cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers mail not connecting to Mac Mail

Newbe
I've been here awhile

I have just upgraded to a new MacBook and cannot add my Rogers email account to Mac Mail.  Rogers tech support says it is a known problem but cannot provide any solution. The issue isn't with the mail account itself, since I can log in through the browser.

Has anyone found a way to connect their Rogers email account to Mac Mail (Ventura)

Thanks

Rob

21 REPLIES 21

Re: Rogers mail not connecting to Mac Mail

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Newbe : I assume you're talking about the fact that the app password generator has not been working since early March.  There is currently no ETA on when or whether this will be fixed.   This affects Outlook, Mail, and I believe Thunderbird e-mail clients on computers.  It doesn't affect Mail on a device like a phone or tablet since they don't require an app PW. There has been a huge amount of discussion on this topic.  Sample threads below:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-App-Password-Generator/m-p/505006#M75990

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Unable-to-create-app-password-for-Rogers-Email/m-p/50...

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Using-Rogers-email-account-in-Outlook/m-p/507391

If you had it working on your previous computer, you may be able to copy the app PW from it to your new computer, or copy the entire Mail contents.  (I use Outlook, so this is feedback based on many posts in the various threads on the topic.

When I upgraded from a Mac Mini to my Mac Mini M2 earlier this year, I did a backup to a hard drive and "restore" from that drive to the new computer and this worked for Outlook for me.

Sailorman
I plan to stick around

I’m stuck with the same problem. Just switched over to Ignite and lost my Rogers Yahoo email on all devices.

I called Rogers tech support and they got me going on my iphone and iPad but not on my Mac email. I can sign in using the web browser but Mac Mail calls for an app password that can’t be reset. 

Anyone have advice thoughts on how to fix. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Sailorman : There is no workaround or fix. It sounds as though your Rogers/Yahoo e-mail may have required (or had) a reset of the password - either by you, or by support. If that's the case, then the app password generator will not work and you are out of luck as discussed in my previous post.

BDC99
I've been here awhile

I have been using Apple Mail for my Rogers email account for many years. I changed my Rogers mail password and now I cannot log in to Apple mail.  When is Rogers going to fix this? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BDC99 wrote:  When is Rogers going to fix this? 

As stated in this and several other app generator threads, there is no firm commitment from Rogers as to when, or if, this app generator issue will be fixed.  There has been some anecdotal feedback that it will never be fixed.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-mail-not-connecting-to-Mac-Mail/m-p/514782/hig...

aelaan
I plan to stick around

Thanks for all you do RE.  It is like talking to a brick wall with Rogers.  Part of my monthly bill is having access to 10 email accounts (grandfathered in).  In the interest of everyone, I was lucky enough to set a password before this.  It also seems Rogers just gives the finger to their community, with resident experts trying to direct the flow of incoming messages to the right spot.  Use webmail?  Really, that is the best Rogers can do?  I have at least 150 sites that use my rogers account as verification.  I guess that was a big mistake, and I am slowly porting everything over to Microsoft, but it is tedious, and I have lost several accounts, one of which a recurring fee is happening, so I ordered stop payment on it.  Like having a total outage of the phone system, Rogers.... they couldn't care less, pay up slaves, pay more.

Sailorman
I plan to stick around

Can someone clarify who owns this and who should be fixing. Is it Rogers, Yahoo or Apple? 

jhalmos
I've been here awhile

I got a reply from @RogersHelps on Twitter, basically blaming Yahoo and that this will never be solved. Stunning, and thanks Rogers for not making any formal announcement about this.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Sailorman wrote:

Can someone clarify who owns this and who should be fixing. Is it Rogers, Yahoo or Apple? 

It is not Apple's fault since MS Outlook (and Thunderbird) on desktop/laptop computers are similarly affected by the app PW issue.  Our "contract" is with Rogers and they should be looking into the issue.  They subcontract with Yahoo for the e-mail service so it's up to Rogers/Yahoo to fix the issue.

