Rogers - WiFi Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Rogers - WiFi Issues

Hey guys,

I'm having a weird problem with my home wifi.

We have a Hitron modem that is connected (I believe its the Hitron CGN3).  We have all our devices (from iphone, to macs, to apple tvs, to windows 10 machines to roku, android tablets and phones) seeing the network SSID and connect to it (5ghz not 2.4). 

While all the devices see it, the  androids (tablet and phone) do not have the internet loading and functioning properly.  Websites and apps simply dont load.

I'm not sure what the issue is  but it seems quite strange.  Any tips you guys can provide would help out.

Thanks

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers - WiFi Issues

Have the android devices ever worked properly before?  If you log into the modem and navigate to the BASIC.... LAN Setup page, the bottom of the page shows the connected devices list.  Go to that page, and then leave it, go for coffee, a drink, a gaming session, whatever.  Come back to it after a while and see what devices it shows.  I think that it should show all of the connected devices, lan and wifi, but don't quote me on that one.  If none of the wifi devices show up, I'll have to do some quick reading and think of plan B. 

If you look at the product sticker at the back of the modem, it will tell you what CGN3 series modem it is.  Do you have both 2.5 and 5 Ghz networks transmitting from the modem, or just the 5 Ghz network, which would be a better choice.

I've Been Around

Wireless devices can't connect to wifi, but ethernet works.   Seems to be  a recurring problem I have every few weeks.

So my computer is hooked up to my hitron router that Rogers provided me and the internet works on it. However, all phones, game consoles, tablets, anything that uses wifi is dead.

When I try to connect my phone, it tries to connect, then says "Authentication problem" then just fails. I have restarted my router several times already. What is happening? All lights on the front of the modem are normal.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is the wifi issue restricted to the 2.4 or 5 Ghz network, or does it occur on both networks at the same time?  Doing some quick searching on the net, authentication problems appear to be common with Android phones, but, the fact that it occurs with the consoles is a little different. 

There have been recent issues where a problematic wifi adapter on a device will bring down the wifi network, which is then interpreted as a modem fault.  After isolating the devices one at a time, it turned out that the issue was indeed with a remote device.  So, consider that as a potential course of action to determine if anything on your wifi network(s) is causing the problem.

The other thing that comes to mind is competition in the 2.4 or 5 Ghz band.  It might be an idea to load inSSIDer onto a laptop to check out the wifi environment in your home and see who else is running a modem or router nearby.  inSSIDer will monitor both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks that can be detected by your laptop. Have a look to see what you're competing with in both bands.  In a suburban area, the 2.4 Ghz band is usually pretty crowded and tough to work in.  Usually the 5 Ghz band is less crowded and easier to find a clear channel.   The program link below is for the last freebie version.  A new version is out now that will handle 802.11ac networks in the 5 Ghz band, and which will work on a 802.11n laptop.  The new version will read the broadcast management frames and display the 802.11ac networks that are running in the 5 Ghz band.  If you use the 5 Ghz band, Its worth the $20 U.S. to buy, so that you can see all of the networks that are nearby.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

What you want to see on the graphical display is that your network is the highest network shown, which indicates that it has the highest received power of all the received networks.  Generally you want somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 to 45 dBmW separation between your network and any other network that is on the same or overlapping channel.  So, while your network should be the tallest on the display, everything else should be well below yours.  When that power level separation decreases, you end up with interference and possibly with problems maintaining a wifi network.  Your only option is to change to a channel with less overlap from the competition.  By looking at that display you might conclude that the 2.4 Ghz band is hopeless and that its time to move up to the 5 Ghz band, if you can.  If you have devices already running in the 5 Ghz band, look at channels 149 and higher.  If you can switch to any of those channels, do so, as the output power for those channels is higher, resulting in better signal levels, signal to noise ratios and data rates. 

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi,

So I recently (2 days ago) got Rogers student pkg ,the 30mpbs unlimited one. First they gave me the DPC8325. That only gave us WIFI in the lounge while nothing in the rest of the house. Rogers suggested changing the modem and I got the Hitron CGN2. I do get wifi now in the other rooms now (although it's very less speed compared to the place where the modem is) however my phone (LG G4) is having problems. Everytime the phone is locked, it disconnects the wifi, connects only when i unlock it. Now this is only happening on my phone and only on Rogers internet. I have Bell as well and it's working perfectly on that. I've checked the most possible reasons for this problem (WiFi always on, battery optimization, power settings) and none of them seem to work. I am hoping you kind folks have some solution for me? Since this is only happening on my phone and only on Rogers internet I can't really understand where's the problem. My phone or the internet. And this happens on both bands.

