Roges Online Protection on non Rogers ISP?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Roges Online Protection on non Rogers ISP?

Hi Guys I am just wondering if the Rogers Online Protection only runs on PC's on the Rogers ISP?

I had 2 Laptops stolen in a breakin last month, Police cought the guy but the laptops were gone, I just happened to check my ROP Teck Expert page on my new laptop & it it looks like my old stolen laptop has been renamed & is still using my ROP for virus check!

I am wondering if this only runs on Rogers ISP? if so I am hoping Rogers can trace the IP to an account with an address?

just wanted to get my ducks in a row before I contact the police

Thanks in advance

Eamon

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Roges Online Protection on non Rogers ISP?

Weither RoP records the IP its sends the updates to.. i am not sure.

But no i dont think its ISP dependant... MAYBE it needs to be for updates, but would still run at least when the PC is started.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the reply Gdkitty, I was just surprised when it appeared in my Tech Expert window that it scanned on Saturday.

I was assuming that it is still attached to my account somehow? & I was really hoping that it could be traced by rogers.

Eamon

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You need to discuss this with tech support or someone who is an expert in ROP.  The question as you were indicating, can the IP address be traced?  Maybe, but without the police asking for the address, Rogers would probably not be able or willing to release it.   Don't give up, keep digging.  Discuss this with both Rogers and the Police. 

For your new laptop, here is a similar service that you might want to consider:

http://lojack.absolute.com/en-ca

You may want to consider encrypting your hard drive which could make it harder for anyone to use in the event that this happens again.