SamKnows Whitebox

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: SamKnows Whitebox

You should try doing a speedtest without the Whitebox connected. If you're on Lite, you should get 6 mbps down and 0.25 mbps up.
I Plan to Stick Around

No matter at this point because I disconnected the stupid Whitebox.  Once again, I was not getting the internet over charges rebated back to me and of course, when I called Rogers Customer Service, I ended up with someone who didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

Then I get a suspected scam email puporting to be from Rogers about an account change I requested and a suspected scam reply to feedback about that email.

It may be time to shop for another provider if this is the service I can expect.  Mind you, Bell and everyone else are just as shady.

I've Been Around

It's an old thread, but I wanted to chime in.

I was invited to participate and unfortunately agreed. I didn't read the ToS, because mostly I didn't care. However, this means I was unaware of the usage issues that would result in having the box connected ... it never occurred to me that the box would do anything more than monitor the bandwidth of my own usage.

Anyways, I have been paying an extra $10 per month for ages now (to get the unlimited bandwidth) because I was destroying the bandwidth cap (to the tune of over 250GB per month average) and when I called Rogers, they didn't say it was the box and I didn't know to ask.

Anyways, I disconnected the box back in the fall (wanted to use the wireless on my modem) and sent an email to the samknows account asking what to do with the unit ... never received a reply /shrug

It's now collecting dust in my office

My $0.02

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Any usage utilized by SamKnows should show up as a credit on our billing statement. Yes, you'll get notices and get charged extra, but there's refunds that gets applied on the day of billing.

I've Been Around

Hello,

I was just reading the SamKnows report: https://www.samknows.com/broadband/uploads/Rogers_Short_Form_Report_Jan_20th_-_Feb_20th_FINAL.pdf

I wonder however, why the following Packet Loss metric was omitted from this report:

In section C5 - there is no measurement for "100-105Mbps" for Rogers vs US wrt. Packet Loss.

Why is that?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You'd likely have to ask Samknows, they are the ones who released the report.

I guess its possible there was NO data for it, or was zero maybe.. but that should still be LISTED then in my opinion.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I just received an email request to sign up for this project.  I think its a worth while project and will complete the

sign-up.  Will keep this group posted on how things work out.

I've Been Around

Just installed my SamKnows Whitebox.  I look forward to seeing the results as my connection, though apparently sufficient for my household, it has not been as fast as advertised in the Rogers Ignite 250u.  Of course this could be due to all the temp cables running across the neighbourhood (you would think they would get to them by now). Ill update my experiences with data use, latency, etc as time goes by.

I Plan to Stick Around

Installed the device from SamKnows yesterday.  It was a simple and flawless installation.  This morning, I received an email with my account setup which will enable me to log in to the report as the project progresses.  Stay tuned.

I've Been Here Awhile

Is there a way to monitor how much data the SamKnows Whitebox uses for its testing?  I can't manage my own data usage if I don't know how much it is using since its data shows up in my total usage (shown in the MyUsage section when I log into Rogers).

I understand that charges due to excess data consumed by the Whitebox will be reversed, but that doesn't help me since my own usage is blurred by the data the Whitebox uses.  That means I cannot effectively manage my own consumption.

Is there a site that shows how much data has been transferred for the testing?  The "SamKnows Panelist Dashboard" does the test results (speeds and latency) but now how much data was used.  Can you give us estimates on how much data it should consume for each class of service (60x10, 100x10, etc.)?

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats