cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers email, Using POP, Status of SENT Items

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

So, @CommunityHelps ... is the following by design, or is it a flaw?

I normally send and receive my email via OUTLOOK.   On mobile devices, it maybe the relevant Android or iOS mail client.

On ALL my devices, it is configured for POP3.

On the mobile devices, the POP3 client is configured to "retain items on the server"

On the "main" computer, it is set to "Remove items from server" . 

That way, my portable devices only see email since the last time I "cleared" it on the PC, but the PC sees and collects everything.

With that arrangement, I almost never log on to webmail.  Maybe once in a while when I suspect a message might have been stuck in Rogers spam filter, instead of coming down to my own in OUTLOOK.

Today was one of those days. 

Now when I DO log on to webmail...

I normally check the garbage, where I note that recent stuff from the inbox still exists until they turf it in a week or so..

And I normally check SPAM, in case a valid message got turfed.

I almost never check the "sent" folder, since I do not expect to have anything there... I almost never send anything through webmail.

For some reason today I checked the "Sent" folder.

... and it turns out that Rogers has been saving ALL of my sent messages, since April 2019, whether sent from webmail, or from OUTLOOK.   

Now I have been a Rogers internet and email customer forever, so what happened in April 2019 to cause this saving to suddenly start???

AND, as I ask.... is this by design, or is it a flaw???

***Added Labels***

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Rogers email, Using POP, Status of SENT Items

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Something changed in Yahoo/Rogers Webmail on November 1, 2019. Here's a sample post on the topic.  I'm not sure why this came about, but it did.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/How-do-I-fix-it-so-that-I-don-t-get-doubles-of-every-...

Interestingly, sometime in the past year, the items in the Webmail sent folder are no longer bold (unread), but they still go there when using POP.  I assume this was on purpose due to customer requests.

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

Why would customers 

@57 wrote:

Something changed in Yahoo/Rogers Webmail on November 1, 2019. Here's a sample post on the topic.  I'm not sure why this came about, but it did.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/How-do-I-fix-it-so-that-I-don-t-get-doubles-of-every-...

Interestingly, sometime in the past year, the items in the Webmail sent folder are no longer bold (unread), but they still go there when using POP.  I assume this was on purpose due to customer requests.

Mine are bold (unread), April til Dec 3, 2019, then all "read" after that.

Why would POP customers want to save sent items on the server, when they have them on their own devices?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ColdGranite wrote: Why would POP customers want to save sent items on the server, when they have them on their own devices?

Backup and use when travelling without their computer/e-mail client.

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@57 wrote:

@ColdGranite wrote: Why would POP customers want to save sent items on the server, when they have them on their own devices?

Backup and use when travelling without their computer/e-mail client.

But --- but --- but--- that doesn't make sense.

If you wanted backup, wouldn't you ask for "keep on server" so that you would have the RECEIVED items as well??

If you wanted your stuff for travel,  same thing.  What use are the sent items without the received items?   

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If I don't delete the received items via settings in Outlook, the received items are/stay in Webmail.  I therefore have both sent and received items on Webmail.  Make sure your settings in the e-mail client and on Webmail don't automatically delete received items and they will  remain there "forever". I also have some file folders in Webmail similar to the ones in my Outlook client on my computer where I can move sent or received items.

Interestingly, as I mentioned in a previous post (in a link), if I send an item from Webmail it does not end up in my sent folder in Outlook on my computer.  If I want to put something in Outlook on my computer that I sent from Webmail, I copy myself and move it to my sent folder manually.  I use Webmail when travelling.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
If u want them to show in your outlook applications sent folder when sending from webmail, why not use imap instead of POP3.
Imap is really good at syncing messages across all kinds of devices aka webmail, outlook, android, iphone, tablet, mac etc

I use imap.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I realize that there are advantages to IMAP, however, I currently prefer POP.  For one, I don't need to be "connected" (work offline)  I also have different file folders in various locations/devices depending on how I use that particular device (Computer, Webmail, iPad).

At some time in the future I will switch all my e-mails to a single gmail account and "start over" fresh with IMAP, but currently I have several decades of e-mails set out in a particular way and IMAP would disrupt that and I would not be able to "go back" once switched.

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

Guys...

The POINT is that I DON'T WANT anything saved on the server.  

And yet the items sent from Outlook via SMTP ARE saved on the server.... and I have to go in there and manually remove them.  Whereas, I maintain that... having set the "remove from server" flag ... I maintain that I should not have to do that.   And if I have a bunch of email addresses, it is a big pain.

I dont want saved messages either, but it seems like it does it automatically, regardless if your imap or pop. Anyways its likely a system wide change that might be beyond your control and as long as you can send and receive messages with no issues theres likely nothing you can do about it.

usually they will only fix issues that are service interrupting, but it sounds like your services are working as intended, the saving of messages in your sent items folder might not even be something rogers can control since they partnered with Yahoo so it could be a yahoo intended settings.

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation