cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers new modem announcement

Mayoo
I plan to stick around

I got this announcement in my feed today. 

Has anyone ordered this ? is there a beta firmware testing group for this modem ?

https://about.rogers.com/news-ideas/experience-the-worlds-most-powerful-wi-fi-technology-with-rogers...

Rogers today announced that it is the first major provider in Canada to launch a new Wi-Fi modem with Wi-Fi 6E – the world’s most powerful Wi-Fi technology. Building on the newest generation of Wi-Fi technology, Wi-Fi 6E enables multi-Gigabit Wi-Fi speeds, ultra-low lag times, and increased capacity for more connections than ever before. Select customers in areas across Ontario, New Brunswick, and Newfoundland can now take advantage of the new Wi-Fi modem for the best in-home Wi-Fi experience that will revolutionize how they game, stream and connect, now and in the future.

*** Edited Labels ***

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Rogers new modem announcement

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Mayoo wrote:

I got this announcement in my feed today. 

Has anyone ordered this ? is there a beta firmware testing group for this modem ?

I don't think that this new gateway is available just yet.  Users in the Community who subscribe to Ignite Gigabit Internet were recently invited to participate in testing of a new gateway.  I am not involved in the trial but I presume that this is the hardware that is being tested: https://corporate.comcast.com/press/releases/comcast-wifi-6e-fastest-router-gateway-10G-low-latency

However, if you have DOCSIS/Cable Internet, not a XGS-PON-based service, this new gateway will give you WiFi 6E but no other benefits.

As for the high-speed, low-latency fibre networks that the announcement talks about, this "war" with Bell first started when Bell announced additional upgrades to their FTTH offerings.  Not to be outdone, Rogers countered with their own announcement.  Since the massive outage in July, Rogers' PR machine is running on hyperdrive... but the reality is that these next-generation networks are rolling out slowly, in small pockets, and it will take years and years and years for Rogers replace their legacy infrastructure.  Unless you are in a new development, you could be waiting an eternity for your services to get upgraded.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-G- wrote:

However, if you have DOCSIS/Cable Internet, not a XGS-PON-based service, this new gateway will give you WiFi 6E but no other benefits.

Okay, maybe this is not entirely true.  If Rogers is testing the XB8, then the cable modem in this gateway will support high-split DOCSIS, which will enable Cable Internet providers to increase bandwidth/capacity and offer higher upload speeds.  I have heard talk that Rogers is readying cable plants to support high-split in some areas but this, too, is also something that could take quite some time to roll out, and the money required to upgrade legacy cable Internet infrastructure would be better spent rolling out FTTH/XGS-PON.

icedroit
I plan to stick around

Does anyone know if the XB8 modem will be available for Ignite Business internet connections (not Ignite for home)? Currently have the Hitron CODA-4582U and something like XB8 would be a great upgrade. I know they won't let you get the XB7 or other Ignite residential modems for a business internet connection but I was hoping that this new modem would also be available for business connections instead of only for residential.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@icedroit wrote:

Does anyone know if the XB8 modem will be available for Ignite Business internet connections (not Ignite for home)? Currently have the Hitron CODA-4582U and something like XB8 would be a great upgrade. I know they won't let you get the XB7 or other Ignite residential modems for a business internet connection but I was hoping that this new modem would also be available for business connections instead of only for residential.

When you look at the hardware specs, the Ignite gateways look like a great upgrade.  However, they were designed to be the hub for Comcast's "Connected Home" offerings.  The Comcast gateways seem to have been kept deliberately simple to prevent non-technical customers from getting themselves into trouble.  Some functions on the Ignite gateway can now also only be configured using the mobile app. The Hitron CODA has way, WAY more configuration options and can still be configured and managed using a web browser.  Unless Comcast has another software build that can make their gateways more like something from Cisco / Juniper and less Mattel , the Ignite gateways will only be usable by residential customers.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers is now constantly running commercials promoting their new Wi-Fi 6E gateway on Citytv... and it is the XB8.

Mayoo
I plan to stick around

let me try the live chat and see if i can upgrade to XB8 

ChristopherR
I plan to stick around

I have FTTH and have come across and interesting dilemma.

I just upgraded my plan to 2.5dn x 2.5up. I was all ready to connect the cable from my XB7 to my motherboards 2.5 port, when it hit me!

The Nokia ONT is using the ONLY 2.5 port on the XB7 to bring service to me. So that means I have a plan that I can't fully use because of Rogers equipment. 

I called and luckily spoke to someone with a brain in their head. He couldn't figure out what a customer is supposed to do. He suggested the XB8 and is sending one out tomorrow with a "senior tech". But I told him that the XB8 also only has one 2.5 port on it.

In the end apparently, he is sending the tech with an XB8 and a 2.5gbps switch (I'll believe it when I see it).

What is Rogers going to do when the new 8gbps customers want to connect their gaming computers at 10gbps!

