Rogers - WiFi Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Rogers - WiFi Issues

Hitron Modum Stops Giving off Wifi After More Than 4 Devies are Connected!

My Hitron modem is not working correctly. It stops giving off wifi when too many devices are connected at once. After around 4 things are connected, it stops giving off wifi! I have the Ignite 70 plan! I was not told this when I purchased the package! I noticed this happening after I purchased my PS4. That was the 4th device to be connected, and I ran into all my problems after that. I can confirm that this is the actual issue because the agent on the phone told me this!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Which exact model of modem?

And which devices are you trying to connect? (and in what order).

There should be no limit in the # that can connect.

I know the CGN3 at least in the past, has some issues with APPLE devices for some reason, when they were a 'late' connection to the modem.. that there was others connected first, then it.
Often turning all off, then restart modem, allowed it to connect, then all the others.

I've Been Here Awhile

I have the exact same issue with the Rogers Modem. Took a 500mbps plan and got the White modem.  My LG G5 and a Samsung Galaxy Tablet keeps disconnecting when they are idle. COnnects immediately as soon as the device is woken up. Never had this issue with the BELL modem that I had for past 2 yrs. I can say for sure that this is a Rogers Modem issue. One thing clearly Bell is miles ahead of Rogers - Infrastructure! 

Hello, @Vineet

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community. I would be puzzled if two of my devices disconnect from the WiFi in sleep mode. Have you noticed the same issue with any other device in your network? 

The issue seems to be device specific. Let us know if other devices are affected so that we can troubleshoot accordingly. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I'm a Senior Advisor

The only thing I found for suggestions re the LG G5 was at this site

https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/599333-wifi-turning-goes-sleep-despite-settings-keep....

There must be something tough related to the design of the Bell gateway/modem versus the Rogers ones that possibly keeps devices awake - maybe sends a signal to wake the device up now and then.

Got me.

Bruce

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi - Thank you for getting back.

So, far it seems like the two ANDROID devices. But, could be others too. The issue is - the two devices having issue seem to show the wifi symbol on the screen (connected or not) even when they are sleeping. Hence, I can clearly see its not connected (if I dont wake it up). Other devices do not show on screen. May be, there are also not connected. But, the moment I wake the other devices (for eg., an ipad), it shows 'connected'. May be, it connected after waking up. I cannot say for sure.

Hello, @Vineet

You're welcome, I appreciate your response. There are certain devices which have the WiFi sleep policy to disconnect the WiFi when the device is asleep.

On your LG G5, you can check if the sleep policy is in effect by going to WiFi/Menu/Advanced WiFi/Keep WiFi on when screen is off. Please make sure 'Yes" is selected. 

Can you provide the model of your Samsung Tablet? It should have a similar battery saving WiFi sleep policy, I suggest to check it in the Advanced WiFi settings. 

Thank you for your patience and understanding. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi RogersMoin - the setting is set to YES. I already did that in both devices. But still it keeps disconnecting from the wifi when the device is idle. What beats me is - I had the same phone for past 2 years with BELL and never ONCE it had this problem. Wondering whats the issue with Rogers modem.. .!

The Galaxy model is Galaxy Tab3 (SM-611).

However, I saw in the Andriod forum someone suggested to install the wifi keeper app. So, I did that on both devices and will monitor for few days. Lets see how it goes. Will keep you updated.

Thanks again.

I've Been Around

I just changed my Modem ... same model as before. I cannot connect my Motorola Android phone to WiFi. The message says I have an Authentication problem. Need help.

Hello, @sgiven56

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community. Unable to connect a device to a WiFi network can be upsetting. The authentication error usually means the password entered on your phone is not matching the password you have set up on the modem. 

We can certainly assist in finding a solution for you. Are you using the same network name with a different password on the new modem as you had it on the returned modem? If yes, have you tried forgetting the network on the phone?

Do you have the same authentication issue on other devices?

Looking forward to seeing more details. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin