Rogers/Yahoo Pop access no longer marks messages as read on yahoo server

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers/Yahoo Pop access no longer marks messages as read on yahoo server

It took me a while and a lot of trouble shooting but finally found out about a change that Yahoo made that POP  users we were not advised about

If you use pop, when the email is downloaded to your phone or an app such as outlook or windows live mail, the email that was left on the server used to be marked as read.  This was good, so you knew you could delete it off of the server because it was saved on your phone or pc.  

Sometime in January 2017 this changed.  Please see the link and go to the page to ask for them to make a change if this impacts you.

https://forums.yahoo.net/t5/Sending-and-receiving/Pop-access-no-longer-marks-messages-as-read-on-yah...

***Added labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers/Yahoo Pop access no longer marks messages as read on yahoo server

Anyone using a Phone should probably be using IMAP instead of POP, so that any changes are reflected on all devices and the server.  I do agree that this is an issue for people using POP.

There is a huge thread here, started in early February discussing the various POP issues, recommendations, etc.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/4090...

I've Been Here Awhile

I prefer that any changes on all devices not be reflected on the server, as far as the inbox goes. I save items on PC or phone depending on subject matter, so POP works great for me. I share an email account so before I always knew when the other person had downloaded /read the email. Not possible now. Open to solutions. With IMAP I presume if one person gets on their phone or PC, the other won't see it if they check later, is that correct?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Although I'm not an IMAP expert, I'm pretty sure that all devices and the server reflect the same status for messages.  This is because the devices need to be "online".  So, if an e-mail is read on the phone, it would show as read everywhere. If an e-mail is deleted on the PC, then the e-mail would be "deleted" on the server and phone.