SamKnows Whitebox

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: SamKnows Whitebox

Does anyone know if the SamKnows Whitebox sends any raw data, other than statistics and measurements to the home server ?  I am concerned  about any security issues with the unit.  Thanks.

Highlighted

Hello, @malam

I understand your concerns and I believe those Whitebox units are secured. Please follow the link to check the related FAQs, hope this helpsSmiley Happy

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

All traffic utilization are refunded while under the SamKnows Whitebox project. Rogers is unable to separate which is WhiteBox and which is yours. You essentially have unlimited internet access as all usage will be refunded.
I Plan to Stick Around

A quick update.  I am glad to see that my first report shows that the speeds advertised by Rogers are validated by the

SamKnows so far.   It is nice to know that Rogers is delivering what is promised.  The following are the numbers over the last three weeks...

Downstream Speed Burst - Ave 318.76Mbps

Downstream Speed Sustained   -  Ave 277.83Mbps

Upstream Speed Burst  - Ave  21.94Mbps

Upstream Speed sustained - 21.44Mbps

Latency - 13.5ms.

I am on the 250/20Mbps plan.

Will keep you posted.

I've Been Here Awhile

DITTO.

I installed the Whitebox at about the same time as making several changes to my Internet use - 2 additional computers, upgraded 4 computers to Windows 10 with much software downloading/updating, etc. - so I couldn't immediately identify the cause of SOARING usage both uploading and downloading.  I now have conclusive proof that the Whitebox kicked my Internet use from an average of under 2 GB daily, about 50 monthly, to an average over 7 GB daily.  During a week's vacation away from home with all computers, cell phones, printers, tablets either shut down or physically removed from the house - with NOTHING on escept the Whitebox - I logged over 4 GB daily.

And NOBODY I have talked to at Rogers knows anything about Sam Knows or the Whitebox.

I've Been Here Awhile

I started August 2015. Did NOT receive info about credit for overages. No-one I spoke to at Rogers knew anything about it. When I called, the first response of Rogers reps was to try to up-sell my service. However, when I resisted and INSISTED I was given credits.
Retired Moderator RogersGabrielle
Retired Moderator

Hi @Sam-NO,

Welcome to the Community Forums!

We have an internal process in place to credit these SamKnows panelists for their overusage on a monthly basis. If you were billed for overusage and it is not credited back by the next month, you can e-mail us at SamKnows@rci.rogers.com

Have a great day! 

@RogersGabrielle

I've Been Here Awhile

Yes, I did get credits when I asked. And the reports did confirm that my Internet service was as good as or better than advertised.
But Rogers reps should be more aware of this program.
Thanks Gabrielle.
I Plan to Stick Around

I  disconnected my SamKnows Whitebox three weeks ago.  I was having problems with my internet service ( intermittent Internet service disconnections) and have to reboot the router a couple of times everyday.  I disconnected the Whitebox and have not had a repeat of the problems since.  Any suggestions?