There has been speculation that Yahoo "caused" the issue, but that Rogers is unwilling to pay to get it fixed since it probably affects very few people and Rogers gets little or no direct revenue (see TOS comments below).  People affected are those using their desktop/laptop computers along with Apple Mail, Thunderbird or MS Outlook and only those people who changed (or lost due to various reasons) their App PW.

The vast majority of people these days use phones or tablets for e-mail and they are unaffected.

If you are affected, your options are to use Webmail, or change your e-mail to something like Gmail, Yahoo, your own domain, etc.  This way you can carry your e-mail wherever you are and are not reliant on an ISP.  Do not switch your e-mail to another ISP like Bell because you may end up jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Just as an FYI, Rogers does not charge directly for this service - there is no line-item in your bill for this.  It is included in your overall bill, yes.  Speculation: Yahoo may provide it to Rogers for the "advertizing" (on Webmail for example).  Rogers outlines this in their Terms Of Service, Paragraph 5d.:

https://assets.ctfassets.net/8utyj17y1gom/5kZeFugE8fdJUaFhM061wN/6acd35be2922a5af403a9c3ab69adef7/Ro...

BDC99
I've been here awhile

Thank you for this clear explanation of the issue. As I understand it, Yahoo has a fix to create a password generator. 

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/access-yahoo-mail-third-party-apps-sln15241.html

However, when you sign in to your Yahoo Account Security Page, as instructed, it takes you to the new Rogers Member Centre, and there is no option there to generate a password. Hopefully Rogers will provide instructions to generate a password as Yahoo does.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BDC99 wrote:  ... Rogers Member Centre, and there is no option there to generate a password. 

There is for me.  Go to Account Info, then Authorized Applications and the option to generate an App PW is still there, however, when you try to generate an App PW, it states that 

Generating an app password is currently unavailable but don’t worry you can still access your email via Web Browser at mail.rogers.com.

..as has been the case since early March.

BDC99
I've been here awhile

Thank you. I guess I will have to wait until generating an app password becomes "available"

ghanff
I've been around

Yes, I have encountered the same problem. The ticket has been open for well over a month.  They changed some code on their end.  Seem to have done nothing to correct it.  Still trying to get Rogers to pay attention to the issue.  I have a tremendous dislike for the web version.

NFP
I've been here awhile

Thunderbird for MacOS (Senoma) is a viable workaround to the native Apple Mail client since it correctly authenticates to Rogers via the web without needing the now non-functional application password. It supports multiple email accounts (eg. rogers and gmail) in a consolidated inbox. Not ideal but it works. Good luck.

MastersofTheUni
I'm here a lot

Evidently, after creating a case regarding this back in May and timely follow up Rogers has elected to no longer support Mac Mail outright. The real failure here is that no one from the VP downwards thought to provide any timely messages / updates that there was a potential of sun-setting this support. Furthermore, the company failed miserably to present alternatives to the situation. To presume customers would be pleased with Rogers Yahoo Mail app with little-to-no sophisticated features / functionalities and constant advertising is a slight to every longstanding Rogers customer. If anyone here has some work-arounds on how to restore Mac Mail and/or alternatives I'd welcome a thoughtful explanation and guidance.

@MastersofTheUni wrote:

...alternatives I'd welcome a thoughtful explanation and guidance.

You asked for alternatives. Here they are, although you may not like them.

1. Use latest version of Outlook which seems to work on computers - see link below

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Can-t-create-App-password/m-p/517930/highlight/true#M...

2. Use Mail (or similar App) on a device like tablet or phone, which is what most people use - doesn't require App PW.

3. Switch to Gmail or Yahoo (not Rogers Yahoo), or your own domain at a few $/month

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You forgot suggestion #4

Try to eventually migrate off your isp based email and onto a standalone email provider that is not associated with your residential home internet. Here are the 3 most popular choices: Hotmail/Outlook,  Yahoo Mail, and G-Mail.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Pauly wrote:

You forgot suggestion #4

That's because those options are outlined in my point 3 of my previous post.

You're right. I do not like them. 

Re: #2: suggesting "what most people use" is presumptuous. If evidence was provided this opinion would be better received as fact. 

Thanks for responding. 

thanks @Pauly 

Topic Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 10 in conversation