array, Mu-MiMo (Multi-user, Multi-input, Multi-output) technology, and a combination of specialized IoT radios."

The little TV box is Pace PX051AEI Xi5 it seems (http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Xi5-TV-Box/td-p/2860100)

I'm not sure if it's still true, but aside from not being 4K/Ultra HD capable as per comcast's FAQ, it also requires a bigger X1 dvr box (so basically a secondary device), even though comcast calls it a "cloud dvr".

So if rumors are true and Rogers is testing their own software on this hot mess of a set, I could imagine the final result wont be pretty anytime soon.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Interesting, Pace.

Some of the first rogers boxes, pre the SA boxes, were often Pace.
(and were all EOL'd quite a number of years ago)

I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

Interesting, Pace.

Some of the first rogers boxes, pre the SA boxes, were often Pace.
(and were all EOL'd quite a number of years ago)

Yeah I remember having one in 2007 or so, they replaced it with SA later on, then CISCO bought them. I had no idea they are still around. Considering they are also using Plume wifi pods as range extenders, it's going to be one heck of a mix hardware-wise. I just hope rogers is smart-enough not to use their in-house software and just re-brand comcast's for the sake of faster roll-out and updates.

Also, if the part about requiring the actual big box dvr is true (the picture of this ugly beast is in one of the links I posted), then it's kinda defeats the purpose and is still behind competitors' all-wireless implementation, at least on paper.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

From the Q4 2017 financial results, I have dug up some information regarding the future look at how they want to their services to be accessed:

r_outlook18.png

As you can see, Rogers is trying to reduce the number of devices required to access it's services by making them all available through one device: the modem. This means that they want to make all their services available through IP- this is already being seen in the highly anticipated release of their Ignite TV product (formerly called the X1 IPTV product).  With more services being migrated to IP, more internet bandwidth will be freed which will allow them to activate newer channels to be used for the downlink and uplink. 

With regards to network upgrades, Rogers has also stated that they have started upgrading their HFC network in the Q4'17 quarter:

This quarter, we began upgrading our hybrid fibre-coaxial infrastructure with additional fibre deployments and further DOCSIS technology enhancements. These deployments and enhancements will lower the number of homes passed per node and incorporate the latest technologies to help deliver more bandwidth and an even more reliable customer experience.

Rogers is also trying to reduce the number of homes passed per node, meaning that they want to deliver their services to more homes. Upload speeds has been a a major bottleneck for Rogers due to the DOCSIS architecture, however OFDMA should be on the horizon and it's been hinted that Rogers will be offering upload speeds >30Mbps due to this upgrade. 

Ignite TV will also have a "full commercial launch" later this year.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

"This quarter, we began upgrading our hybrid fibre-coaxial infrastructure with additional fibre deployments and further DOCSIS technology enhancements. These deployments and enhancements will lower the number of homes passed per node and incorporate the latest technologies to help deliver more bandwidth and an even more reliable customer experience. "

That reduced node loading has been underway for at least a couple of years now.  I think the target number of homes per node is either 500 or 1000.  I believe its the lower, 500 home number but, don't quote me on that one.