Here's info of my phone:

Model # LG H812

Android Version 6.0

P.S This is driving me crazy not being able to solve

Hello @sjshah,

Welcome to the Forums!

Were you able to resolve this issue since you posted?

We want to help you, but we would need further information.

How long have you had your device for? Did you just start experiencing this issue?

Did you change something in your settings, or download and install a new OS before noticing this issue?

I have an idea for you to resolve this issue. Please take a look at the following steps to know how to set up the Smart Lock feature on your LG G4:

1. Enter into Settings;
  2. Then, go to the General tab;
  3. In the “Privacy” section, tap the “Security” option;
  4. There, you have to scroll to the bottom where you’ll find the “Advanced” section;
  5. Tap on “Trust agents”;
  6. In the “Trust agents” menu, make sure that Smart Lock is set to On;
  7. Go back to the Settings and enter Display;
  8. Choose the Lock Screen option;
  9. In the “Lock Screen” menu, you will see the Smart Lock option. Note that you will not see this option if you have not completed the previous steps as long as a secure lock type (PIN, pattern, etc.) must be set up for Smart Lock to be available;
  10. Enter the current unlock method;
  11. You should see the Smart Lock splash screen now, where you can add “trusted” devices;
  12. Tap the “Add Trusted Device” option;
  13. Choose any of the following available options then follow the onscreen instructions to set up a trusted unlock:

Trusted devices – Set Bluetooth or NFC devices to keep your LG G4 unlocked when that device is connected;
Trusted places – You can also set certain locations to keep your smartphone unlocked whenever you’re there;

From that point on, if you have one of your trusted devices near your LG G4, its lockscreen will switch to a simple swipe lock, and when this device is out of range, your lock screen will go back to the original lock screen that you had configured.

Let us know if this fixed your issue! 

RogersMaude

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for suggesting a solution! Well I'm glad to say the problem hasn't occurred for the past week. I did do a factory reset (that didn't help though), then I tried to ignore battery optimizations for WiFi and connectivity apps. That also did not work. A few days later it just stopped happening itself. I'm not sure what happened exactly to help it, but I'm just happy it just isn't happening anymore. But if it persists I will try your suggested solution.

Once again, thank you so much.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi again!

The problem started again, randomly. Came back with a vengeance. I've had my cellphone for 2 years, never has this problem occurred. but ever since I've gotten Rogers internet (21st September) this problem has occurred. It doesn't happen with any other Wi-Fi networks in the house. I tried the Trusted Device method, but you see I don't think that works for my problem. The Wi-Fi disconnects whenever the phone goes to sleep, or is locked. And I don't  understand why it's occurring with my phone only. I really want to get rid of this problem. It is causing alot of problems for me.

Thanks fpr your help!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello. I am having the same issue as sjshah. This problem started roughly one month ago. I had the CGN3ACSMR and then I switched to the CGNM-3552-ROG. However, the disconnects still occur. When I am connected to the CGNM-3552, I noticed the device (LG G3) has one IPv4 address, and 5 IPv6 addresses.

IPv4: 192.168.0.10

IPv6: fe80:7af8:82ff:fed1:ad7f

2607:fea8:311f:fd86:7af8:82ff:fed1:ad7f

2607:fea8:311f:fd86:45db:b2db:ec60:9779

fd00:a84e:3f41:6b32:7af8:82ff:fed1:ad7f

fd00:a84e:3f41:6b32:45db:b2db:ec60:9779

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sjshah, @OMWTS, can you have a look at the following thread to see if there is anything in there that you haven't tried already.

https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/79419/wifi-disconnects-during-sleep

I suspect that there might be some issue with Power Save Polling (PSP) if that is implemented in the Hitron modems.  It seems that Intel and every other company have their own interpretations of how PSP is supposed to work.  I don't know if this is the actual cause so at this point its more of an educated guess.  A little higher than a stab in the dark, but not by much.