Second DOCSIS 3.1 Modem being released mid-2017?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Second DOCSIS 3.1 Modem being released mid-2017?

Thanks for the useful info. My current modem/router was in need of replacement because of poor Wi-Fi performance so this is funny timing...almost seems like Rogers is causing it, to force the modem switch 😉
I'm Here A Lot

You were correct, I got a CODA-4582U , it looks like a large Apple Airport Extreme/Time Capsule 

"some customers with the CODA-4582, which will operate using DOCSIS 3.1 on the downstream side, experience slow data rates.   Best guess is a signal level or signal to noise ratio issue between the modem and CMTS.  I've never seen that with my 4582, but, others have.  Its not a widespread issue, but, it does happen and its pretty aggravating to resolve."

I haven't ensured others in the household aren't using data, but I just did a speed test and it averaged 289Mbit down / 40Mbit up, which is disheartening...

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Datalink

Can you please give me more info about this issue with slow speeds.

I currently am having this problem with the CODA modem and am working with the Rogers Maintenance team to resolve it for me. If you have some suggestions, I can pass it on to them as they have detected speed issues and are looking at fixing it. Having more information can be very helpful for them to troubleshoot things.

Thanks,

Mahomed
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@irajacobs, can you have a look at the following post?  

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Slow-Internet-Speeds-Check-your-Security-Software/m-p/...

@mahomed has brought up a very good point regarding the antivirus programs slowing the data rates.  

My own thoughts are that new installs for the 4582 probably arrive with IPV6 enabled, and that possibly, the antivirus programs, or router packet scans might be resulting in slow data rates.  Running a speed test with the modem in IPV4 mode only, and another check with the modem in Dual (IPV4 and IPV6) mode with the antivirus disabled just for the speedtest should point out whether there is an issue with IPV6 packet scans causing slow rates, or if the antivirus software is impeding faster data rates for both IPV4 and IPV6 operation.  

There is always the possibility that the DOCSIS 3.1 OFDM channel has an issue with the power levels or the signal to noise ratios.  So, there are a couple of issues to check.  This last item would require a call to tech support as the DOCSIS 3.1 OFDM channel data presented in the user interface isn't correct, but, tech support has access to the correct data.  

I'm making an assumption here that if you were able to run higher data rates with the previous modem, those rates should be seen with this modem, all things being equal.  The IPV6 packet scans and antivirus programs are worth checking on. 

I'm Here A Lot

@Datalink I do not use active antivirus (manual scan occasionally or as-needed), so it wouldn't be that.  I switched the router to IPv4 only mode and ran another speedtest, and still only got 450Mbit down / 50 up, but this is without isolating my connection (others in the household could be using lots of bandwidth) so I can't say anything for certain.  

I'm a Reliable Contributor

It's that time of year again where Rogers releases it's financial results. Nothing too notable, but Rogers did gain 129,000 net additions in it's wireless sector which is the highest it's been in 8 years. 

Other than that, Rogers promoted their upcoming X1 IPTV Platform with a slide in their presentation stating some of the upcoming features and types of CPE that will be launching. The picture of the slide is presented below.

rogers_q3X1.png

I find it interesting that Rogers is promoting the upcoming "solid state wireless set top box" which is the small box circled below. It seems that it will have some space for customers to record their shows, given that it contains an SSD. They are also promoting their CPE to be of "lower cost", but it might be a "lower cost" only if you bundle Internet with TV (given that it is an IPTV platform).

So it  looks like Rogers is going to be ready to launch their X1 platform in Q1 2018, since their CPE are in production.

I Plan to Stick Around

Just read this article today and it reminded me of this thread. 

https://www.cnet.com/products/xfinity-xfi-advanced-gateway/preview/

Highlighted
Network Architect
Network Architect

@RyzenFX wrote:

It seems that it will have some space for customers to record their shows, given that it contains an SSD.

Actually, the slide also mentions something else: "Cloud DVR". The shows are not recorded on the box itself but directly at the head-end. This means that for example swapping a box will not result in loosing all recorded shows.

The "solid state" component is for regular operation of the device.

--Dave

I'm a Senior Advisor

@yyzsam

Thanks for posting the interesting article of where Comcast is going with gateways in their ecosystems.

This portion of the article was of interest and when we see the post on the notice in the financial reports where you will see the phrase "wall to wall coverage", it is nice to see that they are beginning to recognize that no matter how many antennas and technological advances that are put into place, there are inherent limitations with WIFI in the home and that they are acknowledging that if they are going to live up to claims of full coverage in the home.

"And if you have an especially large home, Comcast says it will offer Wi-Fi extender pods later this month to select markets with a full release coming in 2018.e, extenders are going to be necessary  or I would suggest possible not a total reliance on WIFI, but also wired options too."

It is nice to see that Comcast appears to be the first to acknowledge this limitation of WIFI and the need to extend at times. 

It would be nice if Rogers stepped up and recognized this limitation and began to support solutions for extension of coverage within the home, or at least come right out and say "we do not support troubleshooting any resolutions to limited WIFI coverage, as this is related to the structure of your home, your devices, electronic devices and a range of factors outside the control of Rogers to provide direct support to".  And then I would suggest that we are on our own, we can confer here on the forum amongst each other with our knowledge and expertise, and recognize that Rogers only gets us to the gateway, that beyond that, we are pretty much on our own.

I think that Comcast may be moving this route because the comcast, like Fibe relies on WIFI connection between TV set top devices, and the inherent issue we see with challenges in getting full connections on our devices to the Gateway for Internet, is going to arise with IPTV flowing through our homes via  WIFI from the Gateway to our TV set top box.

This also makes sense why they will go with them doing installs, same as they do the whole install installs.  My inlaws Satellite in a rural area from the blue guys now uses the same transmission model as the Fibe model and an installer came in and determined the most appropriate locations for the WIFI repeaters that transmit the signal from the Satellite box to the gateway, and to their other set top boxes in the home, and my father in law was advised that the quality of the service may be impacted if they decide to move their TV receivers from their currently optimized locations.

So, we get a taste of the directions that Comcast may take Rogers services in the future, but an unknown factor in the mix is Hitron as it is not currently listed in the approved equipment used in the US market.

Nice catch on a related piece of information from the US Comcast market - hope that Rogers gets this whole implementation done well and relatively seamlessly.  And affordable!!

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi guys;  

I read all your posts and would like to clarify a couple of things.  The X1 Cloud DVR actually does the recording right on the box and then uploads recordings to "the Cloud"  Then you  can login online and watch your recorded show from anywhere.   Also being rolled out are these   

https://www.plumewifi.com/

If it works as intended.  IT will eliminate most common WIFI issues.  

Mythen