Rogers Yahoo E-Mail Delays & Missing Messages

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers Yahoo E-Mail Delays & Missing Messages

I've noticed delayed and missing messages on my Rogers Yahoo Mail Account.  At first I thought it was "just me" or a random occurrence, but I've seem enough instances over the last 6 months to think this is a real issue.  I engaged Rogers tech support, opened a ticket and gave them a password to access my mail account - what did they do - NOTHING - not even a reply to say they closed the ticket and ignored me.

If I can't get this fixed, I need to switch providers, because I need the mail system to have integrity.

Issues I've seen in my mail box more than a few times.

1) I get a "Reply" message from a group member, without getting the original message.  And on rare occasion I do get the original message, but up to an hour later, but certainly sometimes it never arrives.

2) I get a message delivered to my mail client (Outlook) and I read it.  I sign on to Rogers Yahoo Mail through my browser and that message isn't there.  40 minutes later it arrives in the Rogers Yahoo Mail client and is timestamp 40 minutes later than I got it in Outlook.  It makes no sense unless there is an internal problem at Rogers between servers.

3) I've confirmed that mail clients on PC and phone are set to not delete messages, but I have e-mail messages in my own mail client that never appear (not even after 40 minutes or an hour on Rogers Yahoo Mail client, so I'm a bit worried about what integrity the mail system has.

If you have similar symptoms/problems can you add your comments here and perhaps tech support will take the investigation seriously.

***edited labels***

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Rogers Yahoo E-Mail Delays & Missing Messages

Is any Community member able to assit @bcharters with their issue?

RogersDarrell

I've Been Around

This morning Rogers downloaded 4600 messages to my Inbox - most of these messages were duplicates of old messages previously read and deleted.

However the big issue is my Sent mail folder and Drafts mail folder were empty - all previous saved messages in those folders are not available. I had some very important personal and business emails in those folders.

I have logged a ticket

I Plan to Stick Around

That would be scary.  It is possible it is related.  As an update to my original post below, the Yahoo mail guys tried to ignore my ticket off on the weekend, passing it back to Rogers with a comment that showed they hadn't even read it.

There definitely seems to be a serious issue with messages getting deleted, but most people will only likely notice if they compare what comes through in their mail client to what shows on-line.   The hard part for this is it's hard to know what mail you didn't get..

Symptoms to watch for:

- you get a reply to a group message for which you did not see the original message - it's likely this issue.

- someone sent you a message and you didn't receive it on your Rogers Yahoo account (if you believe the sender).  I've also seen this and the confirm they didn't get a bounce back.

As you say, having your SENT messages wiped out or not getting all your messages in is a real problem that needs to be resolved and not dismissed my the mail support team.  It's a real issue.

I Plan to Stick Around

I also have this issue with my rogers account, once I downloaded the email on any one of my devices that email was deleted from the server and I couldn't access it anymore online.   I finally stopped using all my rogers email addresses and have now switched to using only gmail addresses.   Rogers couldn't resolve this and I couldn't be bothered with it anymore.  I have been with rogers for over 15 years using this same email address and never had a problem until last year.   If anyone here had that problem resolved I would be interested in knowing the cause of this but I'll never switch back to using their email services.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

jbird.

Your problem, is likely different from the others.

When accessing your email using a 3rd party program, there are generally 2-3 ways.

2,3, are via an IMAP or ACTIVESYNC type of connection... this is pretty much a way which CLONES what is on the webmail, folders, and all, any changes on one will appear on the other, etc.

The first way (and way MOST people have it set up, as it was the only option initially) is via PoP/SMTP.

This method, by DEFAULT unless set up otherwise usually... will DOWNLOAD the email from off the web server, to the local program only, no longer existing on the email server.

This is what sounds like what your setup is doing, jbird.

There are settings in there, where you can set it to keep a copy of the email on the server for X many days, indefinately, that it only deletes emails from there when they are deleted from the trash in your local program, etc.

Also as well.. if the email is to use IMAP instead (rogers/yahoo doesnt support activesync), it mimics everything.
I always used to fight with POP, even with the keep settings... but still had to go in and delete from the webmail, etc... was a pain.  Switched to IMAP and have never looked back!

I Plan to Stick Around

hi GDKitty, I have not change any of my settings and never had a problem until last year when my online mailbox remains empty once I download my email to any of my devices.  I have it set to 'leave on server until I delete'.  Rogers does not know why it is doing this, they checked.   I do have other Roger's addy's that I don't use but my husband uses and his stays on the server along with others.  We are allowed 8 email addresses one of which is the 'account email' the other 7 are designated email addresses.  I'm only having issues with the main address, the very first address I set up when I first signed up to Rogers back in 2001 or 2002, when Internet became available in my area and we were given 3 addresses to begin with, I used this address for everything, my work, my important communications and when I was unable to download a second or third time I was concerned.   This actually started happening a while after we got our cell phones through Rogers and I would access my email through my phone and then when I got home I would get my email updated on my laptop it worked ok at first then suddenly stopped and when I went online to my webbased email the whole box was empty, including the trash and spam box.  I use Thunderbird on my laptop exclusively and have never ever used the microsoft one that came with windows.   Also, my phone will not alert me to new mail using the regular email app but gmail will alert me, maybe it's the google android that blocks the regular email app and only lets gmail app through.  That also is another reason I switched to only using gmail now.   Ooops this is rambling and thanks for your help anyway. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sounds like it still could be a setting on one device (maybe the phone) which is set to full download it?

I know, generally on android, the rogers email SHOULD alert, etc.  I just set up my mothers new samsung galaxy 3, and a co-workers 4, and the both pull the rogers fine.

Have you tried to change it to the imap settings for that account? Perhaps will act differently, then for however the POP is screwed up on that account.

I Plan to Stick Around

It is strange my husbands phone is setup up identical to mine since I did all the settings and his rogers email stays on the server which results in 1000's of emails retained to access over the last 6 years, since the beginning of time for him.  My address however started disappearing like I mentioned.  So I don't know what using IMAP would do in my case.   I'm thinking of just deleting that email address and rather than allowing all future emails go into cyberspace they'll just get bounced since I've converted to the new address.  And make a new address, it could be that the box is corrupted and cannot be fixed.   Also, I don't like the look of the new webbased email, it's totally gone retro and looks like a preschooler set it up.

I Plan to Stick Around

Your issue may be different since it affects "all of your messages". 

The specific problem that we're hoping to get others to contribute their incidents to, in order to get Rogers/Yahoo Mail support staff to take seriously are the incidents over the past few months for one of the items below or another observation that sounds like this “intermittent issue”:

1) I get a "Reply" message from a group member, without getting the original message.  And on rare occasion I do get the original message, but up to an hour later, but certainly sometimes it never arrives.

2) I get a message delivered to my mail client (Outlook) and I read it.  I sign on to Rogers Yahoo Mail through my browser and that message isn't there.  40 minutes later it arrives in the Rogers Yahoo Mail client and is timestamp 40 minutes later than I got it in Outlook.  It makes no sense unless there is an internal problem at Rogers between servers.

3) I've confirmed that mail clients on PC and phone are set to not delete messages, but I have e-mail messages in my own mail client that never appear (not even after 40 minutes or an hour on Rogers Yahoo Mail client, so I'm a bit worried about what integrity the mail system has.

It seems to affect about 1 in 500 to 1 in 1000 messages, but those could be very important messages for the system to just “eliminate “without notice to anyone, even the sender.