cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Wifi 6 Modem rental

TheCat
I've been around

I'm on the Ignite Internet Gigabit-Unltd plan and also renting Hitron CODA-4582 model for a few years.  I'm wondering I can exchange the 4582 model with a newer wifi 6 modem.  I'm paying $10 monthly for the 4582.  How much does it cost to rent a wifi 6 modem?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rogers Wifi 6 Modem rental

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TheCat wrote:

I'm on the Ignite Internet Gigabit-Unltd plan and also renting Hitron CODA-4582 model for a few years.  I'm wondering I can exchange the 4582 model with a newer wifi 6 modem.  I'm paying $10 monthly for the 4582.  How much does it cost to rent a wifi 6 modem?

Thanks!

If you have a Hitron CODA gateway, you must be on a legacy Rogers Internet plan.  To be able to get a Rogers Wi-Fi 6 modem, the XB7 gateway, you will need to switch to Ignite Internet.  As with your current plan, the rental fee is included in the price that they quote you.  You do not have the option of not "renting"; you cannot buy a gateway from Rogers nor do you have the option of using your own cable modem.

Also, keep in mind that the Rogers-supplied hardware does not yet provide a fully-functional Wi-Fi 6 solution.  The Rogers Ignite XB7 gateway does support 802.11ax but does not provide an option to enable WPA3 encryption.  (I don't know why Rogers and Comcast disabled WPA3 support.). Also, the Ignite Wi-Fi Pods (that Rogers currently offers) only support Wi-Fi 5.

The next-generation of Comcast hardware, the XB8 gateway, supports Wi-Fi 6E... and Plume also offers Wi-Fi 6-capable Pods, which Comcast is presumably also testing.  However, there is no telling when Rogers will offer this hardware to their customers.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Re: Rogers Wifi 6 Modem rental

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TheCat wrote:

Thanks!

If you have a Hitron CODA gateway, you must be on a legacy Rogers Internet plan.  To be able to get a Rogers Wi-Fi 6 modem, the XB7 gateway, you will need to switch to Ignite Internet.  As with your current plan, the rental fee is included in the price that they quote you.  You do not have the option of not "renting"; you cannot buy a gateway from Rogers nor do you have the option of using your own cable modem.

Also, keep in mind that the Rogers-supplied hardware does not yet provide a fully-functional Wi-Fi 6 solution.  The Rogers Ignite XB7 gateway does support 802.11ax but does not provide an option to enable WPA3 encryption.  (I don't know why Rogers and Comcast disabled WPA3 support.). Also, the Ignite Wi-Fi Pods (that Rogers currently offers) only support Wi-Fi 5.

The next-generation of Comcast hardware, the XB8 gateway, supports Wi-Fi 6E... and Plume also offers Wi-Fi 6-capable Pods, which Comcast is presumably also testing.  However, there is no telling when Rogers will offer this hardware to their customers.

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 in conversation