Rogers speed test lies

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers speed test lies

Randomly had my internet drop out for 5 mins tonight 😛 first time in like forever.. thought it might be the dropout issue some people have when not bridged, etc..

Cam back on its own.. and none of the normal warnings in the log.. nothing in the log, actually.. which is odd.

Anyways, restarted it while i was there.
And i have the 3 upstream channels now.. though oddly.. its the first, 3rd and 4th.. 2nd is blank

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Same - although I think mine was out repeatedly and for longer. Nothing in the logs for me either.

I've only got upstreams 1, 3 and 4 as well - wasn't sure if that's normal but I guess it is.

Oh and I finally got rid of my splitter - so my modem is connected directly to the main line coming into the house. My downstream powers are all between 3 and 3.6 now. Also, my speeds are back to what they were as usual.

Will need to talk to Rogers regarding my plan since it seems even with the cables being pretty well as good as they can be, I'm still not getting proper speeds. I'll update with what they find.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I finally called Rogers - turns out my problem was actually with the plan. For some reason, even though my plan was called the Express plan, it wasn't considered related to the regular express plan, an so I never got the speed upgrade.

Secondary issue was that my Modem wasn't in bridged mode, as it should have been.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hopefuly its all working now!

Sounds like you may have been on like the OLD grandfathered express plan which is what the old stand alone modems use.. and didnt get changed possibly.. or something similar.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

That's not a surprise, Rogers lies to me all the time, saying they have the fastest CABLE internet, when in the states the cable internet providers are giving customers 150 mbs, far cry from the lame internet we have, and way cheaper.
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

JeffreyH:

Rogers has speeds up to 250mbps, including 150mbps. I think 150mbps is one step up from the Extreme Plus service. You wouldn't likely want to pay for the 250mbps option, though. It's over $200 a month. I guess it's primarily for business use. I have the Extreme Plus service and consistently get download speeds of about 60mbps, which is higher than the "advertised" speed, which I believe is 45mbps. I haven't looked at the packages for a while, so I could be wrong about the 45mbps.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

So, GDKitty...you're pretty knowledgeable in this area as I see from the various posts, maybe you can give me tips on similar problem.

I upgraded today to Advanced Wifi Router (CGN3ROG), and upgraded my plan to the 35MPS...which should have been activated today but may not have been (my account still says Express 60GB plan) yet which would take me to the Extreme. Ran Rogers' test tonight and was getting 15-20, seems okay for DL if they haven't upgraded me yet.

However, the upload still shows at .54. I rarely do any uploading so it hasn't been much of an issue, but even with Express, I've never done better than that. The number has always sucked.

So, my question is -- assuming that I fix my DL by actually getting them to give me the package I'm supposed to have now, how do I do something about UL speeds?

Paul

aka PolyWogg

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would give it till say mid day tomorrow.. and keep checking, see if it still shows express 60g

They can not apply the new plan/speed/usage packages, until the newer modems are on the account.

If you didnt have it on the account yet, the account change may not have applied.

That you are at .54 up, is what it would show, under the old (your current) express package.  Pretty sure the new plan just isnt applied.

Sometimes can be as simple, as they set it to go on the next billing cycle (cleaner that way on the bills, less confusion).

If it hasnt changed by mid day, call back in.

Then have them put the new, correct plan on.

The changes SHOULD show up withing usually an hour, on the myrogers site.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I work for a Wireless ISP and I can tell you that the speed tests for each company are run on their own servers.  This way Rogers will get an accurate reading of what your speeds are on their network.  No ISP can control your internet performance beyond their own network which is why they will always ask you to run a speed test on their own server.  

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers speedtest result discrepancies

From the very start since 3 months now, Rogers speedtest results (~700 Mbps) for my 1Gbps connection showed a large discrepancy compared to other benchmarks (~100 Mbps). Real world experience proved to be slower than any speedtests. This was frustrating because Rogers tech only supported Rogers speedtest.

Since a recent pushed modem firmware update to 4.5.8.21, Rogers speedtests has dropped and is consistent with other benchmarks. I will need to contact Rogers tech support again.