Rogers speed test lies

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Niav77
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Rogers speed test lies

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3096178784

Over the past couple years I've had the Express package (rated for 25Mbps/3.125MBpbs down and 2Mbps/256KBps up), my upload speeds haven't changed a bit. Not once have I seen it go to, or higher, than 64KBps and even getting close to that is rare. Not to mention, my actual download speeds are NEVER close to 25Mbps. No matter what I'm downloading (through Steam, Dreamspark, etc.) it will always hit around 22Mbps for a second, then quickly drop to 10-12Mbps for the rest of the download. According to speedtest.net I should be getting ~20Mbps, but this is never the case with actual usage.

I'm not basing this purely off of speedtest.net either, viewing my PC's exact usage through the Task Manager gives the exact same results, whether I'm uploading to my cloud storage, downloading updates, or anything else. Frankly it's absurd how much I'm paying for what I'm actually getting.

The biggest problem: whenever my upload bandwidth is clogged (ie. pretty well always), everything else bogs right down and I literally can't do anything else. Of course, this wouldn't be so bad if only my upload speeds were actually as fast as they should be - at least then I could get my uploads done faster.

So here's my question: has anyone else experienced this same issue, and if so, how can I get it fixed? I have the SMC D3GN-RES, so the router likely isn't the problem. Also, I get the same results on my desktop (Ethernet) and laptop (WiFi-N). Also, not sure if it matters, but I have the 300Gb Express package.

Thanks.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am using the same gateway, and am getting my speetests pretty proper. (though i am in a very different area than you.. you are in NB? i am in ontario).  So the gateway is not the culprit.

Now.. as for ever seeing those speeds, outside of a speedtest?  You likely NEVER will.  25mbps is a combined overall  what the total pipe could potentialy give you.
You would likely NEVER see speeds like that when downloading something, etc.  The end SERVING the information, would not be pushing it out that quickly, that much at one time.  Your limiting factor is the other end in some cases.

Now, if you had MULTIPLE things going, potentialy you could see it.  I have seen 15+mbps combined download, between multiple torrents at different times.. but thats between them ALL.. highest one maxed at around 6 i think. (and thats 6 then for that torrent.. which is then likely smaller amounts, from MANY sources).

Though yes, there is something up, if you are not getting quite your promised speeds on a speed test.   On the 25/2 package, you should be showing on a speedtest (as long as its one of the prefered ones, you may have to try a few to get different results).. 23+ / 1.8.

Niav77
I'm Here A Lot

Yeah, I'm in Ontario as well.

The thing I find odd it that quite often when I'm just starting to download something, I do notice download speeds get to 22-24Mbps almost every time - which shows that it's clearly capable of the speeds, but then a second or two later it ALWAYS drops to my usual 10-13Mbps. It's frustrating, since it seems to be able to get the proper speeds, but it simply can't hold them for some reason.

Speaking of the other end though - I often get most of my downloading done while I'm at school now - I get speeds in excess of 5 MB/s (Steam and Dreamspark alike). But whenever I download from those same sources from my home internet, it's always the same result. So I know the end servers are plenty capable, and that something must be wrong with my service. I've tested for months now, and pretty well any time of the day I get the same results. My internet also completely drops from time to time, but that's a different story for another time...

I just did some more searching online and found my router doesn't have the latest firmware. I apparently have the SMCD3GN-RRR (not RES, which I could've sworn it was) with FW v3.1.4.45.6. From what I've seen online, it should be at v3.1.6.42.5. No idea whether this would be what's affecting my service or what..

I've no clue how the firmware updating works though..I've always assumed Rogers did it automatically from their end.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Normally yes.  You should be able to call in and have them push it out.

I am on the same revision as you though.

The start of the download, with the spike at the begining, is normal.  Rogers has the SPEED BOOST, which will bost the begining of a download with extra speed, then drop it down.  Primarily this is for helping with streaming stuff.. (loads more of the video quicker at the begingin).

What results do you get from the rogers speed tests?
While not a good test as what you will get on the INTERNET as a whole, as the packets never really go OUT to the internet... it will show at least the potential out of the house.. if it cant get the speeds there.. there is an issue with the gateway communicating out.

Niav77
I'm Here A Lot

When I tried the Rogers speed test, I got the exact same results as the regular speedtest.net... ~20Mbps down and ~0.5Mbps up.

I had no idea about the "Speed Boost" - doesn't really seem all that useful though.. although maybe I just don't notice the times it kicks in when on youtube or whatever else. I've found that regardless of the video, if I watch it in 720p or 1080p, I always have to wait at some point for buffering - always depending on how much my upload bandwidth is being used.

Really though, my biggest issue is with the upload speeds and how there seems to be a complete lack of QOS for it (even though it's typically the bigger bottleneck).

EDIT: Considering my speeds have peaked above the speedtest.net results though, don't you think the problem wouldn't be with my modem? I mean, it's obvious it can get higher speeds, just not consistently (and assuming they're only due to the speed boost). I'm wondering if there's some error on the Rogers end, maybe they didn't actually give me the service upgrade from what, 18 -> 25 down and 1 -> 2 up?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What does your usage cap show... 80g?  Then you should be on the right plan.

Though i guess is possible the modem is not provisioned right... but you would likely be getting lower than you are then 😞

It likely more is the BACK end something in the area.

What does your downstream/upstream bonding in the gateways settings show?

Prior to the 25/2 upgrade.. i found much like you.. just about ANY upload, would choke the connection.. that you are getting .5.. it likely is still doing the same.

Compared to at the 2.. i can still have light upload (sub .5) and still be able to function and even play wow fine.

Niav77
I'm Here A Lot

I was actually on the old Express plan, then after speaking with Rogers, got my cap upgraded to 300Gb. According to their site, I'm on the Express plan still, with 300Gb. I'm starting to think maybe it's some sort of grandfathered version of the Express plan that they gave me. Not sure really...

Also, I'm not sure what downstream/upstream bonding is, but I found this in the Cable Status page, not sure if it's what you meant, or what it means (but I did notice 600MHz / 23.7MHz is almost equal to 13Mbps / 0.5Mbps...coincidence?):

(this was in table format, but the forums didn't like that I guess) 

Downstream Channel

ID 0 1 2 3

Downstream Frequency 609.001343 MHz 591.002075 MHz 596.998779 MHz 603.000122 MHz

Lock Status Locked Locked Locked Locked

Modulation 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM

Symbol Rate 5.360537Msym/sec 5.360537Msym/sec 5.360537Msym/sec 5.360537Msym/sec

Downstream Power 6.204651 dBmV 6.434265 dBmV 5.938474 dBmV 6.261848 dBmV

SNR 38.257755 dB 38.257755 dB 38.257755 dB 38.257755 dB

Upstream Channel

ID 0 1 2 3

Upstream Frequency 23700000 Hz      

Lock Status Locked Not locked Not locked Not locked

Modulation 64QAM      

Symbol Rate 5120 sym/sec      

Upstream Power 52.0000 dBmV      

Channel ID 3

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its POSSIBLE that the 300g one, is one of the older speed plans.. i guess.

That is the page i was looking for.

My upstream is the same.. Only one channel, same frequency, 64 QAM, etc.

Your downtream.. seems to varry quite a bit.. which is possibly what is causing it.

4 channels with 256 QAM is the same.
But your frequencies, varry greatly.   Mine are 614.998535 MHz 620.999756 MHz 632.997681 MHz 638.999023 MHz
My signal to noise ratio is a little lower than your  36.386890 dB 36.386890 dB 36.844463 dB 37.092701 dB

The BIGEST variance i see,is your downstream power.

0.840109 dBmV 0.999914 dBmV 1.225967 dBmV 1.285690 dBmV

Yours is in the 6's!  I am wondering if you are getting too much noise/interfearance which may be causing something.
Do you have a power boster or anything installed on the lines at the house, etc?

Might be worth getting a tech out to look at signal, etc..

With mine.. just ran the rogers speed test, on a wired PC.. and got 55/1.9 (the 55 is due to the speed boost).

Niav77
I'm Here A Lot

So I just tried using a newer but much, much longer coax cable - it seems that my connection is much more stable now. I've been uploading heavily to Skydrive and it seems to kill the router repeatedly whenever I do this...was constantly getting these errors:

TCS Fail on all Upstream Channels;

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;
Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing

Oddly enough, my downstream power is actually higher now on all four channels:

ID 0 1 2 3

Downstream Frequency 591.002075 MHz 596.998779 MHz 603.000122 MHz 609.001343 MHz

Lock Status Locked Locked Locked Locked

Modulation 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM

Symbol Rate 5.360537Msym/sec 5.360537Msym/sec 5.360537Msym/sec 5.360537Msym/sec

Downstream Power 9.165952 dBmV 8.435012 dBmV 8.565641 dBmV 9.071694 dBmV

SNR 38.257755 dB 38.257755 dB 38.257755 dB 38.257755 dB

I also have 3 upload channels now, 0, 2, and 3, all with varying values across most of the board:

ID 0 2 3
Upstream Frequency 23700000 Hz 38596000 Hz 30596000 Hz
Lock Status Locked Locked Locked
Modulation 64QAM 64QAM 64QAM
Symbol Rate 5120 sym/sec 2560 sym/sec 5120 sym/sec
Upstream Power 50.0000 dBmV 48.0000 dBmV 50.0000 dBmV
Channel ID 3 1 2

My download speeds are now atrocious unfortunately... <10Mbps. I'm just glad the modem isn't constantly reinitializing anymore - at least I have a steady connection.

Definitely going to see about getting a tech out to my place though. Something definitely seems wrong here.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I havent rebooted my gatewy in ages.. maybe i should do so.. might get the 3 up channels.

3 was what it was at before. they have been playing with some stuff lately, which had it drop to 1.. but normally should be at the 3.

Something though it really up with your signals though, in my personal opinion.  Make sure when you ask, see if you can get a senior tech, etc, who knows more of the detailed stuff, than just basics.