cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers speed test lies

jeffbriggs
I Plan to Stick Around

I signed up for express when the speed was 15mbps, so that is my contract, even though express is at 25 mbps now.  Every single speed test site gives me a result of 15, which I have, but the rogers speed test gives me 25 everytime.  This is proof that the rogers speed test doesn't test your actual speed, it just tells you what you're supposed to have.  This is about the zillionth time I've caught Rogers being dishonest. 😞

***edited labels***

50 REPLIES 50

Re: Rogers speed test lies

Gdkitty
Resident Expert

As has been mentioned before in this thread.. tests are hard to compare from one to another.. and will never be a 1:1

Why? Distance, location, the amount of network hops between, etc.

The rogers test is taken as the benchmark, at least to see if the modem is working fine and getting enough POSSIBLE throughput.  That the end test point is there, without having to go out to the internet elsewhere, it removes any of the extra hops, etc.. that could slow it down.

As you start doing other tests.. you are then jumping from one carriers network to another possibly.. or even 100 different ones, depending on on where you are testing to.  Even 3 tests points in one city, can yeild different results, based on how the rogers network connects to them.
And the further away you go, the more hops you are adding.. each of them will slow things down slightly, add a little more latency, etc.

Realistically, from a single sourse out on the internet.. are you ever likely to max out your connection (either up or down)? Not likely.. just to to the slight slowdowns as a whole, depending on where that endpoint is.  Also dependant on what the other side can FEED you.  Great you can download 100mbps, but if the other side cant feed it to you at that speed.

Havent really tested/seen since i moved to the 100u internet... but i do know its possible to max a connection.
ON the 60mbps package prior, on a torrent, i was pulling 7.8MBps (Mega BYTES per second), which equates to 62mbps.  But thats comming from multiple sources.

stibloc
I've Been Here Awhile

Why is there a large dicrepency between the speed test from the rogers website as opposed to many differerent indepentdant speed tests? Rogers website always reports much higer speeds. somtimes as much as 5 times higer. Even if you test directely from the OOkla website and compare the test through the rogers website (i think they use the same ) the speed have large discrepancies. ?????

The descrepancies all have to do with the ENDPOINT.  Where the speedtest is testing to.

The rogers speedtest, is a good overall generally good test, to see then if the hardware between your house, the street, etc and rogers is good.  The endpoint is within rogers.. so your never going really out to the internet proper.  But it will show, if your capable of getting up to those speeds.

Speedtest.net.. and many others.. give you the option of one or many specific endpoints to test with.  These are all out there on the internet.

Every endpoint can be a varring different routes/interconnects from rogers.  One could be rogers and then right to them.  Others could be rogers, to bell, to someone esle, then to that endpoint.
The more nodes you put in, the more potential jumps, the more likely is that you may see some speed loss.

I live in Georgina (SE side of lake simcoe).  CLOSEST wise, it says for me to do the barrie test spot.  But its much slower, why?  It goes from me, down to toronto, then back up to barrie.  I am better to test toronto.  KW is much the same.  The KW servers, to test against them, goes back to toronto then back to them, due to the way that rogers connects to the networks those guys are on.

If your in the toronto area, the best server to test with is the TELUS one, it tends to give pretty close to the rogers test results. (though now that I look, i dont see it anymore?  Prob the best now would be the Tekksavy one)

100u internet plan
Rogers Results:
129.05down/10.35up

Speedtest Tekksavy Toronto Results:
135.39down/10.61up

stibloc
I've Been Here Awhile
I am paying for a 100 Mbps connection and independent tests show download speeds of between 1 and 1.8 Mbps while Rogers test showed 30 - 50 Mbps . How would such high discrepancies come up ? However upload. Speed s for both test were consistent at around 10 - 11 Mbps. ??

Is that measured via wifi or ethernet?  If you used wifi, can you run the same test via ethernet?

I agree with @Gdkitty, "The descrepancies all have to do with the ENDPOINT.  Where the speedtest is testing to."

A speedtest should prove that the last mile, ie, the copper cabling from the neighborhood node can support the data rate that you are paying for.  To do that you need to choose a server that is close enough, and that has enough horsepower to run that test.  Using the speedtest.net default server will suggest a site based on ping time, but, that server doesn't necessarily have the high data rate capability that other sites have.  If you're closer to Toronto than you are to Montreal, I would suggest using the www.speedtest.net Toronto Rogers or Beanfield site.  To use the Rogers site, when you're on the www.speedtest.net site, select "Settings" from the top menu.  Then select Toronto Rogers from the drop down menu at the lower right.   Save the setting and then select "Take a Speedtest"  Choose the Preferred site.  If you're close to Montreal, select either Montreal Rogers or Montreal Fibrenoire Internet from the dropdown menu.  Save the setting and run the test.  

The other issue that goes along with this is the type of test that the various services are providing.  Some use single stream, some use multi-stream which is user selectable.  A good many of those test sites are scattered across the U.S. and further abroad, so, you will run into slow data rates from those servers.  Thats a matter of choice and really proves nothing other than what you might expect if you're running a server in one of those places.  You probably can't get a fast data rate out of those servers to the point where it stresses the last mile, and your own network, which is what you should really be interested in.  

If you are running via ethernet and can't get somewhere in the order of 130 down, 12 up, then it might be time to look at your signal levels at the modem to see if they are within spec.  If you log into the modem, copy the downstream and upstream tables at the DOCSIS WAN page and paste them into a post.  That will paste in the text contents of the tables.  With those on hand, we can determine if the signal levels and signal to noise ratios are where they should be.  

If you running the test via wifi, then its time to look at your wifi environment, both 2.4 and 5 Ghz to determine if you happen to be competing with other users for a clear channel to operate in.  That can be virtually impossible in many locations depending on what frequency band you're operating in.  

If you load inSSIDer on a dual band laptop, you can check both bands to determine who else and how many other modems and routers are running nearby.  The link below is for the last freebie version of inSSIDer.  It doesn't properly show the 802.11ac networks in the 5 Ghz band, but the newer licenced versions do.  If you use 5 Ghz networks, its worth the $20 US to purchase so that you see the complete 5 Ghz picture. 

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html