Rogers speed test lies

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers speed test lies

I signed up for express when the speed was 15mbps, so that is my contract, even though express is at 25 mbps now.  Every single speed test site gives me a result of 15, which I have, but the rogers speed test gives me 25 everytime.  This is proof that the rogers speed test doesn't test your actual speed, it just tells you what you're supposed to have.  This is about the zillionth time I've caught Rogers being dishonest. Smiley Sad

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers speed test lies

That is not quite correct.

I can get varrying results, between the rogers speedtest, and 3rd party ones.
THis is partially from the SPEEDBOST part which interfears with tests (only effects the first small % of a download, but enough to be visible on a speedtest).. as well as END location.

Currently did a test, from a wired PC, i am on express 25mbps servie.
Rogers speed test shows me at 43mbps (so that blows the what you SHOULD have theory out of the water).

(now this, is likely SHORTEST route too, least number of hops, compared to an outside speedtest)

Run speedtest.net, pointing at 3 different locations (1 different city nearby, 2 same city nearby different endpoints)

1: 32mbps

2: 27mbps

3: 37mbps

I Plan to Stick Around

It is absolutely correct, I have video screen recorded proof currently uploading to youtube, 5 other tabbed speed test sites consistently give me 12-15 mbps, Rogers settles at 25 EVERY time. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No, i do not work for rogers. 
I am currently sitting at my job, on a bell internet connection, where i work in IT.

There are other users, here with over 12,000 posts.. and they do not work for rogers either.. we just try and help out others.

I remote connected in home, and and did my above tests.  I can repeat them, and post screenshots, if you really want me to.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2978227695.png

www.speedtest.net/result/2978210755.png

Unfortunately no easy way to direct link to the speed results on the rogers one.. got a bit lower this time, but still came up 30.9.

http://gdkitty.myftp.org/other/speed1.jpg

One thing you have to understand.. regardless.. the rogers will will be ALWAYS slightly biased, due to it location. If you were to compare tracerts on all of the servers for testing, the rogers speed test, would go only a few jumps, and never goes outside of its network. Comparatively all the other speed tests, will go those same number of hops, plus others, to get to it location.  So the latency (ping) can go up, and often effect the maximum speed.

I have a friend in KW, who is with TSI, and complains his speed is slow, to ONE KW server, the other is fine.  Why? We did a tracert on them.. one of them, it stays in KW therefore faster.. the other one.. goes from KW to toronto,then back to KW.. hence why its slower.

I am not denying, that you may be getting ODD results.. but the program is not outright LIEING.

I Plan to Stick Around

You are missing the point, Rogers is giving me the advertised speed of express every time, which is 25, but my actual speed is 15 on my contract cause I joined earlier. I am talking about FIVE other speed test sites all saying nothing over 15, and my speed test server is in Kitchener which is a short drive away, The point isn't that Rogers shows higher speeds than other sites, the point is that their speed test purposely skews your speed during the test so that you always get the speed of your package, that is why they're lying and saying I have 25mbps when I really never have over 15.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No, it does NOT skew it.

My image above, proves that.

I am on the express package. So the same package as you.
But i have the upgraded D3 gateway, so i am able to get the 25mbps speeds.

So by your saying.. because i am on that package... mine should show 25mpbs as well?
Why then does it show 30+?

I Plan to Stick Around

Mine shouldn't say 25, it should say 15, which is my real speed and the speed on my contract.  And iit is the speed I always get no matter what, Rogers test automatically shows the speed advertised on the CURRENT express package, if rogers speed test wasn't lying mine would say 15, not 25.  It just automatically says 25 because I'm on "express"

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am not arguing, that there maybe something mssed up, etc as to why its showing something for yours.

BUT.. as a general purpose.. the speed test WORKS, and shows pretty close to the same values, NOT of what the package SHOULD be.

While i was doing my testing.. i accidently ran the rogers while a speedtest.net was running.. and it gave me back a 12mbps speed.

By your saying, that should have shown at least 25.

Only thing i can think, is that there is something wonky for the way its showing, for people who are not on the current versions of the package. (though i would doubt it)

As a side note.. the roger speed test, can be run from NON rogers internet as well Smiley Happy  I just ran it at work,where we are on a 100mbps direct bell fibre into the building.  Came up with a 94mbps speed test.
How does it know what plan i am on with bell?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Whatever I'm over it, I'm really just mad that I pay 80$ a month for 15mbps speeds with a cap, LATER!