Rogers disabled my internet because it detected attacks from my D-Link router. - How to fix.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Rogers disabled my internet because it detected attacks from my D-Link router. - How to fix.

Just an FYI, if you've got a D-Link router and Rogers has suspended your internet account, and you've had it turned back on, and don't know what to do, I found a great site which provides the specific instructions on Firmware update & disabling UPNP.

http://support.dlink.ca/FAQView.aspx?f=sY5vcvfAuAV6bXgi%2f8WoVw%3d%3d

The above also includes a link to a site that will scan your router for the specific vulnerabilities that Rogers may have told you about. - or directly here: http://upnp-check.rapid7.com/

I just wanted to share this, for those people who are in the same position I was.

If this is information already posted here (that I coudln't find) - Please accept my apologies.

dorrdon

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers disabled my internet because it detected attacks from my D-Link router. - How to fix.

First question I would ask is what version firmware does your router have installed.  The latest version on D-Links support page is Version 1.02 dated 1/7/2016.  The release notes indicate the date as 18 nov 2015 for hardware revision 1A.  It looks like there is only Hardware version A, so, if your router's firmware is a previous version, I would update to the latest one.  

http://support.dlink.ca/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DIR-862L

Still thinking about the issue of replacing the router.  I would consider flashing a different firmware if that is available.  I don't have time at the moment to look at this but will do later today or tonight.  

As for other routers, I would recommend Asus and Netgear for their firmware updates and also for their ability to run other firmware, beyond the stock firmware that Asus and Netgear release for their own routers.  Having said that, all router manufactures are probably guilty of having equipment currently fielded that requires updates.  There have been a number of incidents within the last two years that have required manufacturers to release updates to resolve security issues.  Asus recently had its hands slapped with a huge fine and order for security reviews that will remain in place for the next 20 years.  I run an Asus RT-AC68U router with the majority of functions disabled, so, I'm not terribly worried about the previous problems.

I'll send a long pm later with some food for thought ideas when it comes to replacing your router.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers disabled my internet because it detected attacks from my D-Link router. - How to fix.

Thank you for the posting.  🙂

My in laws got the same email warnings, etc.

Seems to be alot of the OLDER routers especially that i have seen notified so far.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

My setup:  CGN3 in bridge mode with a D-Link DIR 862L Router.  Working great for 2 years.  Everything is set up correctly.  UPNP is disabled.    Added the router to the mix because the Wi fi on the CGN3 wasn't great in my 3 storey home.

Problem:  Rogers started flagging us as security problem not long after installing the router.  We get recorded phone messages every so often.  I've been on this forum previously for help with this.  Followed various recommendations but the problem persisted.  The security issue is not viruses or anything like that....it's this router.

Current situation:  Yesterday Rogers  suspended our internet.  Nice!  I spent 2 1/2 hours with them resolving it.  Gave them permission to remotely access our computers and go through them.  They cleaned, looked at the router settings, etc.   Very disconcerting.  They said the computers are clean but we can not use this router because they are being attacked through it.   He could not explain to me why a router that was new on the market 2 years ago would cause them issues.  He said we have to get a new router....something new in the last year.

Question:  What router should I get that is not going to be flagged?  I don't want to end up with another router that is going to get flagged.  Feeling very frustrated by this.  Recommendations would be appreciated.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

First question I would ask is what version firmware does your router have installed.  The latest version on D-Links support page is Version 1.02 dated 1/7/2016.  The release notes indicate the date as 18 nov 2015 for hardware revision 1A.  It looks like there is only Hardware version A, so, if your router's firmware is a previous version, I would update to the latest one.  

http://support.dlink.ca/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DIR-862L

Still thinking about the issue of replacing the router.  I would consider flashing a different firmware if that is available.  I don't have time at the moment to look at this but will do later today or tonight.  

As for other routers, I would recommend Asus and Netgear for their firmware updates and also for their ability to run other firmware, beyond the stock firmware that Asus and Netgear release for their own routers.  Having said that, all router manufactures are probably guilty of having equipment currently fielded that requires updates.  There have been a number of incidents within the last two years that have required manufacturers to release updates to resolve security issues.  Asus recently had its hands slapped with a huge fine and order for security reviews that will remain in place for the next 20 years.  I run an Asus RT-AC68U router with the majority of functions disabled, so, I'm not terribly worried about the previous problems.

I'll send a long pm later with some food for thought ideas when it comes to replacing your router.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks, Datalink.  I didn't realize there was a recent firmware upgrade.  Haven't checked recently.....this issue has persisted for 2 years and there was never an upgrade available.  Will give this a go with fingers crossed that it fixes whatever the issue is.

I don't really want to replace the router.  The Rogers tech said that was my only option and I don't want to get suspended again so....

New firmware is running.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

sometimes the rogers call center reps says a lot of unnecessary things like that. but yes I agree with Datalink, I too have heard of firmware on some d-links being vulnerable and new firmware released to fix it

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I know a while ago (like a year?) there was a vulnerability that was around.. which effected LOTS of routers.. many Linksys from what i remeber, pluss a lot more.

I think even rogers sent out an email about it, for people to check their own routers if effected, etc.

Its possible that that one, falls under the effected ones.

A firmware update may fix.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I just received a phone message from Rogers so it looks like the firmware upgrade did not resolve the security issue.  I suppose I will have to set up my CGN3 for wifi and look for another router.

There does not seem to be any other resolution for this.  I have tried everything suggested here on the forum....firmware, uninstalling/reinstalling moden and router, etc. and nothing works.  The router passes the tests online so it's baffling to me....but I'm not a techie.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I just read this comment by Datalink in another thread...."If you happen to be running the modem in Bridge mode with a third pary router, run a factory reset on the router and reset all of the parameters from scratch.  Do not use a backup parameters file to reload the parameters. "

When I did my firmware update a couple days ago I used my "backup parameters" instead of manually re-entering them.  I will do a factory reset and set it up manually.    Fingers crossed once again.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm marking this as SOLVED as I have not had a call from Rogers in over 5 weeks.

Datalink's advice to reset all router paramaters from scratch and not use the backup paramaters after the firmware update did the trick.  That is a shortcut that I will not use going forward.   A big thank you to Datalink for all the help.