Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers brings Gigabit Internet speeds to small business customers in Ontario

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rogers brings Gigabit Internet speeds to small business customers in Ontario

@RogersAsif wrote:

This is exciting. Thank you for sharing Smiley Happy

What's everyone thoughts?

RogersAsif

I think it will be a popular product... but I think the big selling point for most business customers is going to be the 50 megabit/sec upload, not the gigabit download. 50 megabits/sec upload is going to keep some businesses on DOCSIS rather than spending the big bucks for serious symmetric fiber connections...

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Rogers brings Gigabit Internet speeds to small business customers in Ontario

RogersAsif
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

RogersAsif

@RogersAsif wrote:

RogersAsif

I think it will be a popular product... but I think the big selling point for most business customers is going to be the 50 megabit/sec upload, not the gigabit download. 50 megabits/sec upload is going to keep some businesses on DOCSIS rather than spending the big bucks for serious symmetric fiber connections...

timlocke
I plan to stick around

I would think that you'll be offerring them a /56 IPV6 prefix as well  so that  their IT staff( the owners 12 year old!)  can do subnetting.    I realize that intially 75% of them won't even make use of IPV6...but soon.

This all sounds like a great plan to me.  

jnardari
I plan to stick around

It's disappointing that my company is unable to choose this service as we require a static IP for our in-house Exchange server and VPN tunnel to a branch office we have.  Apparently the maximum package that supports a static IP is 150/10.  Curious as to the rationale for that as otherwise, we'd be all over this plan.  

@jnardari wrote:

It's disappointing that my company is unable to choose this service as we require a static IP for our in-house Exchange server and VPN tunnel to a branch office we have.  Apparently the maximum package that supports a static IP is 150/10.  Curious as to the rationale for that as otherwise, we'd be all over this plan.  

The rationale? They want to make people who need more than 10 megabits of upload speed for "serious" use continue to buy "real", non-DOCSIS-based business-grade Internet for a lot more money... 

A 1000/50 service with static IPs and other 'businessy' features otherwise would make it very difficult to sell symmetric 100/100 fiber connections to most businesses... 

balkarn10
I'm here a lot

This gigabit service just got available in my area (Brampton). I just ordered it and im getting a tech to install it in a few days. Cant wait to share the results!

Speeds are terrible. I never get over 600 for download and never over 10 for upload. HUGE congestion and rogers is doing nothing and keep sending techs over and they do nothing. Ping is good but i get dropouts and reboots often. I have switched out my modem aswell but thats not the issue. Rogers knows about this issue but they are taking their sweet time to fix it. Pathetic. I will switch over to bell gigabit once its here. 

Jelllo
I plan to stick around

You may be disappointed. Gigabit speeds are about 800 mbit or 100 MB/s. You might get higher than that in a speed test, but in the real world you won't.  Google Fiber did a presentation at the University of Waterloo and stated their gigabit speeds were 100 MB/s.Rogers.jpg

nzbget.jpg

Can you post what your signals look like ( downstream and upstream) ? I can barely get 400 during the day and like 10 upload. Thanks

Jelllo
I plan to stick around

signals.jpg

How are you measuring your speed?  

These are mine. I have tested using steam and also a few torrentss. I usually get about 65-70MB/s.
Signals.png

Jelllo
I plan to stick around

A Rogers rep told me that signal strength in range is -10 to +10

You won't get full speed on Steam. I downloaded Doom from Steam and best I got was 50 MB/s

I don't usually use torrents, but I can get full speed from usenet, but that is 50 connections. The only way you can get full speed from a single connection I think is with ftp, maybe from a university, or a remote private server. 

My upload sucks. Barely get 15 now and the connection has so mych latency. Waiting on Bell Gigabit.

@Jelllo wrote:

The only way you can get full speed from a single connection I think is with ftp, maybe from a university, or a remote private server. 

I don't think most (if any) universities have the ability to serve files at a full gigabit/sec... and, for that matter, neither does anyone else's single server...

Jelllo
I plan to stick around

VivienM 

>and, for that matter, neither does anyone else's single server...

You are thinking residential...

There are lots of private servers that can serve up 10 Gigabit if you have the money for them. They are shared among many users. With ftp you can easily get gigabit speed and more....well as soon as Rogers upgrades to 2 gigabit.

https://10gbps.io/

@Jelllo wrote:

VivienM 

>and, for that matter, neither does anyone else's single server...

You are thinking residential...

There are lots of private servers that can serve up 10 Gigabit if you have the money for them. They are shared among many users. With ftp you can easily get gigabit speed and more....well as soon as Rogers upgrades to 2 gigabit.

https://10gbps.io/

I wasn't particularly thinking residential, I was thinking a different organization on the other end hosting whatever you're downloading from. If you're willing to spend $2000USD/month, sure, you can get your own server that you can transfer files to/from at gigabit speed... at least in theory. 

I don't think too many organizations are going to spend crazy money on enabling a single end-user to download from them at 1 gigabits/sec... and those organizations that serve out lots of downloads (Apple, Steam, Microsoft, etc) are all primarily going to use CDNs. I'm sure the various CDNs' servers colocated inside Rogers have multiple gigabit and/or 10-gigabit connections, but is that enough to let a single person download from them at a gigabit? You yourself were saying that it wasn't... 

And as for, say, universities (which was your example), do any universities have more than one gigabit of commodity Internet connectivity (as opposed to research networks, e.g. Orion, etc) for the entire campus?

Jelllo
I plan to stick around

>I don't think too many organizations are going to spend crazy money on enabling a single end-user to download from them at 1 gigabits/sec

If you follow the link I posted and click on 1 gigabit server, you can rent one for $400 per month. Shared by 10 friends that is $40 USD each.  

As for university connections,  I don't have a account anymore. I doubt there are any public ones.

But I think we can agree that the average user cannot max out a gigbit connection with just one connection.

Topic Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 in conversation