And this is their "new and fantastic" modem lol

@ChristopherR If you want your computer to get 2.5 Gb/s connectivity, the only way that you will be able to do this is if you have a VERY fast router and run on your own network gear.

If you are able to get an XB8, it will allow you to use more of the available bandwidth on your Internet connection when you have multiple devices connected via Wi-Fi 6E and Gigabit Ethernet.

ChristopherR
I plan to stick around

I want to pay for 2.5 and get it via wire from rogers to my computer without having to buy expensive network gear.

All they had to do was provide a modem with more then one 2.5 port. (Or maybe even a 10G port for their 8gbps customers upcoming). Because they are jimmy rigging their system with this ONT to XB setup and not doing it properly like Bell (all in one), the customer can actually use the bandwidth they are paying for. It's absurd.

It's not up to me to provide my own network equipment to be able to use the service they are selling me. 

The XB8 will put me in exactly the same position I am in right now (but I figured why not get the better modem if he's offering it). 

I guess I will see if they actually being me a 2.5G switch tomorrow, in which case, the ONT can go to that switch and then the XB8 can be connected by wire for Wifi to the switch at 2.5 (as well as my computers).

@ChristopherR  I'm not sure how the 2.5Gb switch will be of any help to you.  The Ignite gateway will operate in "WAN: Ethernet" mode and that port will need to be connected directly to the ONT.  The 2.5GigE port cannot be used to connect devices on your in-home network when running in this mode.

If you had a DOCSIS Internet connection, the XB7 or XB8's high-speed LAN port could be used for device connectivity and the 2.5GigE LAN switch could be used to expand the number of 2.5GigE ports.

I agree with @-G-, that switch won't be of any use.  Fwiw, just to make sure we're talking about the same ONT, have a look at the following thread:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33078351-Internet-Finally-Rogers-FTTH-has-arrived

The first post has a few pictures, including pictures of the Nokia XS-020X-A ONT that Rogers has been using recently.  Is this the same ONT that you currently have?

Just as a comment, you're not the first person to post a comment/wish/desire for multi-gigabit speeds where you're not willing to pay anything to facilitate those speeds on your network.  The usual response is "good luck".  Higher data rates requires updated routers, switches and possibly cabling.  In theory, 2.5 Gb/s is not much of a stretch now.  There are multi-gigabit switches out now that are still more expensive than everyday switches.  That higher cost differential is coming down but its not down to a point where its equivalent to a normal gigabit switch.  At this point in time, that's just the way it is.  Manufacturers are not dumping gigabit components for a head long rush into multi-gigabit components.  The move to multi-gigabit equipment is happening, but, its a slow change over that will take many years. 

Rogers and other ISPs are currently married to Comcast's decisions on equipment and network capabilities.  End result, for the time being, Comcasts decision to release modems with one 2.5 Gb/s port is it.  Comcast appears to be pushing 2 Gb/s service across their network, so, a modem with 2.5 Gb/s ports suits their purposes.  They are planning for higher speeds, but I haven't seen any info on hardware to support those speeds.  

For now, if you have the same ONT, the only options to see 2.5 Gb/s would be:

1.  Connect the ONT directly to the pc where the pc is equipped with a 10 G/bs ethernet port.  That requires a new motherboard or an addon LAN card with 10 Gb/s ports on it.  Then there is the issue of connecting the ONT directly to the pc.  You have to be absolutely confident in the pc's ability to protect itself from the constant probing that occurs from internet miscreants located around the world.  It has been noted that you don't need the modem.  Apparently you can connect the ONT directly to a router, so, in theory, you should be able to connect a pc directly to the ONT, not that you would necessarily want to do that. 

2.  Buy a router with a 10 Gb/s WAN port that also has one or more 2.5 Gb/s LAN ports in it to support the higher data rate devices on your LAN.  If you were only able to find a router that has a single 2.5 Gb/s port on it, you would also require a Multi-Gig switch to support other devices on your LAN that runs at 2.5 Gb/s or higher.  

To keep an eye on what Comcast it up to, have a look at the Comcast forum on DSLReports:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/comcast

Have a look at a thread that discusses Comcast's announcement for higher data rates:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33491547-Speed-Comcast-to-Roll-Out-New-Multi-Gig-Speeds-Across-All...

Comcast might have a modem in the test stage with a 10 Gb/s port on it, but I haven't seen anything that explicitly details such a modem.  Without a second multi-gig port that can run 2.5 Gb/s, that modem would still be of not use to you.  Yes, you might be able to get 10 Gb/s to the modem, but, if the modem only has three more ports which max out at 1 Gb/s, it would leave you in the same situation.

bmcdo
I've been here awhile
My recommendation : stick with the Hitron CODA-4582U. In my experience the XB7 is a poor performer and Rogers has limited the interface access. If you are in a busy area, there will be too much traffic congestion as the XB7 (and likely the XB8) will do a very poor job choosing appropriate channels and channel configuration.
Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 in conversation