Rogers to offer gigabit download speeds to Internet customers

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers to offer gigabit download speeds to Internet customers

Monday, Oct. 05, 2015

Kind of interesting:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/rogers-to-offer-gigabit-download-speeds-to-interne...

"  Rogers Communications Inc. is preparing to roll out “gigabit” download speeds to its broadband Internet customers.

The Toronto-based cable and wireless company is set to announce its plans at a midday press event on Monday and will begin offering download speeds of up to 1 GB per second in parts of Toronto as well as Vaughan, Markham, Richmond Hill, Ajax, Pickering and Whitby later this year. It will make the higher speeds available to its entire footprint – which covers four million customers – in 2016.  "

See article for remaining text......

***Edit Label****

Retired Moderator RogersAliciaG
Retired Moderator

Re: Rogers to offer gigabit download speeds to Internet customers

@Datalink

Thanks for sharing this article.

We will have to watch the midday press event.  Smiley Happy

Thanks, 

RogersAliciaG

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Pretty interesting.  4K TV + gigbit internet.  If you think people have problems now trying to run 250 mb/s, wait till gigabit service arrives.  Personal opinion, gigabit data rates on LANs is going to be a challenge for the vast majority of people who order it.  Homework and preparation are going to be really important when it comes to successful implementation.

On the Rogers side, that would indicate that the next generation Docsis 3.1 modems, "RocketTM Gigabit Wi-Fi modem" should be ready to go, as well as all of the required backend support thru the nodes and beyond.  Guess we'll have to see. 

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/rogers-announces-gigabit-internet-and-worlds-largest-commitment...

I Plan to Stick Around

I think that this will be great. I will probably have to wait until mid 2016 here in Guelph but I can live with that.

BUT.

A whole pile of the goodness of this will be lost if Rogers do not add native IPV6 to the service at the same time ( or sooner!)

I am sure there will be a temptation to use Carrier Grade Nat  but as they will have to replace a zillion older DOCSIS modems anyway to support Gigabit and undoubtedly upgrade some headend and backhaul kit they may as well add IPV6.  

Most customers won't notice as OS's since Vista will just use V6 as soon as they see an RA packet from the router.  That is, most customers will not suddenly call Rogers support!

All decent modern home routers support V6 and again, those that don't , the customers won't notice.

I believe the CGN3 supports V6 but it is turned off.

So Rogers, please add native IPV6 to the project.

By the way. I am one of the few who  use the 6RD service that is totally non-supported but works rather well.

I Plan to Stick Around

Why bother they cant provide what they say they are now pushing out so how do they expect to do this espically  peeps like me that have been waiting a year now for them to supply a new node so that i am now sharing with 21 others, would rather they get the 250 wrking the way its supposed to then push out something new that from past experince they wont be able to supply as promised like they cant suplly now as promised

I'm a Reliable Contributor

So excited to hear this. After hearing Bell announce their gigabit plan, I'm happy to see the competition in full swing. I've heard it's going to be the same price as Bell ($149). Can't it be lowered to $139 to be competetive? 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-internet-1.3256745

Also, speaking about Docsis 3.1 modems Hitron has yet to announce a Docsis 3.1 modem. The highest speed that their modems could handle as of now is 1.2Gbps. As Datalink metioned, we should expect a new modem capable of atleast 10Gbps (which is the Docsis 3.1 Standard). 1.2Gbps is just not enough to handle LAN, and wireless.  

When upgrading to gigbit internet speeds, people need to do their homework. Most computers & devices should be able to handle atleast 1GBPS. As of now, mobile devices aren't capable to hand that speed. However newer phones, tablets, and streaming sticks should be capable. To support the speed of 1 gigbit/second it is important for people to update their network drivers so they can maintain the best performance and speed. Realistically, you'd be only seeing 1GBPS speeds mainly on your desktop. To take advantage of this speed, people have to upgrade their routers to those such as AC1750 AND AC1900 to atleast get close to 1gbit internet speed. However, as I mentioned earlier it depends on the device you have. New devices are able to support faster internet speeds.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@eddiethefunnyon wrote:

When upgrading to gigbit internet speeds, people need to do their homework. Most computers & devices should be able to handle atleast 1GBPS. As of now, mobile devices aren't capable to hand that speed. However newer phones, tablets, and streaming sticks should be capable. To support the speed of 1 gigbit/second it is important for people to update their network drivers so they can maintain the best performance and speed. Realistically, you'd be only seeing 1GBPS speeds mainly on your desktop. To take advantage of this speed, people have to upgrade their routers to those such as AC1750 AND AC1900 to atleast get close to 1gbit internet speed. However, as I mentioned earlier it depends on the device you have. New devices are able to support faster internet speeds.

I agree with most of this, but I think 'new devices = faster speeds' is a very dangerous assumption.

There are still TONS of computers being sold with single-band 802.11n cards. Lots of Android/Windows single-band 802.11n tablets on the market too. Even when you see '802.11ac' on most consumer-grade Windows machines, it's the single-stream Intel 3160 card (max speed 433 megabits/sec)... 

Meanwhile, there are 5-6 year old business Windows laptops floating around with 3-stream dual-band 802.11n cards (mostly Intel 6300). 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@eddiethefunnyon wrote:

So excited to hear this. After hearing Bell announce their gigabit plan, I'm happy to see the competition in full swing. I've heard it's going to be the same price as Bell ($149). Can't it be lowered to $139 to be competetive? 

What I'd like to see is the pricing for the slower plans, and whether they will change as a result of this...

I have difficulty understanding why someone who can get unlimited 250/20 for $100 would pay $50 more per month for gigabit/50. The extra upload, I can understand the appeal of (but really, if you care about upstream speeds, competing technologies are a much better bet than DOCSIS), but... what can you do with a gigabit download speed you can't do with 250?

I agree, the slower plans do need to be repriced when Rogers releases their gigbit internet package.