SSL V3 support ended?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

SSL V3 support ended?

Does anyone know if Rogers/Yahoo shut off SSL V3 support on January 20, 2016?

*** Edited Labels ****

Retired Moderator RogersShakir
Retired Moderator

Re: SSL V3 support ended?

Hello @nitram987

Are you referring to any particular settings or encryption for SSL on your Rogers/Yahoo email?

Do you have any trouble setting up your email on a client?

Cheers,

RogersShakir

I'm Here A Lot

I have a proprietary remote monitoring sensor that uses SSL. I have learned from Rogers Support that Rogers/yahoo still supports 'basic' SSL but not SSL V3. My remote sensor failed to communicate from Jan 20, 2016 onwards. Does anyone know if there was a sudden change in supported SSL versions on Jan 20?

Meanwhile, I've placed an enquiry to the remote sensor vendor to see what version of SSL they use.

I'm an Advisor

@nitram987 wrote:

I have a proprietary remote monitoring sensor that uses SSL. I have learned from Rogers Support that Rogers/yahoo still supports 'basic' SSL but not SSL V3. My remote sensor failed to communicate from Jan 20, 2016 onwards. Does anyone know if there was a sudden change in supported SSL versions on Jan 20?

Meanwhile, I've placed an enquiry to the remote sensor vendor to see what version of SSL they use.

One thing is very unclear to me: your sensor uses SSL to do... what? and connecting to who?

Also, when someone says "Rogers/Yahoo support SSL X but not SSL Y", that's meaningless. They're not going to be doing deep packet inspection to block SSL Y traffic between you and some random server out there. All that means is that Rogers/Yahoo's own servers will not support connections using SSL Y, but if you are not trying to connect to their servers (i.e. SMTP/POP3/IMAP, the Yahoo portal, My Rogers, Rogers online voicemail, etc.), that doesn't matter.

So, if, say, your sensor runs its own little web server that serves HTTPS, what Rogers/Yahoo support is... completely utterly immaterial. 

If you mean that it uses SSL SMTP to send you notifications, and you have it set to use Rogers/Yahoo's SMTP server, then what SSL standards are supported on that SMTP server is very, very, very relevant...

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you for your response. Yes, my sensor module connects via WiFi to a Rogers Hotspot which then connects to tower and Rogers/Yahoo servers (i.e. SMTP/IMAP, the Yahoo portal). On a periodic basis, the sensor module stores readings to a data-dedicated Rogers/Yahoo email account that I set up. Whenever I want, I can view historical graphs of temperature, humidity, water, power status, and door opening activity stored in those data emails through an associated proprietry app. I also set up the sensor module to text an alert notification to me whenever a pre-entered temperature level or power availabilty limit is exceeded. All of this is battery backed up so it works during power outages to give me early freeze warnings from my remote vacation residence. The residence has no landline telephone or cable options.

So, does anyone know of any changes to Yahoo/Rogers SSL support on Jan 20, 2016?

It was fine up until then.

Thank you

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That i know of, no, the SSL connection for the mail is REQUIRED.

Is it just these units which are failing to send?  or can you get into that email at all?

Sometimes the account locks out, and requires you to log in via webmail to unlock.

Are you able to list all the settings you are using for your devices?
(server, ports, etc)
Username must be the full rogers email address, etc.

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks. All is as was before the falure - full user names, imap.mail.yahoo.com, port 993, smtp.mail.yahoo.com, port 465. Other devices (laptop) access the email account with successful reads and writes. And I can even communicate with the sensor module directly without failure (it has a built-in small WiFi server for initial setup). So, we know its WiFi, program loader and core work. And I have cleared out and successfully reloaded the sensor module and the email account.

At this point, with no known Rogers/Yahoo SSL support changes, and after 70K sensor emails over 2 years from the sensor module, I am leaning towards the sensor module's embedded microprocessor internal flash wearing out and affecting its ability to communicate readings upstream anymore. I'm thinking a counter or pointer with no wear level protection. It worked well for the 2 years!

Thank you again for all of your support.

I'm an Advisor

@nitram987 wrote:

Thanks. All is as was before the falure - full user names, imap.mail.yahoo.com, port 993, smtp.mail.yahoo.com, port 465. Other devices (laptop) access the email account with successful reads and writes. And I can even communicate with the sensor module directly without failure (it has a built-in small WiFi server for initial setup). So, we know its WiFi, program loader and core work. And I have cleared out and successfully reloaded the sensor module and the email account.

At this point, with no known Rogers/Yahoo SSL support changes, and after 70K sensor emails over 2 years from the sensor module, I am leaning towards the sensor module's embedded microprocessor internal flash wearing out and affecting its ability to communicate readings upstream anymore. I'm thinking a counter or pointer with no wear level protection. It worked well for the 2 years!

I am not sure how reasonable it is to assume that there have been no Yahoo SSL changes.

This forum is, IMO, not the best place to get that kind of information. I'd expect most people here probably i) barely use the Rogers/Yahoo email service, and ii) if they do, they are primarily using it with client devices new enough not to be affected by such a change. Since we know Rogers/Yahoo will never send such a detailed technical notification to their customers, how would we know if they did make a change?

Before you go and throw out what may be an expensive piece of hardware, have you thought about testing with another SMTP provider? Yes, outbound port 25 to non-Rogers/Yahoo servers is blocked, but SMTP on port 587 or 465 (SSL) will work just fine with any server... 

I'm Here A Lot

Thank you VivienM. Yes I set up an outlook email as an alternative and tried both 587 and 465 (SSL) without success. I made sure I could send emails to the account from my laptop and receive emails from the email account.